1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

test drive provided interesting result

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mudmanrv, May 25, 2012.

1. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ok, this one surprised me. i'm currently shopping and homing on what to buy. definitly buying new - but having hard time deciding between 2012 prius 3 or 4 and the new v3 ... today i drove a v2 and a 3/4 no salesman with me... here's what happened and my findings.

this was my second drive, and i wanted to focus on seat comfort, road noise, and mileage.

3/4 first drive - left dealer, went a few blocks to a walmart stopped and reset trip computer - tweaked the radio, set a/c to auto - it was 88 today and played with the seat controls. pulled out hit a couple lights and headed out of town on a rural highway, ran in normal mode to attempt to get best average for real world numbers. drove about 15 miles passing one small town 45mph zone... turned around at the next one and headed back. running north south - set cruise at 60, total trip about 32 miles. consumption for tripa avg was something like 43mpg. give or take a few tenths. avg speed i think 36-38mph on display.

switched to a v2 they had... did same trip - only almost forgot to set trip to 0 so as i rolled up to first light, i hit reset. rolled out of town, same as before... to me...
    at first instant mpg was showing 33, to 36... as i got out and hit cruise... it quickly jumped into the low 40s... got to turn around town - went around block entirely in ev.. hit the road again cruise back on at 60 same as before.. as i rolled back into town of dealership i was seeing 45mpg... this is at 30 miles driven.... then i got onto a more busy highway 4 lane - still 50-55 mph though. several stop lights and a couple miles up the road, turned around and headed back . got back to dealership -and the v topped out the trip average at 46.3 mpg for something like 38 miles.

i then climbed in the back seat of each to check comfort. etc. surprisingly i fit in both back seats. though std prius had more room to me, and was able to get feet under driver seat. v-toes were tight, and heels hit the step up when getting out. headroom definitely better...in v as well as space. though i do like the open tub in the cargo area of the 3/4 vs the styrofoam cubby's in the v.

knee rested on flying buttress of the 3/4 but it didnt seem over bearing...though long trip it might. v definitely gave feeling of more space there as having open area allowed to sag out the knee...

compared to current vehicle, left foot hit wheel well, had to more to right and roll ankle or slide foot back and set flat. this was on both models equally.

road noise was pleasantly quiet - on both, though maybe a little more mirror wind noise on 3/4. tire noise seemed similar.

as for handling, surprisingly, the v seemed flatter in the corners even though taller and heavier. i think someone said it has rear sway bar std. where 3/4 is an addon??

so the choice isnt getting any easier.
    i can get a 3/4 with leather for 28147, a v3 for 27300, and a 3/3 for 25600. each is base with floor mats - no sunroofs, etc.

the 3/4 is most bang for buck - though the v would definitely be versatile. we have a mini van so space, not so important. i commute about 100 miles a day though 50 to and 50 from work... all state roads. speed 55-60. though we do have 3 kids, and v space behind seat would come in handy. ages 11, 7 , and 9 months. stroller, cooler, for a trip would not fit in gen3.

it's a tough decision - any thoughts would help - and i'm puzzled by the fuel mileage of the test drive. the only thing i can think of is that with the lower gear ratio, the v seemed to get up and go a bit quicker and that it didnt have to work as hard to maintain speed whereas the std pri with the taller ratio, accells a bit slower and needs to work a little harder to maintain???? winds were from the south at 10-15, first leg was north leg 2 was south.

thanks for all the input...

2. Cap'n

Cap'n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We're in a very similar boat. We've gone back and forth between the two cars.

This morning we expect to purchase my wife's v3 with leather. To us the additional room / versatility and smoother ride of the v outweigh the cost advantage and peppiness of the hatchback III.

We have three grandchildren (ages 11, 3, and 1) who we think will appreciate the backseat of the v more than the hatchback (no floor hump; more space between rows; and a couple inches more width). They're our son's children and live just a few blocks from us, so we often have the three of them together. (That's a real blessing!)

If the v serves us well, I'd seriously consider selling my 2010 Honda FIT Sport/NAVI (wonderful car) for a III.

It's been fun "agonizing" over which to choose for our first hybrid experience.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Delaying the trip reset on the v made a substantial difference in the accumulated mileage calculation. The first mile is always much, much poorer mileage as the car is warming up.

It sounds as if either car would suit you well enough. I got a leftover III with sunroof package and enjoy it very much. I look forward to the daily challenge of scoring a good fuel economy score.

4. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I average in the 50s mpg with the v. For your 100 mile commute, you should be able to easily average 45mpg and above. For me the v is a much more comfortable and versatile car than the regular Prius it replaced. We find that we don't really need our minivan because of it. I think that the v3 is the way to go.

5. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    correction on the trip reset - on the 3/4 i turned into a parking lot ... hit reset then took off... on the v - i drove past turn to said parking lot - so i hit reset while driving up to next light - less than a block away ... only difference was i was rolling vs setting still. wouldn't think it would skew that much - but i found it odd that i got better mileage in the v - which is supposed to do worse than the 3/4 ...

6. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There is no "one correct answer" to your inquiry. Different people have different needs and preferences. Instead, think of it as a quest.

One thing I can guarantee you, though. Whichever one you buy, it will undoubtedly be the very best car you ever had - because it is yours.