1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drives by really tall drivers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TheHorsts, Apr 16, 2009.

1. TheHorsts

TheHorsts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone out there that is particularly tall - 6' 3"++ - that has test driven the 2010?

I'm 6' 8" and would be driving the current Prius if it had a longer seat track and telescoping steering wheel. I understand that both of these are included with the new generation. So, I'm hopeful.

Generally in a car of this size, if I've comfortably adjusted the seat, it is now a 3 passenger car. And that's OK for our needs.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone that is really tall that has had a chance to drive one of these.

-- leg room?
    -- head room?
    -- knees hitting the center console?

Thanks.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sean (screen name Right Lane Cruiser), one of the moderators at CleanMPG, might have had a chance to drive it. He's 6'6". Here's a pic (courtesy of Evan Fusco) of him sitting in it in Detroit at its official unveiling:

[​IMG]

That was before they let anyone drive it, but he might have had an opportunity later. You could PM him at CleanMPG if no one answers up here.

3. sferris

sferris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    im interested in this as well, being the tree that i am (6'5")

4. TheHorsts

TheHorsts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. And helpful picture, too. I'm frequently at CleanMPG, too. I'll see if I can find him over there. And encourage him to comment here, if he will.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm only 6 1 but I fit with a lot more room than in my 08. I don't have any pictures to refer to but having sat and driven it, its more comfortable than the current model.

6. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi Jim;

Yes, I recall this particular moment at the PDC in Detroit and I remember Sean did fit pretty well after adjusting the front seat and wheel.
    I also recall Wayne (also a 6 footer but shorter than Sean) testing the Prius III rear seat at the NAIAS show earlier that day and finding the amount of room to be less than what the Prius II has to offer.

Cheers;

MSantos

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As it should be. My 35" er's have about 4" knee /ankle room to back of driver's seat in the 2009, full back.

But, tomorrow, there'll be 3.5" less legroom in back seat ... woooohoooo!

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If that pic is with the seat fully back and down, that is not very good looking legroom, but maybe it's up and forward a little.

9. TheHorsts

TheHorsts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's actually not too bad. When you're that tall, you almost never have lots of knee room, etc. In our Toyota Sienna, have got, at most, 1 inch if room between my knees and the dashboard. And my right knee constantly rests against the center console.

The designers don't typically take really tall drivers (or passengers) into consideration that much. And it's understandable.

I'm just happy when they don't needlessly go out of the way to make us miserable. We'd be driving a Honda Civic Hybrid right now if they hadn't made a bonehead decision about the parking brake -- it doesn't retract all the way down AND it even angles into the driver's space (and pokes into my thigh the whole time). It was classic.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    deleted, off topic

Attached Files:

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    an option, just in case.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/60638-drivers-seat-remounted-3-75-back.html

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hey, the search tool is a wonderfull thing. With that said, I DID post pic's last january. anybody? and since I was able to gaze at the top of everyone's head at PCD (as well as at Nokia Center ), one might consider my seating comments. In sum, sitting behind the fully extended front passenger's seat, I commented, "hey, I fit!" ... similarly after the Nokia Center / LA test drive, all my comments were positive, including driver's seating. In contrast, prior to installing seat rail extenders on our '04, my right knee would knock the shift lever into neutral about once a year. (inseam size 36"). Hope that (repeat) helps.