1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test driving an old Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aranthon, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Aranthon

Aranthon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I posted yesterday about shopping for an older, relatively high mileage Prius (2005--2006 w/ 120k to 170k miles). I've taken two for a test drive, and I was very disappointed with the performance of the first. It felt very sluggish and slow to accelerate. At first, I attributed that to the model, assuming that the Prius simply didn't have good acceleration. (I'm coming from a Pontiac Vibe, so I'm not expecting a sports car, but it still seemed almost dangerously slow). The second car I took out was much better, so I'm still considering the Prius.

If the battery was nearing the end of its life, would that account for the poor performance? Are there other indicators I should watch for when I take the car out? I know more or less what to look for taking an ICE car for a drive, but I'm new to the hybrid scene.

I found a local place that will do a battery replacement for about $1500 (reconditioned battery), so I'm feeling a little more at ease with that risk (figuring I'll use battery replacement as a negotiating data point), but anything I can use to weed out an incipient failure would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it had been sitting for a long time the car the HV Battery could have been low on charge. If so, the car would have been solely dependent on the engine to accelerate. Normally you can get an extra 50 HP from the motors while accelerating. If it was still sluggish after a 1/2 hour drive, then the HV Battery was not charging right. (this might be the battery's fault or the inverter, no telling. walk away)

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A lot of time low pressure in the tires will make the Prius feel more sluggish than normal. Also, if the ICE is not fully warmed up and or traction battery is not at least midways on the scale she might feel a little sluggish.

There is a lot of things that might cause one to be "sluggish". The above are just two examples. Another to consider might be a dragging brake.

FWIW, some have good luck with traction battery rebuilds, others don't. It seems that those who pay the piper (Toyota) have the best luck if they have to service the traction battery.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you. (y)

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You may still have a bit of warranty left on the pack as it is 10 years/150000 miles presuming the car has always been titled in NJ.

I wouldn't trust a rebuilt pack. I'd either go with a used one from the salvage yard or new, I doubt a $1500 battery will last long.

Read through Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com and search through truecar.com.

You are fortunate that the EEVC (Eastern Electric Vehicle Club) has a presence in the area. It's good to be able to tap the expertise of guys that know how to build cars when you need help with your own maintenance & repairs.

With the owner's permission, reset the fuel economy on the display. Drive the car long enough for it to get into the high 40s or low 50s. It shouldn't take long.

The bars on the battery display should not wildly or quickly fluctuate. You shouldn't hear the fan whine from the back seat.

valde3 likes this.