1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test driving before buying

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by creativeguy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've seen a new trend in the auto industry (especially with hot cars like the Prius) where the inventory is kept "on the shelf" and customers are only allowed to play with and drive dedicated test vehicles. I think this a great way to ensure that buyers actually get a new car and not one that lookie-loos batter on test drives.

The concern I have is that I really don't want to pay $25-30K for something I've never driven. This isn't like buying a toaster and returning it. Once you buy a car, it's yours... for better or for worse. I know that a test drive can't determine whether a car is a lemon or not, but I obviously wouldn't buy a car that doesn't start or had a wheel fall off during the test drive. Without a test drive, those things will be first be noticed as I drive it off the lot... after paying!

Has anyone had any problems with being allowed to test drive the actual vehicle you intend to buy in between the time where you agree on a price and sign the papers? If the dealer put's up a fight, does anyone know if I have the legal right to demand a test drive before signing?

2. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've never been denied a test drive in my life. Last look at a 2010 Prius, the Sales Rep offered me a test drive while his used car Manager looked over my trade. Since I'd already driven one, I declined the test drive, but he gave me the keys anyway so I drove it just to kill time (BTW, we could not reach an agreement so I did not buy).

If a dealer wouldn't let me test drive a car I was serious about buying, I'd simply take my business elsewhere, and not go back to the dealer who wouldn't let me drive one. I'd bet that taking the "legal" angle will work to your disadvantage when all is said and done...YMMV.

3. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I test drove a 2009 before my 2010 came in and then the 2010 just to make sure the comments I heard about the seat comfort, etc didn't really bother me. I'm not real sure how you'd mess a Prius up on a test drive, although when I ordered mine they locked it up. If it's a lot car you could test drive it.

Now I also understand peoples concern though. A couple years ago I tested a Lightning Ford Pickup and in the 80's I remember testing a BMW 320i, an Audi Quatro Coupe and a Volvo Turbo Wagon. I almost lost control of the Audi along the Kanawha River. They all put a smile on my face.
    Before the Prius and TCH I had an Infiniti FX45. I had a "test drive" where the salesperson actually took me 95mph on a twisty road. He said he knew I was interested in it's performance. He then let me drive it. I didn't buy that one, but a few months later I ended up with a new (undriven) FX45.

4. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I test drove a dedicated test vehicle when I was looking into buying my 2010 Prius. And did not test drive the car I purchased. I didn't even ask, so I can't say with certainty whether they would've let me if I asked, but I bet they would. I didn't feel the need, as they also have a 3 day 250 mile money back guarantee on all of their new cars. :)

Another thing I liked about them was the trade in procedure. I'm used to not only not being able to be present when they evaluate the car, but not even being allowed to meet the person who is evaluating it. With this dealership not only did I meet the guy, I went out with him to observe and comment on his evaluation. We had a nice discussion about my (now old) car, and I was able to point things out and answer some questions for him.

And now I'm pretty happy with my new 2010. :)

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was curious what my mileage would be with all the gear I carry and the roads I drive. The salesman had me drive a used Prius on the lot over night, I put about 100 miles on it. It sold me on the car and the dealership. And both have been great so far, I still get the mileage I test drove or better..