1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test driving my first Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by whiskers, Feb 9, 2013.

1. whiskers

whiskers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will be test driving my first Prius next Saturday. I am looking at the persona series or the three series. I do want the 17 inch wheels. I also want the lower door moldings, door edge guards, mud guards and I am thinking on the paint protection film. I am wondering if it is best to go thru the dealer to purchase and install these, or should I buy online after I buy the car? I signed up for the accessory shop on here. Would it be wiser to go thru them? I just want to get some feed back on what Prius owners get as far as accessories. Thanks

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It ALWAYS cost more to go through the Dealer, whether it is "best" really depends on your skill set and/or ability to find good installers. You are obviously not hurting for money.

3. southernguy

southernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if bought at the time of purchase through the dealer you get everything warrantied as new car warranty

4. whiskers

whiskers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to try to install most of these myself if they come with instructions.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Based on that response, most you could do, but leave the film to someone with experience. If the the vehicle does not come with factory 17" wheels it is possible, but be aware, the 2010-2011 with 17" wheels (Level 5) had beefed up steering racks and could handle them. Do your research first and happy shopping.

6. whiskers

whiskers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I have learned a lot on this forum.

7. southernguy

southernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about the 2012's and 17" wheels? is it the same as the 2010-11??

8. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I prefer getting factory oem accessories installed by the dealer, especially if it's the same place I bought the car. I've found that it give me a bit of an edge if something ever did go wrong with the accessories and/or the car. I've said things like "but I spent all this money on the car AND accessories from you and you won't fix this for me?" and with this little comment, they usually come around to a very reasonable compromise! It's really no different than frequenting and becoming a regular at a local neighborhood store, the more you shop there and the more you get to know the management/employees/owner, the more they are willing to keep you happy and coming back. Another concern about getting oem accessories installed elsewhere is that if you have issues, you may have to take it to two different shops or the dealer can blame the other shop for a poor install as being reason for problems. Best wishes.

southernguy likes this.
  9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius 5 (which comes with the 17" wheels) is listed with a larger turning circle than the others. Is there a change in the steering stops necessary with the 17" wheels or is this just a coincidence?
    I really like the turning circle of my 2011 III and would hate to have to give that up.

10. whiskers

whiskers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I had my first test drive of the black persona. I am coming from driving a 1995 honda prelude special edition with 96,000 miles on it. I do like special editions. My first impressions were as soon as I sat in the drivers seat I felt like I was staring at the visor. I am 6'1" I thought I was too tall for the car. I do not have long legs I have a long torso. The salesman lowered the seat as much as possible. As I was driving it did not bother me as much. The visibility was fine. i noticed it had a small steering wheel than I am used to. Also noticed it did not have the pick up going out of a stop at a stop light. It did have the power once it got up to speed and I was impressed with the power over all. It handled fine. I think the 17 inch wheels help that. I did like the outside style and the interior. I decided not to buy it and keep driving my honda prelude until it breaks down or someone buys it from me. My next car will be a prius. The question is I do not know when. :) Thanks for everyone's help. This is a wonderful forum.

11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    wow, 95 prelude with 96k miles, that's low. 5k miles per year?

12. whiskers

whiskers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, for the first ten years I had it, it was a second car for me which I hardly ever used.

13. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The Prelude and Prius are very different cars. I am sure you can sell the Prelude if you wanted with that mileage and assuming it's in good shape. From the sound of it, you're not anxious to move on. Either way, good that you're taking your time.

14. whiskers

whiskers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The feeling I had while doing the test drive was why am I buying a new car? I think it was that i still do enjoy driving my Prelude. My Prelude is in great shape. I think that it was just not the right time to get a new car. But when that time does come it will be a Prius.

15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    wow, really.. ok.. a lot has changed since 95 but if you're happy with it, done deal.