1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Drove a Prius II Today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by The Critic, Jun 14, 2009.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As background, I've driven a number of 2008 Prius rentals, but this was my first experience with a 2010.

Since there have been many reviews of the new Prius, I will limit my comments to areas that I feel strongly about:

1. Ride quality:

I test drove a Prius II with the Avid S33 tires. The ride is unusually firm for a Toyota. It actually felt a bit German-- firm, yet comfortable and well-controlled. It is definitely a significant improvement over the choppy ride of the previous generation.

2. Driving Position:

I am not impressed by the "new and improved" driving position. Here's why.

The driving position in the previous generation was similar to sitting on a distant park bench with a steering wheel that was a bit too far from the driver. This particular setup had the steering wheel either too high and/or too far away from the driver, depending on your height and your build.

For me, that driving position was perfect as it gave me plenty of room for my knees. I think the lower portion of my legs are quite long, therefore, on some cars my knees will come close to rubbing the steering wheel.

The new Prius has this problem-- my knees come pretty close to rubbing the steering wheel, despite having the seat all the way down. I understand that the new driving position will be better for shorter drivers, but I think the older setup was better for me. Still, it isn't a deal breaker as I fit fine, but I preferred the older setup. However, I must say the cloth seats in the new Prius are much more comfortable than the ones in the previous generation.

3. Improved drivetrain:

I didn't notice any difference. With four people in the car and the A/C running, the engine noise and engine performance seemed identical to the previous generation. The engine was just as noisy, and the performance, while perfectly adequate, was not any better than the previous generation. Sure, there's probably an improvement if you did the 0-60 test, but the improvement isn't noticeable at all during everyday driving. And this was with the car in power mode as well.

4. Steering feel:

It's still numb, but at least the steering now has a nice weight to it. The steering in the previous generation was a bit too light, and I appreciate the well-weighted feel of the new one. Still, I would prefer to have better steering feel, but I can't have everything, right?

5. Rear Visibility:

To be fair, I don't exactly remember how the rear visibility is in the previous generation. It has been a while since I last rented the Prius. I don't think it was great, but for some reason, the rear visibility of this new model seemed exceptionally poor to me. I could see out of the glass on the upper portion of the hatch, but visbility was very poor for the lower portion of the hatch. For me at least, the back-up camera option will be a must.

In conclusion, I think the 2010 Prius is still a great car. However, for those of you who are happy with your 2nd generation, I wouldn't expect to be amazed by the new model, at least from the initial test drive. The changes are not significant enough to justify an upgrade.

2. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ooh, a Jeremy Clarkson style review. A whole load of negative points, then a conclusion that it's a great car, and finally a sort of back-handed negative sentence to finish off.

1 person likes this.
  3. turapeach

turapeach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never driven any Prius (can't til we get back to the States in the middle of July), but just looking at it, it seems to me that rear visibility is likely to be an issue (especially compared to the Previa that I am used to driving (sigh... now THAT was a minivan!))- which is part of why I'm thinking about a used Gen II with the back-up camera instead of a 2010 II.

4. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can believe this. I went over to the dealer and looked at a 2010. I'm glad I bought my 2009

5. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, official performance figures tells us, that 2010 Prius is not much faster than 2009 one. Acceleration is a bit better by one tenth of a second.

But due to a bigger engine, performance improvements are probably more visible at highway speeds. New engine needs less rpm for the same speed and also consumes less fuel at higher speeds and loads. For lower consumption at lower speeds where bigger engine is not better engine choice, hybrid components were improved and electric mode is more used than in old model. So things got better.

Basically expect evolution and not revolution with the New Prius and you will not get disappointed. :)

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know where your figures came from, but the improvement in acceleration, in a 0-60mph test, is better than simply one tenth of a second. More to the point, however, is that the 0-60 testing was done with the car in its regular mode, not eco, not power. In eco, it would be slower, while in power it would be faster. To my knowledge, no one has reported 0-60 testing in power mode.

This is definitely the case. Good point and an important one. This change in ICE displacement produces more power and allows the car to travel at higher speeds with lower energy requirements. The translation: much higher MPGs at highway speeds.

I would say refinement throughout on the mechanical end, and I would say it is a significant change. There are some ergonomic changes, mainly improvements, but not so much that low-mile Gen2 owners HAVE to have this car. Well . . . some of us did, but that's just an issue of personal preference and looking to experience the newest and latest.

Those who really are concerned about the stability of their Gen2 cars at high speed, particularly in cross winds, should test drive the Gen3. It really is significantly better. I have the Prius V, and I think that car really makes a BIG difference.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if you're flooring it to get a 0-60 time, the mode you're in won't matter.

1 person likes this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "It has been a while since I last rented the Prius."

So you are basing all these evaluations on distant rental time in generation 2's and a test drive of a generation 3?

I suppose thanks for the input but why bother? I think the comments of owners and long term daily drivers are more significant than somebody that is comparing a test drive to distant time behind the wheel of a rented Prius.

Immediate impact of ergonomics aside, which I think everyone can evaluate instantly the second they sit in the car. Plus I feel is going to be different for everyone. Comments on power, handling and feel differences I find more valid from those that have and/or are still driving and owning both models.

I've made some comments about my feel concerning the external visual differences between generation 2 and generation 3, but given just sitting in The Prius and short test drives, I don't feel I'm qualified to give real input into driving quality.

Again "thanks" but I'll go with the impressions of many of those in Prius Chat that have owned Generation 2 Prius (in somecases also Generation 1) and now are owners of Generation 3.

Not that your comments aren't valid, but ergonomic complaints and observations are going to as different from person to person as people themselves are. One person is going to like the ergonomics of Generation 2 better, another Generation 3. In general, I think I'll go with the 6 way adjustable seat with optional lumbar support. Did you even realize you could now adjust the seat height?

Also the improved drivetrain was produced to be less expensive to manufacture and lighter and more efficient. However, if Toyota did their job right you shouldn't notice any difference, outside of whatever percentage of Mileage gain to which the new drivetrain contributes. There was nothing wrong with Generation 2 drivetrain so if you drive the new Prius and "feel" no difference then good for Toyota.

Again, I hesitate to offer any "driving impressions" but also the bigger engine is significant for two reasons. Better efficiency at long term highway speeds. I doubt a "test drive" would allow for much evaluation in this area. Also significant is the beltless nature of the new engine.

This engine will have to get some history behind it before real comment can be made on many fronts. However not having belt driven accessories such as Air Conditioning feeding off the engine is a significant difference between Prius 2nd Generation and Prius 3rd Generation. Full Electric accessories, beltless engine and new heat exchange system are all reasons someone might want to consider upgrading to a 3rd Generation. Not to mention no fuel bladder and no thermal coolant holder. I will be very curious as to how efficient this 3rd Generation is during the winter months with the new heat exhaust exchange system vs. The Thermal Coolant bottle that existed in the 2nd Generation. If I'm not owning by then, I'll just have to listen to the Prius Chat people that have owned both. I'm hoping for greater efficiency, even though I'm sure even with the new system there will be a drop off in mileage.

To conclude " The Changes aren't significant enough to justify an upgrade " based simply on rental experience vs. a test drive is far too short sighted a review.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. 2010II

2010II New Member

Model:
    II
    The Critic had some reasonable points. I actually liked the look of the older Gen II Prius better than the Prius III, but they seem like very similar cars.

But I just ordered a 2010 because they cut the price from the 2009 MSRP. Dealers were not lowering the prices on the leftover 2009s enough to make up for the depreciation of a leftrover model.

BTW, Koons' Abel backed up his offer in Prius Chat.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just to emphasize Tideland's point, Eco, Power, and Normal modes will all produce the same zero to sixty figures. None of the modes change the maximum power, only the throttle response at lower levels. If you floor it, you still get full power.

Tom

11. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I should have been more clear. I last rented a 2008 Prius about a month ago. Altogether, if you add up the number of times that I have rented the previous generation Prius, I have about six hours of actual driving time.

While I agree that it isn't entirely fair to form an opinion of a vehicle based on a 15 minute test drive, remember that most consumers will only test drive a car for about 15-30 minutes prior to making a purchase. I think that the situation in which I gathered my impressions is unfortunately, typical of how most consumers gather their first impressions of a vehicle.

Agreed, and it would probably be more accurate for me to label this thread as "Critic's initial impressions" of a 2010 Prius. That's why auto magazines have three types of reviews-- initial drive, full test and long-term, for the exact reasons that you mentioned.

I always encourage everyone to take their own test drive of the vehicle and draw their own conclusions. And if an individual is serious about purchasing a vehicle, then a short-term rental is also a good idea.

Yes, the seat was adjusted to its lowest height.

12. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That handle says it all... "The Critic". :rolleyes:

13. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not being facetious here, just asking: did you use the steering wheel's adjustments? Not sure if that's new on the 2010 or not, in which case you might've missed it in a rental.

14. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Let me start with this: You two guys are not people who produce posts I normally consider questioning. At the same time, my experience with the 2010 (closing in on 2,400 miles now) suggests there would be a difference in 0-60 depending on the mode you're in. Yes, if you floor it you should get the same response, but I haven't seen (or felt) the response as equivalent for the first fractions (or more) of a second. That initial delay would be rather critical, I would think, in a determination of 0-60 time.

The Power Mode response is so immediate it truly scares the regular Prius driver. It shook me up enough that I just took my foot off of the pedal! At the same time, Eco Mode is so intentionally delayed that it should prevent immediate acceleration.

Perhaps I just need to do a little more field testing!

15. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good point, I hadn't thought of that. The steering wheel seemed like it was up all the way but I didn't check. In that case, I'll withhold judgement about the driving position until I get another chance to double-check on the steering wheel adjustments.

16. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually I'm going to back you up on this. :cheer2:
    I have noticed a lot of lag time in ECO mode since I've driven with it all day. Now this isn't a bad thing it's just not giving full power and when I'm going up a long grade on the highway I definately notice a difference between Power Mode and ECO mode. I don't drag race my Prius but Power mode is immediate as you say and I seriously doubt ECO mode will provide the same 0-60 times. Seat of the pants, it has less response IMO.
    Only thing is Power Mode didn't scare me. :p
    I leave the car in ECO mode all the time now. The only time I drop below 50mpg is on long grades uphill or steeper hills.

17. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 2004-2009 models have electrically driven A/C, it is only the water pump that is belt driven.

kevin

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you floor it though? Cause if you didn't, then yes there is a difference. ECO and PWR mode affect the first 50% of pedal travel so in normal everyday driving, you can tell the difference between the two.

Hmmm.... this requires more investigation! :mod:

19. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I try to drive fuel efficiently. I've not had to floor it yet and since it's still in the breakin period I wouldn't do that. But when I push the Power button I instantly know the difference under most of my driving conditions such as hills and merging or passing.
    I drive fairly sedately. I'm more worried about getting a ticket for going 45 in a 35 than on the highway where I cruise about 70mph. I did get it up to 80mph today for a short stretch where teh traffic flow was that fast. The car is so quiet and smooth that I NEED to look at the speed to make sure I'm not going too fast in a slow 30-35mph zone. :cool:
    I'm sure someone will do some drag runs with ECO mode and Power mode on Youtube. I'll let them use their gas. :D
    My area is hilly and I'm only averaging around 50-51mpg but this is only the beginning of the second tank. :)

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My jaw dropped and I couldn't swallow!

I saved testing it for an extreme condition... merging into traffic on a hard turn up a steep hill.

That particular situation just happened to provide an ideal demonstration of what the PWR mode offered.