1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drove a Prius today...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Richy2010, Aug 9, 2015.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read the OP's post.
    I don't think that is what he is referring to at all.

Last moment before the car stops?
    I'd call that "stopping" not touchy or extremely sensitive.

If you are getting some last split second grab? Maybe you should have your brakes checked.

2. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is a car bought for two reasons and two reasons alone: Utility and economy. You have to accept that it will be somewhat loud (it's light weight, made of recycled materials partly), buzzy (it's a 4-banger), and handle like a boat (It's a FWD Toyota commuter).

I went from a BMW 3-Series to a Prius which is basically a boat. But I love my little boat. It's comfortable, doesn't eat a ton of fuel, allows me to go anywhere and toss a bunch of stuff in it, and costs next to nothing to maintain. My friends think I'm crazy.

3. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your point is well taken. But believe it or not, people are now buying the Prius because they like the looks of it. We've become mainstream. People don't necessarily like the looks of the Gen II. So, I'm thinking that Toyota shouldn't change the body design for another 5 years without some real good justification other than because X years have gone by. Just make technical changes to its insides. I think I just hijacked the OP's post. Sorry.

Mike

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that is the heart of the Prius formula for success. I wouldn't deny that.
    But I would stop short of saying those are the ONLY reasons people buy a Prius.
    People tie in a LOT of reasons they own the car they choose to own. Many tangled up in conscious or subconscious ideas, in regards to self image and the world around them.
    I've hung around Prius Chat long enough to of seen that the reasons people choose Prius ownership can be pretty varied. Some more valid than others.
    I can only really speak for myself, but while fuel economy WAS probably the siren song that drew me to Hybrid investigation, I know that as I researched and discovered more and more about Prius, the idea of a relatively affordable (IMO) highly engineered vehicle, that offered a higher level of technology in the form of keyless entry, push button start, and an engine that was designed to run as "little as possible". Really appealed to me.

If the Prius was the Prius but only got 25 mpg, would I buy one? No way. But there are numerous reasons I bought a Prius and continued numerous reasons I continue to enjoy ownership and only 2 of them are Fuel Economy and Utility. I enjoy owning something still somewhat unique, I enjoy owning something with an overall high degree of technology associated with it, and I honestly enjoy the whole HSD, hybrid driving feel. It's IMO smoother and less jarring than a full ICE/regular transmission drive. I like the way HSD feels.

The funny thing is, when my Dad rides with me in my Prius, he always comments about how it feels "wrong" when we come to stop and the engine turns off. He says he always instantly thinks there is something wrong.

When I ride with him in his Rav 4, and we come to a stop and the engine does NOT turn off? That now feels "wrong" to me.

Is engine stop a reason I bought Prius? No. But it's a reason today I would recommend Prius.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Electric motor provides instant torque so regen brake is also instant. If you are used to laggy mushy hydraulic brakes, it'll feel sensitive but in truth, that's how brake should be.

Engine may start rough if they overfill the oil.