1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drove Level 3 with ATP and turned down deal

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Apr 30, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fair enough, but lay off those burgers.:p

Mendel Leisk, JohnF and mmmodem like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is what separates 'the quick and the dead'
    We are curious people and as Jason of Jalopnik pointed out "The 2016 Toyota Prius Is An Enthusiast's Car" just in another way.

The Prius is a car for car enthusiasts who are interested in fuel economy/efficiency as their primary goal. Efficiency is an aspect of a car just as much as lateral acceleration is. For most of our readers, it’s not nearly as interesting, but I’m not going to stifle anyone’s interest in cars just because it doesn’t line up with my inane interests.

Once we start thinking about Priuses as enthusiast cars and their drivers as efficiency freaks, everything starts making sense. Why do they drive so annoyingly? Probably to maximize how far they can go on a gallon, and, objectively, it’s probably no more annoying than someone in a hopped-up Integra tearing nice person around an AutoZone parking lot.

In one respect, my test drive was educational for the salesman in the car with me. He had seen others drive around and used the same words he'd describe any other car. But he'd never seen anyone 'doing laps' to measure the MPG and seen a five mile run at 99 MPG. So I mentioned,"We are doing right-hand turns around the loop not because of NASCAR which does left-hand turns but to avoid traffic that enters and leaves from the outside of the loop."

Yes, we are enthusiasts which is why the dealer now understands my requirements: (1) Level 2 ECO MPG and (2) TSS-P safety. So I'll wait a year and at the same time, keep a weather eye out for a used i3-Rex. Meanwhile, our 2003 Prius has taught me enough that it is time to go to a new home and eventually return to a raw resource for others.

Bob Wilson

#22 bwilson4web, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    JohnF likes this.
  3. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for linking that article, Bob. He says it really well. I disagree somewhat with the "annoying driving" aspect though: after 10 years of doing this I can be fairly unobtrusive about it. And I think most traffic on today's highways isn't moving as fast as the drivers think it is.

Generalizations are always dangerous. There are lots of annoying drivers on the road who are NOT hypermiling. People who slow down to look at the view, to figure out where they are going, or to fiddle with their phones. Particularly the ones who just sit there when a light turns green for them because they are preoccupied with poking at their phone (texting?).

It will probably shock you that I never test-drove the Gen 4 before buying mine. And I think I sat in it just once. I simply trusted that I liked my Gen 3, so I would like my Gen 4. And had some faith in its higher EPA ratings.

pilotgrrl, GT4Prius, Merkey and 3 others like this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Curiously, I bought our Gen-3 without a test drive. <GRINS>

In this case, I needed to see the Gen-4, Level 3 to understand the car. The moon roof was an unpleasant surprise and the sales manager pointed out it was the extra weight that compensated for 17" tires in the Touring. But I saw it as bling and the 99 MPG on the 5-mile loop was the deal breaker. If I bought that car, I would spend the rest of my time pissed about the MPG.

If I had to buy a car today, it would be the Level 2 ECO. But it is in the same price range as a used i3-Rex and would complement our Gen-3. The Gen-3 is a fine, long distance traveler and cargo hauler. The 168 hp, rear-wheel drive, i3-Rex can handle larger tow loads easily and I like taking the "B" pillars out. This makes it much more practical for running my wife around town.

So I have a plan for 2016 that we may or may not execute depending upon opportunity. Whoever decided the Level 2 ECO would not have a TSS-P option made a bad decision.

Bob Wilson

#24 bwilson4web, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    iplug likes this.
  5. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On the same token, having a trim level 4 with almost 4k$ of options but losing the cute LED fogs and sweet seventeen inch rims is another bad decision ?

LG-H901 ?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 2016 17" rims are just another black rim with wheel covers, my 2 cents.

7. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are they really?

LG-H901 ?

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Frederickdawg likes this.
  9. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another reason I'm not a fan of moonroof:
    Sunroofs are exploding at an increasing rate, says Consumer Reports
    • Shattering and exploding sunroofs happen once a month somewhere in the U.S.
    • The reasons are unclear, but the problem has increased over time as roofs have become larger and more common.
    • It is still a rare event but dangerous and may in some cases be the result of faulty materials.
    Bob Wilson

11. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Anyone know why in the U.S. you seem to call them "moon roofs"?

Seems an odd name!

Are U.S. folk especially interested in looking at the moon while night driving?
    Sounds risky! And as for moonbathing, well in my book it's overrated.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO, kithmo and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    News outlets just love shock headlines don't they? A single sentence taken out of context which invokes terror. However the article itself admits,

"It is still a rare event.... about one incident occurs every month"

One incident a month out of the millions of cars on the road with sunroofs. Not exactly the pandemic that the headline implies. Of course they also felt the need to warn us that:

"incidents occur in every region of the United States."

whoa now I'm really scared, I assumed it was just happening in the midwest. Thank you Captain Obvious at CNBC, that's the equivalent of informing us that tire blowouts occur in every region of the United States. Who knew?

Okay I will admit that even one sunroof failure is too many if it leads to an injury (or worse), and perhaps the trend for panoramic sunroofs isn't helping, although I haven't seen data that panoramic sunroofs have a higher rate of failure, but maybe they do. And the article also didn't mention the number of injuries, if any, caused by failed sunroofs, which I would think is even more rare. A concern yes, but not worthy of a sensational headline in my opinion.

Technically a moonroof is a type of sunroof. The original sunroofs were sliding panels (not windows) that either tilted or slid open, allowing air and sunlight into the cabin. Later versions used tinted glass instead of an opaque panel, allowing a view of the sky even when the sunroof is closed. These versions were typically referred to as moonroofs to distinguish them from the traditional version. Nowadays nearly all sunroofs contain glass, and the terms sunroof and moonroof have become pretty much interchangeable.

As for the name, I always assumed that it was because a traditional sunroof would normally be used only in daytime, just like you normally only drive with your windows down in the daytime. Whereas a glass roof can in theory be used at nighttime allowing moonlight into the car. Not that people with moonroofs actually do that but at least that was always my assumption what the name implies.

#32 Since2002, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    RCO, pilotgrrl and mmmodem like this.
  13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Wow and I thought us Yorkshiremen were tight :LOL:

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  14. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, odd. Though, I live in the semi-tropics, and only once rode in a car with a SUN-roof. And ended up with mild sunburn. I was talking to a salesman who said they sell much better down south - where there isn't as much sun!!!

So, maybe MoonRoof would be a more valid description here or in the tropics. But, really, I don't see the point at all.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Roofs are getting stiffer for rollover protection. Moonroofs are getting larger (pano). Correlation? Or complete coincidence? Who knows.

I thought it was a Japanese thing. My understanding is:

The European had sunroofs in their cars that can be tilted or slide open, manually or electrically. The Japanese, always one to copy the Europeans ( :p) probably said, "hey, why not make it glass instead of metal?". And I'm guessing marketing said, instead of calling it a glass sunroof, call it a moonroof as you may use it to see the stars and look at the moon at night (I'm sure it's more poetic in Japanese and doesn't translate well into English :LOL:).

Anyway, it's basically to distinguish (initially) between the sunroofs that European cars had and the glass ones that the Japanese cars have. Practically everyone now uses glass so they're all moonroofs. Haven't seen a car with a factory sunroof in ages.

16. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EDIT/Addition - Convertibles. Worse still.

My daughter hired a pair of OPEL Astra Convertibles as wedding cars - but they needed picking up and dropping off an hour away. I was part of the driving process for collection, and a one way trip as passenger where the driver insisted that you can't ride in a convertible with the top up had me sunburned much worse. I had a hat, but it blew off almost immediately, so I left it off.
    upload_2017-10-23_11-24-44.png

RCO likes this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ムーンルーフ&スンルーフ (moonroof & sunroof) are loan words in Japanese. Unfortunately, nothing poetic.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol thanks! Good thing a number of automotive words are in katakana. Makes it easy to guess the Japanese spec sheet.

I was thinking more of the "look at the stars" line rather than the word moonroof :D

pilotgrrl likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Geesh that sounds like distracted driving lol.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When parked, dang it! lol

Mendel Leisk likes this.