1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Drove Prius and Venza

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by carinpoland, Apr 5, 2010.

1. carinpoland

carinpoland New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove a 2010 Toyota Prius and the Toyota Venza. One would think that these two automobiles would be for a different market segment. But I have to say, it's the two vehicles that I am both interested in. Finally taking a test drive revealed some interesting results.

Toyota Prius:

Pros:

• For somebody of my stature weight and height the 2010 model is light years more comfortable than the 2009 model I drove a year ago. The seating position in the old model definitely felt cramped and if not cramped then it definitely felt awkward. It was just not a great driving position. I was surprised that the 2010 model seems to have more legroom and a more laid-back position with enough headroom even with the sunroof. It really is a pleasant car to drive.
    • I was surprised that while the ride was firm it was not much more firm than the much heavier and bigger Venza. I was testing it on relatively bad roads that were under construction. If there seems to be a difference in ride quality, it's definitely not large.
    • I was also surprised that road noise was relatively low and very similar in both cars. The Toyota previous definitely had more wind noise but less noise from the engine at full throttle. Both cars were reasonably quiet
    • the steering definitely has a little bit more resistance than the old model, it was smaller and fatter than in the Venza. Both cars did not have as good steering feel as in 1994 Honda Civic.
    • It comes with a Smart Key system which is convenient
    • it's much easier and cheaper to get 17 inch or 15 inch winter tires as they are available readily
    • going 115 km an hour on cruise control onto a slight head wind I was getting between 6 L per hundred kilometers
    • the continuously variable transmission gives smoother ride

Cons:

• Lower ground clearance for handling tough winter conditions
    • rear seat room is definitely less
    • looking at the track record for hybrid batteries, I'm going to need to buy one for $4000 Cdn.10 years down the road. I plan to keep the car for 15. That's a lot of money that's going to be offset from saving fuel. In fact the car might not be worth as much as a new battery. As for getting a hybrid battery from the auto wrecker, the cheap battery from the auto wrecker is most likely going to be at the end of its life as well. So that is not an option
    • the car was totally gutless, but I don't need a car to race just to drive

Toyota Venza: 4cl AWD

Pros:

• the vehicle has a much higher ground clearance and comes with all-wheel drive for better bad weather driving
    • definitely had better acceleration, especially at lower speeds.
    • Large cargo area that would fit both of my German shepherds without me having to fold down rear seats
    • a lot more room in the rear seats
    • going up a slight head wind at 115 km an hour I was getting 9 L per hundred kilometers, not that much more even though the car is huge on the outside
    • it's bigger and taller, so I am guessing it is safer
    • dual zone climate control

Cons:

• standard 19 inch wheels have difficulty in finding decent studded tires for the winter, from what I can tell there is none available
    • A lot of the extra width of the car is used up by the large center console. Leaving surprisingly not as much room as one would think up front for driver. Not much more then Prius
    • the six speed automatic transmission was not as smooth and seems to have been hunting for gears, thankfully there is a manual shifter that can be used in the transmission
    • The steering feel is definitely lighter with the steering wheel being bigger and the rim of the steering wheel being skinnier. This generally translated into not so great steering feel. But it was definitely adequate, did not feel like a boat from the 70s. Still Prius felt slightly better.

Hard to decide.

I'm going to be doing mostly highway driving, including driving in winter conditions at four o'clock in the morning no matter what the weather is going to be like. For my work I absolutely need to show up. So it's a tough call, as I generally felt the Prius might be a better fit. So far I have made it to work in my civic, but there were days when I was the first one on the road after a snowstorm in the bottom was starting to plow the road. Leaving me with the sensation of how much traction my wheels have. I also have not found a good barrier for my dogs to carry them in the Prius. I want to give them enough room to move around, yet not too much room as to minimize damage to them in case of an accident. Still I don't have a family, so the Venza seems excessive. I only take my dogs occasionally in the car.

2. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Becareful with anything that you can do manual shifting.

Toyota has those semi autos which they sell here as full auto. What it is, is a manaul box but made automatic and shifts for you automatically but it is really mechanical. In the beginning it will seem to be ok but after a year or so you will find it having problems getting into gear.

They are getting rid of them here because it is terrible so don't fall for it. CVT is the way to go forward and the Prius has that too. Even the new honda here has something similiar called I-shift and it is nothing intelligent at all. The whole process is mechincal and it will fail sooner than you think.

If you say it is difficult to find gear then stay well clear from the Venza.

As for the battery problem. $4000 is nothing after 10 years and besides as there are more Prius on the road it won't be $4000 you will be paying but probably $2000 or even less in the future.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Want something better than the Venza? Get the Lexus RX350, or even the 450h.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can get a brand new HV battery pack for under $2,000. That's if you want to replace a brand new pack in a 10 years old car. In 10 years it will cost less as well. In 2008, the price of the pack has been cut. Toyota is ramping up to 1 million HV battery per year. That kind of volume will lower the cost further for sure.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010 Prius is not totally gutless. Maybe you had it in ECO mode. Push the button for Power Mode, you will be pleasantly surprised at the Prius' responsivness.

6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    carinpoland,
    One or two thoughts:

Your analysis was interesting. Your only comment that I did not agree with was the cost of the HV battery ... mentioned by an above responder.

I also agree that the Prius is NOT gutless. I was demonstrating the acceleration to a neighbor the other day, and even I was surprised ... I rarely "get-on" the accelerator.

I was pretty excited about the Venza initially ... I thought we would make a move on one. I got "bogged" down, however, on the fuel efficiency .... the V6 was just not as efficient as I wanted, and the I4 was noisy ..... and "gutless."

BUT, your requirement for reliable winter travel just may be an overwhelming factor.
    Good Luck.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're thinking about a clutchless manual (Toyota doesn't sell any vehicle in NA with a clutchless manual any more). The Venza doesn't have that. It has a semi-automatic so it's an automatic true & true (complete with torque converter). Instead of L, 2, 3 etc, it's + and -.

Great comparison and someone who has driven both, I agree on most accounts. The battery is $2,000 plus labour and taxes. Besides, at 10 years, would you want a new engine on a car or a rebuilt? Most wouldn't plonk $5k for a new engine so I don't expect you to pay $2k++ for a new battery. A salvaged one from a 5 year old 2010 Prius (assuming you buy now) would be a lot better.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All I can see now is with stated needs for a lot of acceleration
    and space for the dogs, is those poor shepherds plastered against
    the rear window when the light turns green...
    _H*

9. Buffalonian

Buffalonian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have to be out in winter before the plow, the low ground clearance on the Prius may be a deal breaker. Think through this carefully.

10. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Compare it to the CVT Prius the CVT is a much better system.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do think the Prius is slow. Probably not an issue if you're coming from an older econobox. It's certainly "fast enough". It's not a safety issue and shouldn't be frustrating like driving a 15 second 0-60 car, but it's obviously not fast enough to be a particularly fun drive.

If you drive a lot obviously the gas savings are crazy awesome. I have not driven this in the snow. Honestly I've found the vast majority of FWD cars are fine in the snow if you have good snow tires, even in fairly bad weather. Still, if you cannot be late for work and sometimes hit a harsh snow storm it's worth thinking about the 4wd but my guess is literally 363 out of 365 days you won't _need_ it and the rest it's only mildly good. In Rochester, NY we get a lot of snow but the roads are really only bad right in the middle of a storm. Then awd/4wd is nice but mostly just extra weight to drag around the rest of the time.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're preaching to the choir :D. See my sig. The smart's clutchless manual isn't the smoothest one in the world (how unfortunate). And we're a two-Prius family.

13. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you would think that in 10 - 15 years drivetrains would advance to such a point that it would not be economical to keep the 2010 prius going.

14. carinpoland

carinpoland New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, my prices are in Canadian dollars. I'm going to have to e-mail one of the dealerships to find out how much it is for a battery. How much to labor and the parts here in Canada. I believe you're quoting optimistic US prices.

The biggest difference between a new engine and a new battery is that an engine will last usually 500,000 km or 15 years. I am talking about a modern engine with regular maintenance done on it, definitely not going above and beyond on maintenance. But not slacking on the maintenance as well. If you have to change an engine, these days it's usually a defect. It's not the natural life of the engine, and most people will never ever change an engine anymore. The battery is different, most Toyota Prius from the first generation have experienced battery failure. And while there is a great argument saying that the new batteries are much better, only time will tell. A good analogy is Hyundai vehicle supposed rival the quality of Toyota and Honda, back in the late 90s and early 2000. Time has shown that they have indeed improved in quality, but not nearly as much as the hype was around in the late 1990s. They still might make a great vehicle and one-day that is better than all, but they have not done it 10 years ago.

I have made this argument originally, why would I buy a salvaged battery that probably will last not much longer since it's going to be roughly the same age since it has to come out of the same generation Prius. It's like me, in May 1994 Civic looking for an engine from the 1994 Civic. If my engine is to wear out, the other one is probably going to be in a similar shape. The difference with the battery is 8 to 10 years is only half to two thirds of its life. As for buying a cheap battery now, if I do not use it it will discharge completely and ruin itself. So what is the point? I am not about to play mechanic, and swap out the batteries every few months. From what I've heard, they are heavy.

15. carinpoland

carinpoland New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, you're quoting a price of the battery after a collision. This is not a new battery, this is a used battery. Second, while eventually battery prices might come down even further for new vehicles as production ramps up and cost of manufacturing go down, they're not going to make the batteries for the current generation in large quantities in the future. So new hybrid owners will benefit, not the current ones. Do you think Toyota makes a lot of batteries for the first generation. I very highly doubt that. And if you look at the prices, they are still very expensive. It's the nature of the beast. I guess what I'm trying to say, the batteries were supposed to be designed for the life of the car. It seems data from the first generation and even 2004 models is showing some flawed science and optimistic outlook. Reality seems to be, the batteries last 8 to 10 years. Cutting in on the fuel savings with an expensive battery to replace and a premium for the hybrid to start with. Even with my 30,000 km a year driving, I'm probably breaking even. When you consider the fact that I drive mostly on the highway, where the hybrid is not much better from a gasoline car.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius HV battery is 99 lbs. Venza lead acid battery is 37 lbs.

Venza's transmission cost over $3,000. The warranty is much shorter than the HV battery.

1 person likes this.
  17. carinpoland

carinpoland New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I made the comparison for acceleration I simply stated a fact. I did not say that it was a big advantage or something that would be a determining factor. Acceleration is a nice to have, but honestly I would never use it anyway. So I don't think much of acceleration being an advantage. Both cars had enough acceleration for my needs. I drive safe not fast.

There is two points that I definitely are interesting. I love the argument that you're making. It's exactly where my dilemma is. I have driven a front wheel drive civic to work for about the last three years to my current job. I have never ever got stuck, I somehow always managed to make it to work. There is very few days, maybe three days a year when this happens. I still ended up making the work. I'm definitely going to be driving using studded winter tires like I currently do. It's just that I do not like driving in bad weather in my current car. But I would be paying for that in terms of fuel for the other 360 days a year. So I'm not sure, whether it's worth the security on those few days and sacrificed so much for all the other days. There is a lot of people at my work, that drive frontwheel cars just like I do. I also own half of my brothers and mine I guess 2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 that if I had advance warning I could use during those bad weather days as my brother does not commute daily to work. For occasions like that, this could be an inconvenient but doable solution. We don't drive the truck daily, but it comes in handy when hauling, going camping, and super bad weather. The problem is, severe weather like this does not come with too much warning.

I also don't live in a particularly snowy part of the world, it does get very cold here. It's generally a dry continental climate. We get snowstorms, but we don't get them often.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Champion Toyota is the dealer in Houston TX and they DO NOT sell used parts. It is from their collision catalog to order for repairs with new parts.

When Toyota lowered the price of the pack, it lowered the gen1 pack more (Gen1 has 38 cells vs G2 with 28 cells).

Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Price Reduction On Prius Hybrid Batteries / Toyota

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is in USD but it is not optimistic. This price was from 2007 or 2008 so it's fairly recent and it's for a brand new Gen 2 battery.

And why would you think a battery won't last 500,000km? There are plenty of taxis in Victoria and Vancouver that have > 500,000km, mostly Gen 2s with a few Gen 1s in Victoria.

The battery IS different. As Statultra who recently replaced his battery in his 2001 with a Gen 2 battery. This is why the same battery is used in the Gen 3. It's not the most powerful but it is reliable.

Because unless you intend to keep your Civic for a total of 20 years or you have a lot of money, I'd go with a salvage or lightly used engine (or battery as it may be). Of course a new battery might help boost resale if you intend to resell it.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked around Venza's tonight ...

Venza is a beautiful car. I'm seeing more of them on the road. Funny, don't think I've seen one singular Honda Crosstour yet, even though it's been out for months now.

Pretty mind boggling the Venza 4 cylinder basic model MSRP's for $27.2k. That's a lot of car for the price.

Venza can do things the Prius simply cannot do - Venza can haul 5 large adults. Sure, the Prius can haul 5 adults, but they better average 165 lbs or less.

Venza can tow. Likely only 1,500 lbs with the 4 banger, but more w/ V6.

Venza's a great looking car, very bold. No one's going to pooh pooh the 19 or 20" wheels.

I'll bet the Venza ends up outselling the Honda Crosstour by a wide margin. Crosstour's cargo capacity is seriously downsized by large wells that jut into the cargo area, plus the roof slopes down a lot, limiting cargo room. Plus, can only get Crosstour in a V6 and can't get it under $30k MSRP. Honda doesn't always execute well - Insight for example.

But, they're saying Venza is not particularly exciting to drive, but it's secure. I wish Toyota would work on making their cars a bit more lively to drive. I don't have personal experience between a Camry and Accord, but Car and Driver loves an Accord and they pooh pooh driving Camrys.