1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Drove Prius and Venza

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by carinpoland, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Greysquirrel34

Greysquirrel34 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't understand anyone who drives at four in the morning in bad weather before the snow plows are out would consider either of those cars. Have you looked at the Rav 4 or Highlander, they don't get the Prius mpg but would certainly serve your needs.
    As far a studded tires go, don't tire dealers still install studs in tires anymore? My wife used to drive to work on a mountain road that was a steep grade and I used to get her winter tires and have them studded, but that was some years ago, thing may have changed.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Venza and Highlander are based on the Camry, so how's it any different?

3. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would not get a Prius if I had to drive through unplowed snow in the mornings. Its just too low to the ground. Even if you had snow tires, the snow had better be low or else you'll cause some damage (ice or such) to the underbody plastic panels at the very least due to the low clearance of the Prius, and since those panels are not put on that solidly.

Snow tires - they can make any car drive excellently in bad weather. My 2500 lbs (very light & normally bad/dangerous in thick snow) Honda Civic had good clearance and I could drive over anything with snow tires.

If I was the poster I'd get a nice Subaru or something with good clearance and throw some nice snow tires on them. : )

4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Carinpoland,

Ironically enough, I was torn between the same two vehicles when I purchased my Prius.

My "cons" for the Venza (and what ended up tipping the scales to the Prius for me) were:
    • The seat in the Venza always seemed to tip me forward (6'3" and 295+ lbs)
    • The Venza's fuel economy (V6AWD) was nowhere near the Prius' (nor would I expect it to be)
    • Being single myself, I could not justify the size of the Venza, no matter how much I liked it (perhaps latent guilt for driving a Phaeton for the previous three years)
    With Continental Extreme WinterContact tires, I was easily able to make it through whatever Chicago's winter dished out this year (and there was plenty). Given the choice, however, I would go with the Yokohama IG20s next time as studded snow tires are not an option in Illinos. (The IG20s, if I remember correctly, are available in Venza size.)

As someone else mentioned, the Subaru Outback is another option to look at (and the one my roommate ended up with over the Venza). The fuel economy in the 2.5 is very respectable, it has a decent amount of power, snow tires are readily available and it's a comfortable, solid car to drive.

5. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I have a Prius, I never will not want anything else than a CVT.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You mean eCVT. I am not a fan of mechanical CVT.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I dont understand this thread. Venza and Prius aren't even in the same class/type.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but they're both very versatile and almost with the same price range in Canada (Prius $27.8k-$37k, Venza $29k-$40k). The Venza is a pretty nice vehicle (I'd get it over the Camry just for the roominess and the cargo space) but the large wheels are expensive to replace (and get winter tyres!)

9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When I first saw pictures of the Venza and read about it's features ... I knew that is what we wanted. My wife has wanted a Lexus SUV, and my first impression was the profile of the Venza was very much like the Lexus. Then I saw one in person. I was disappointed .... it was too large. The V6 mileage was not very impressive, and I waited to test drive an I4 .... that never occurred. Up to that point I had not considered a Prius. I looked for a Ford Fusion Hybrid.... none could be found, and the local Ford dealer was obnoxious! I returned to look at the Venza again, and there was a Prius. I was interested. A freind with a 2009 Prius let me drive their, and I was favorably impressed. When the Toyota dealer offered me $2500 more than I expected for my 2001 Highlander, I took the offer.

Now, with 10,000 + miles on the G3 .... I could not be any happier. Great ride; great efficiency; very comfortable; I personally like the interior, and I have not had any rattles as others have mentioned. Now that gasoline is increasing in cost, I ask myself .... how were you so smart?

10. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In 2015, we'll all be giving our cars hover conversions for $39,999.95. It has been forseen. :)

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think really unless marshall law comes down/they literally say stay off the roads there are very few examples on roads in which you will be literally unable to pass with a FWD car and good tires vs having to use 4wd. Heck, most cop cars are RWD and they seem to do ok.

As you mentioned, it just isn't fun. I never liked being in heavy snow in my maxima, but partly because it was a stick shift; I found that an automatic was easier and far less likely to spin away to oblivion on a slick road. I did actually get "stuck" twice in that Maxima, but it's tires were all season and not overly great. Once it was on a hill. Light went green, I could not move. I do specifically remember somebody in a toyota--and honest to God I think it was very likely a Prius--pass me like it was dry conditions. Thankfully somebody got out and helped push me up to get speed. Another day I could NOT for the life of me get up a hill, so I backed down it and went around. But that was a stick shift with all-seasons. I have a minivan with snow tires (no traction control) and have never had any issues with it. Like you said it's really more that it sucks driving these in the snow than that you can't do it. AWD would be nice on those days but the rest of the time just isn't needed.

Regarding clearance, my MPV has good clearance, better than the Prius. Only you know how your civic experience has been. My guess is the Prius, with traction control, will be better, but more similar than not.

12. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What's this marshall law? I do believe you meant martial. :)

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Personally? I don't see why you assume the battery in the Prius will only last 10 years. $2,000 repair? A $2,000 repair on a 10 year old car is really not anything that I would find surprising. Look at the savings you'll have just on brakes over 10 years and it will pay for that $2,000 repair you may or may not need.

I just wouldn't even consider such an issue...

To me a much bigger issue is the snow...

1 person likes this.
  14. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe then I think I am a better prophet than you are. Prius Vs Vensa is not really a battle. Prius wins hands down.

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It depends. I actually would choose the Venza. Its bigger, AWD...for his needs I think it will fit the bill better,

16. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too have test driven the Venza and love:
    >ground clearance
    >adaptability
    >increased hip and leg room
    >driving characteristics (handling)
    >overall length; ie, its not a boat
    My 04 Prius is still running strong, only 60K miles on it, but would love to upgrade to an all wheel drive for those long trips especially in snowy N. WI or N. MI. Perhaps when the 2013 Venza (second generation) comes out. While there have been some knocks against product quality recently; ie, interior fit & finish, the whole idea of the Venza is spot on.

17. Kennewick Man

Kennewick Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hate to brag...........but I brought one of each 2010 V6 Venza AWD, and a 2010 Prius III, and I now have the best of both worlds.......LOVEEN IT

18. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is heresy on a Prius site, but before buying either the Prius or the Venza, given the occasions when you can benefit from 4 wheel drive, I'd look at the comparable Suburu's, all of which are 4 wheel drive. From what I've been told and what little I've read, they're pretty good cars .. but I haven't researched that aspect. You might find a better fit there.

In addition, the Ford Fusion SEL is available in 4 wheel drive. On it, for the dogs, I'd simply get a pet protector for the back seat ... it prevents the dogs from having any accidents wind up on your upholstery, and gives them a reasonable chance to stretch out.

Oh, and as to dogs in the car. Well. My friend Maggie has a 90's Festiva (think very small). As a mobile physical therapist, she first puts her folding table into the hatch, then crams in her large bag of other needed materials. So far, so good. But in mild weather, she also puts her two St. Bernards into the car. It's almost like in the circus when people just keep coming out of an old VW bug.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which one do you love more? Which one do you find driving it more?

20. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Another thing to remember...Toyota's AWD system has never been that good. I am not sure about the newer systems, but past AWD systems from Toyota (Sienna, Highlander, etc) have not been very effective. If you really want all-weather AWD system, then i think that Subaru AWD is the best. If you want to go off-roading, then that is another story. Toyota 4wd systems (in 4runners for example) are excellent.