1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

test drove the Accord Hybrid...

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by finman, May 11, 2005.

1. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    In the short version...not impressed! Clunky!

The longer version: rode nice (once you are at speed), felt bigger and heavier, but wow, am I spoiled by a year with the Prius power-split device CVT. The Accord Hybrid kept shifting and seemed so unsmooth. It was VERY noticeable. Although it was quick and powerful, it was not smooth as the Prius.

Got 20 MPG on the little test drive. And I KNOW it's not broken in, etc. I was the 1st in the car for a drive, it had less than 6 miles on it. Real comfortable seats (although I'm not a leather fan, this was a base model, but had leather.) Big 16" wheels made it nice and stable at speed.

Not alot of feedback info on the hybrid components, like MPG display. This one did not have the NAV unit in the center dash, so maybe there's more on that. The very small display below the speedo and tach shows tiny graph of 'charging' or 'assist' and next to it a MPG number for the current tank.

Oh, and the auto-stop is annoying. Below a certain speed the engine goes off, and the auto-stop light illuminates (kinda nice to know that, I guess). So it's off at a stop...but as soon as you lift your foot off the brake to creep forward, the gas kicks on again! This happened ALOT on my city street portion. Advantage Prius...duh.

And emissions: the brochure said ULEV-2. Anyone help me out here, what is that compared to the SULEV of the Prius? And is there a better emssions rated Accord Hybrid in, say, Calif., or the NE states? I'm confused by this and want to learn!

Okay, all in all, not going to get one at $31,000 (lower model without NAV). It didn't seem to be worth the 20 MPG hit or being 2 seconds faster. Or the non-fold-down rear seats. The Prius is just so much more versatile, efficient, and fun to drive.

Fanatic likes this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Even Civic-Hybrid owners complaint about that. I can't imagine having to deal with routinely. Nasty! So, the fact that auto-stop doesn't re-engage until you speed up to 10 MPH is in a strange way a blessing.

My Classic Prius behaved that way when the temperature was below 20F. It was very annoying. Thankfully the HSD Prius can still deliver stealth all the way down to -18F (perhaps colder, but I haven't been able to test that).

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

WIthout the PSD it must take longer to spin up it's ICE, so to be ready, maybe it has to start up. Can it run at all on electric-only? If not, that is why it wants the ICE at the ready--for fast throttle response.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda's IMA hybrid scheme cannot operate the vehicle electric only. Just as the acronym IMA states, it is integrated motor assist.

5. Ormond

Ormond New Member

I thought the shifting was a little rough also. The Prius is smoother than the HAH. I do like the Honda's power and interior.

6. majordude

majordude Member

Honda's engine turns off, as does the A/C which is pretty stupid, when the car comes to a stop. This option can be turned off if you want the engine to keep running (and keep the A/C on).

At a stop, the engine comes on immediately upon lifting your foot from the brake pedal. It's amazing how it comes on without the wirrr-wirrr-wirrr like my neighbor's truck in the morning!

Anyway, it has a computer on board so that in stop and go traffic or when driving slow (like through a drive through) it won't go into auto-off if it had been off within the last 2 minutes or so.

The Prius is much more advanced in the way it utilizes the electric motor.

Also, in terms of the Accord, Honda really isn't marketing it as a fuel-efficient car as much as it is touting the performance boost the electric motor gives the regular engine.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, maybe my tester was a little more broken in but I thought the transmission shifted smoothly (for a regular transmission anyway), and if yours was annoying, the engine came on while I was stopped! It turned off like it was supposed to then came on 5-10 secs later while I was still at the light. If you're thinking the engine's cold, I doubt it since it was near the end of a 10-15 min test drive.

As for the hybrid system, the battery doesn't seem to want to assist unless you're at full throttle.

8. yoda

yoda Member

Honda's are great cars. No question.

That said - Honda has ZERO on Toyota when it comes to Hybrid vehicles.

It's NOT a Prius. 'nuff said.

Yoda

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the Accord hybrid uses Honda's hybrid air conditioning compressor. Both electric and runs off the ICE via a belt drive/electric clutch system.

10. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

the accord hybrid is not bad... but i guess it's just a question of relativity.

we bought an accord hybrid (for my lovely bride) about 2 weeks ago... traded in our acura mdx (large, comfortable, lots of features, but 15 MPG) for the accord hybrid (mid-sized, very comfortable with its leather seats, and 35 MPG in our first road-trip). she's happy with it and that's what counts.

very soon, we will be a two-hybrid family... i can't wait for MY PRIUS TO ARRIVE! i'm about 3 weeks out and so psyched. 05 tideland pearl package 5... i don't even have the car & i'm already thinking about accessories & mods & plates...

so when i have a chance to drive both for a bit, maybe i could write a quick comparison if that would help others. (?)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That'll be great!

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Do it! No holds bared. Tell us like it really is. Were grown up and can take it. At least that's what we've been told.

13. Orsino

Orsino New Member

Our hybrid Accord is a wonderful car, and is getting 30+ mpg after only a couple thousand miles. In its own way, I believe it's a more advanced vehicle. As a pure driving machine, it's a marvel--smooth and luxurious in a way that the Prius can't begin to match. No, it's not a Prius. It's something else, and I understand why my wife wanted one.

I like driving both, but I love my Prius. I dig the consistent 55-56 mpg, and the Bluetooth/nav system. Whenever my wife has to pull out her keys to put them in the Honda's ignition, I make fun of her "primitive Earth vehicle." :jester:

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if buying one, you definitely know its not a Prius after you get done paying for it

15. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just loved every Honda product I've ever owned. Accord, Legend, RL all great, fun to drive, handled like a dream and fast. The HAH may not be a Prius with the adaptability, etc. but it adds another important process to the hybrid equation. Just think where we'll be in 4 yrs.
    GM, Ford, DC where are you?

16. Orsino

Orsino New Member

We actually got the Accord for a few hundred dollars less than our Prius cost.

According to our dealer, there was only one hybrid Accord with nav in the entire southeast, and we didn't feel like waiting/paying for the transport from Jacksonville. My package 6 was slightly more expensive than the non-navved Accord.

I think the hybrid Accord can do one thing the Prius can't: appeal to the sports car lovers, and sell them on hybrid tech.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is true though but it only assists if necessary. The only time I saw the blue bar was under full throttle in my acceleration tests during the test drive.

18. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

orsino / john - my wife also has the accord hybrid in desert mist metallic, and my prius (being delivered next month) is also tideland pearl... but p5, not p6.

are you my evil twin (?) or maybe i am the evil one (!)

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member

:lolup: Just explain to her: You will be assimilated!

20. Orsino

Orsino New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(~sparky~\";p=\"89560)</div>
    Well, I don't have a beard. I'm afraid you must be the evil one. :angel:

As to the topic at hand, I got to drive the Accord on a 110-mile + round trip yesterday, and got over 35 mpg with three passengers (was getting over 37 before the hot part of the day).