1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Testing 12V Aux battery dangerous?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JoySS, May 2, 2022.

1. JoySS

JoySS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I went by NAPA the other day to have my 12v Aux battery tested. He said he didn't want to do because they were trained that testing the Aux battery on Prius's could cause damage with their equipment. He said I needed to go to a dealership where they had the proper equipment for it. I clarified it was the Aux battery we were talking about, not the hybrid battery. Have any of your heard of this?

Thanks!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, this is the first time i've read of anyone not being able to get a load test.
    he is incorrect and sounds clueless. try another auto parts store, the dealer will charge you.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  3. JoySS

JoySS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Bisco. Also for clarification he said it could damage my car not their equipment. I will try another place just wanted to make sure he didn't actually know what he was talking about while another place might just blindly test my battery ; )

bisco likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like the auto shop suspects there may be something wrong with your car and don't want to get blamed for it. They rather not do a "free" test that can somehow turn to "you touched my car so you broke it" type of scenario

5. JoySS

JoySS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't suspect that as it was an auto parts store not a auto shop. I went to pick up a cabin air filter and have them test my battery since it's 5 years old. They typically test your batteries for free, esp so they can sell you a replacement ; )
    My car been running great otherwise, I wasn't complaining about having any problems to him.

bisco likes this.