1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Testing individual battery cell with load applied (how many amps should I apply?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Cyon Kim, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Cyon Kim

Cyon Kim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I am trying to load test individual battery cells in my hybrid battery pack. I did some research over Youtube and Internet, but couldn't find the clear answer.

So, my question is:
    When you load test individual cell, how many load(amps) should apply? I saw that someone recommending 6 amps load using a headlight bulb. Someone else used load tester for 6/12v with 100 amp load, which is designed for 12v car lead acid car battery testing. So, How should I conduct the load test and what amount of load should apply? and tools used?

Your suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cyon

2. kiwi

kiwi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    You perhaps was talking about module (7.2V) not cell (6 cells in every module, 28 modules in your Prius).
    If you are going to compare your results with someone's else results - you both use the same method, same currents.
    It is important how modules behave under the same load in the pack.
    Capacity measured at high currents will differ from measurements taken at lower currents.
    6A is OK.
    My tools are only for professional use and not for individuals.
    But you can get an idea of how battery behaves under load from my videos here: www.hybrids.co.nz - YouTube