1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

testing out a Gen 4 for the second time.rental car

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ColoradoCrow, Feb 15, 2023.

1. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So I'm working a job for 8 days and managed to get a 2021 Prius from AVIS in LA. WHite base model. I have only driven a Gen 2 before this. Never driven a Gen 3........I am pretty sure I got the base model. no heated seats, no auto dim mirror, no HUD, cloth seats, Manual seat adjustments. Spare donut tire. My impressions thus far are mixed. I got a flat at my hotel and had to change it to the donut before driving to work.
    The jack is weak at best and the arm you crank with the integrated tire iron is too short and came me a wicked blister on my left hand as I was holding it still. Suspension ride is nice and I can see the MPG value in the Gen 4.
    The rear cargo floorboard is a cheap plastic cover with minimal carpet. meh it is lightweight so MPG saver. super basic. Rear cargo area light is horrible. rear vis out the split window is similar to my Gen 2 don't mind it at all.
    I couldn't force charge it. Kept telling me EV battery was too low to go into EV mode. Back up beep inside the car is super lame. Along with the weird "brake caliper grinding noise" while in reverse. Rear camera obviously better than a Gen 2. Radio is ok. cupholders are plastic and not quite big enough. Getting used to the center console MPG display and stuff rear seats and cargo seem ok. I have learned that at my age I need and want bells and whistles. I've heard negative reviews on the Softex seats...haven't seen any. 1st rental was white with black int. 2nd is Red with 2 tone which I like better. Still the low end with still messing with the seats to get the feel just right.
    I've driving it for a week. anything else I can try out?
    I ask because I'm looking at a 2020 Prime as the next "my car was wrecked and I have to buy now" Option.
    I need 5 seats so that rules out 2017-2019. Just wondering what else I should examine better.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ride/handling and mpg are the biggest improvements to the Gen 4. I found the front seats comfortable but others don’t. Note that the Prime will feel heavier (cause it is) and will absorb bumps a bit better than your rental (I’m comparing my Prime with a Gen 4 Touring that I have. The Touring definitely rides stiffer but corners flatter with a stiffer suspension and the 17” alloys).

Steering ratio is noticeably quicker than the Gen 2. I would check seat comfort with the fabric vs SofTex. The SofTex is ok most of the time but there are occasions when it really does feel like vinyl and it doesn’t breathe well in the summer.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    where are you taking it around the city? LA can give you some good mountain driving, boring city stop & go, hi-speed slotcar freeway action... sometimes all in the same drive. But I don't imagine it is your first visit.

and... if I had to replace our "family cruiser" Mazda 6 sedan tonight? I'd probably get a Camry Hybrid.

4. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I’m staying in Marina Del Ray and driving up Ocean to Pacific Palisades. To Will Rogers State Park. So lots of
    Curves and stop and not really go…lol through Venice Beach and Santa Monica. I did take the 405 when I took the rental with the donut tire back. But heavy traffic so nothing over 45 mpg. I’ll keep looking. Handling is very good. Just want to make sure the seats are comfortable.

5. Barsoapguy

Barsoapguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The only thing I’ll add to this conversation is to be aware that the higher Trims on the Prius Prime have the 11 inch touch screen which can be a huge pain in the Butt when trying to adjust the AC while you’re driving , the buttons on the lower trim head unit are better IMHO.

Doug McC and ColoradoCrow like this.
  6. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes I would agree completely. But I want the HUD and heated seats and 10 speakers so I will have to go Limited. And be stick with the huge screen.