1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Testing pre-collision system?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kablooie, Sep 17, 2016.

1. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've accidentally "tested" it twice! Leaving a mall parking lot I thought I'd forgotten my cell phone. I keep it in my back pocket and raised off the seat to feel. When I did my foot slipped off the brake and the car rolled forward. I felt a sudden deceleration and thought that I'd hit the car in front of me accompanied by an alarm. Turns out the system had slammed on the brakes, saving me. The second time I misjudged backing into a parking space. The back up alarm was buzzing and I knew I was getting close to the car behind me. Suddenly the system took control! Before these events I'd thought about taping some aluminum foil to a box and attempting to run it down. Turns out the system works well!

RCO likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to be clear, your two scenarios were done by ICS and not PCS.

RCO likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just googled ICS - it didn't come up with anything PRIUS related, though many interesting acronyms - most interesting was "Internet chess server".

I checked my Manual - zilch. But I checked the EURO Manual which indicates that it is "Intelligent Clearance Sonar" - for anyone else wondering what it is.

RCO likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry. Yes. I should probably add it to the PriusChat Glossary if it isn't already there.

PriusChat Glossary | PriusChat

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... I had meant to say - I have no idea what it is. Sounds like what a BAT uses to sense where it is in a cave. It must be another of the many things not offered here in Australia.

RCO likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well don't some cars in Australia offer parking sensors? (in America, it's called backup sensors). They must offer it either as a dealer-installed accessory or factory option.

ICS is simply a smarter version of those.

RCO likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh - I had parking sensors on my FORD - but they didn't stop you - you had to use brake/accelerator like normal, they just beeped at you. So the ones (not offered here on PRIUS) actually will brake the car too.

RCO likes this.
  8. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    In both cases the car did warn me but applied the brakes ITSELF. My understanding is that ICS gives the warning and in the case of the back up you are probably right but my source says PCS controls automatic braking.

RCO likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct. That's the "intelligent" part of the name. Toyota didn't simply slap on 12 sensors around the Prius.

e.g. the Sienna minivan here has clearance and backup sensors (I think 8 total) around the car but they're simply just warning mechanisms and nothing more. They'll give you the same distance warning you see on the MID up on the dash inside the car as well as the beeps but you will hit the object.

ICS will also reduce power output if it detects an object and you're accelerating into it (e.g. you parked nosed in, you meant to put the car into reverse but you put it into drive. The car senses the wall in front of the car and will not accelerate at the rate you want the car to but rather just slowly move and of course sound the alarm)

ICS includes a "brain" if you will.

ICS also performs braking function below 15km/h.

PCS only does forward collision notification, brake assist and braking function and only at speeds above 10km/h.

For PCS:

Page 276:

Pre-collision braking
    When the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is high, the system warns the driver. If the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision is extremely high, the brakes are automatically applied to help avoid the collision or reduce the collision speed.

Page 280:

Pre-collision braking:
    Vehicle speed is between approximately 7 and 110 mph (10 and 180 km/h).
    (For detecting a pedestrian, vehicle speed is between approximately 7 and
    50 mph [10 and 80 km/h].)
    • The relative speed between your vehicle and the vehicle or pedestrian
    ahead is approximately 7 mph (10 km/h) or more.

For ICS:

Page 351

Hybrid system output restriction control
    ● The Intelligent Clearance Sonar is on.
    The vehicle speed is 10 mph (15 km/h) or less.
    ● There is an obstacle in the traveling direction of the vehicle (6
    to 13 ft. [2 to 4 m ahead]).
    ● The system determined that a stronger-than-normal brake
    operation was necessary to avoid a collision.
     Brake control
    ● Hybrid system output restriction control is being performed.
    ● The system determined that an emergency brake operation
    was necessary to avoid a collision.

GreenJuice, alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a great system - sadly not offered here. I'll keep an eye out for it in my next car - if it's not self-driving completely.

Tideland Prius and RCO like this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect is because there are so many documentaries about your country suggesting you can go for hundreds of kilometres without seeing another vehicle. They must have thought ICS was a totally unnecessary feature for you, especially with your cricket and rugby skills! (y):whistle:

#31 RCO, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Tideland Prius and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. iamvietdang

iamvietdang Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just tried this and got the car yesterday. Had the CC set at 55 mph. Approached red light with stopped cars. The car stopped itself with a car length behind another car. I trust it and it's great through stop and go traffic.

2016 Prius 4T Premium Convenience Pkg
    2016 NX200t F Sport

RCO and krmcg like this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At first you're amazed and surprised by how fantastic it is, and rightly so. You will undoubtedly find it invaluable and use it more and more, like we all do. You have to remember that YOU are the one driving and in control, because in certain circumstances it can stop working without warning. Boy, does that wake you up! Heavy rain etc, accumulations of dirt and dust can all interfere with its operation. Remember your Country needs lerts, so always be alert.

wrprice likes this.
  14. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My wife accidently tested mine in the garage and it works. Other than the radar cruise (which works) have not tested it on the road.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  15. JayLn

JayLn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My Turkish friends told me to meet him in the parking lot in Westlake Center and said hop inside then he drove straight to wall doing 15miles I thought hE he gone crazy loco, the Prius show all red stop stop on the panel and it stopped the car. It works but I told him Wth dude and I hit him in his head and he told me "did you see I didn't even step in the brake" geez

RCO and Data Daedalus like this.
  16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's tempting fate. It would make an "interesting" insurance claim if it didn't work to entirely stop the vehicle.

The definition for AEB commonly stated here is "Auto Emergency Braking (AEB) is a vehicle safety technology has the potential to prevent a crash or reduce the impact speed of a crash".

Data Daedalus likes this.
  17. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A work colleagues Volvo v40 or similar, has this technology installed to prevent low speed collisions. He scared the living daylights out of me the other day when he pulled up behind me in the car park and allowed his Volvo to slowly but intently creep right up my tail at a speed which you knew was going to cause a big bump......crucially, he was seen clearly distracted at the wheel, searching for something in his pocket.....then he exited the car while it was still creeping, engine running!

My heart was in my mouth as I yelled at him from where I stood .

Just mere centimetres from my rear bumper, his Volvo's AEB system kicked in and the car stopped dead. I actually thought he'd run into me, but he laughed, pointed to the gap, and proceeded to explain that his Volvo had auto emergency brake technology .

Not the nicest way to find out!

iPhone ?

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Meh! Ruddy Volvo drivers... :sneaky:

19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Google: "Volvo automatic braking fail" then hit your Turkish friend in the head again.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ROFLMAO @ the banana skin humour, but hope nobody was hurt in that epic fail. :ROFLMAO:

alanclarkeau likes this.