1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Text messages not read out ..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mnsweeps, Mar 20, 2013.

1. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Someone mentioned in one of the threads that if you receive a text message on a phone which is paired via B/T, then the text is read. I tried and tested using 2 phones but the text was never read to me....anyone knows the settings? I went through the display / audio settings but couldn't get it to work. I will check the manual tomorrow..

2. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll play with it tomorrow afternoon and try to find the setting.

I can't sees on this device what the year and model is on your Pri--it might come in handy.

3. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2012 Prius Four and using iPHONE 4S. I read somewhere that this feature may not be supported by iphone as it doesn't have the iMAP feature..

ralleia likes this.
  4. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Pri is a 2012 four with solar roof and HDD nav; the phone is a DROID4.

I about jumped through the roof the first time the car started talking to me when not in NAV.

But I hope very much that the Prius supports your phone. There was no way that I was going to process a text while driving without the car reading it for me.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I doubt it has anything to do with "iMAP". IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) has nothing to do Bluetooth or text messages.

Seems more likely it has to do with MAP support listed at Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I wonder if what's referred to as "Message Alert" in the compatibility guides from Toyota.com - Connect are the reading aloud of SMS (text) messages? BTW, I'd think another possible method for a phone itself to read aloud a SMS message would be to either created a simulated/fake phone connection and read it aloud via that or do the same over A2DP (used for streaming music).

Side note: I used to have a Samsung SPH-M520 (non-smartphone on Sprint) and IIRC, when connected via Bluetooth, it would actually read aloud the name of the person (if in phone's contact list) or the incoming phone # (if not). IIRC, it'd also do it over a BT headset. That's the ONLY phone I've ever had that would do that.

I don't think my old Android phone (was a T-Mobile myTouch 3G) would do that and none of my iPhones (3G, 4 and 5) would do that. My old (Sprint) Motorola Razr V3m didn't either. All these other phones would just cause the car to ring and display the incoming caller's number or name (if it was in the car's phonebook).

Everything I've mentioned is on my 06 Prius which has a much older nav system than anything you're all using.

6. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In general, Bluetooth functions other than 'answer the phone' and 'now you can hang up' are not supported by the iPhone. Steve Jobs did not want to pay BT licencing for functions he did not deem necessary.
    I had a lovely address book scroll function with a sony ericsson handsfree unit in my old car that displayed addresses with the twist and click of a convenient control knob on my sony ericsson phone. Changed to iPhone and I was lucky to be able to voice dial.
    BTW, there are BT apps that let you exchange files between iPhones but both ends need to run the app. I'm not aware of any apps that enhance BT functions to a handsfree device.

Bluetooth - The iPhone Wiki
    Officially Supported Profiles

• HFP - Hands-Free Profile
    • HSP - Headset Profile
    • ??? - Peer-to-peer connectivity (iPhone OS 3.0 and above; iPhone 3G and newer)
    • AD2P - Stereo audio streaming (iPhone OS 3.0 and above; iPhone 3G and newer)
    • PAN - Tethering (iPhone OS 3.0 and above; iPhone 3G and newer)
    • AVRCP - Media controls (Partial support since iPhone OS 3.0, improved in iOS 4.1; iPhone 3G and newer)
    • SPP - Serial Port Profile for Braille terminals (iOS 4.? and above)

7. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you hold down the Home button on the iPhone, you should be able to use Siri to get the phone to read the text for you. Say something like "Read my texts", for example. You can then also reply back using Siri.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  10. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My friend just got his Ford Focus out from the dealership and got an update to his Sync system and right before he update to IOS8 he was able to get text messages and email play from the Sync system. When Toyota will release anything like that?

11. nugimon

nugimon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You'll need to enable this on the phone first.I have a Gen3, iphone 5, IOS 7

Go to your iphone. --> Settings-->Bluethooth-->Car Multimedia . Hit the info icon and turn on "Show Notifications".

Then when you get a text, if you hit the (Answer Phone) button on the Prius steering wheel, select the mail icon and you can select the message and the speaker icon to read it to you.

If you leave it on the mail screen, it's safer obviously so you don't have to go through all those steps, but it does beat trying to read it off your phone while your driving which is totally not safe.

Also if you just driving, it will say "New Text Message" it would be cool if it just read it outload, but then again if you have someone in the car you may not want that.

I do have to admit, I love hearing my wife nag at me in another Siri like voice :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:..

10-29-2014 1-04-56 AM.jpg

10-29-2014 1-17-09 AM.jpg

#11 nugimon, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  12. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2012 Prius with the standard radio/BT system. My 2 year old Nokia Lumia 925, updated to Windows 8.1 with Cortana works fine with texts. When a text comes in, Cortana lets me know by telling me who it is from and asks if I want to hear it. She asks to read it or ignore it. If I have her read it, she then reads back my dictation and asks to send it, add to it, revise it, or cancel. Works great! It is interesting that a brand new iPhone 6 does not. Love my Windows phone.

13. nugimon

nugimon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I think the thread was about having the Prius read your text and not so much the phone. But that is good to know that a Windows phone can do it, i'm sure the 3% (Windows market share) will appreciate it :). By the way, iPhone reading of text was available back on the 3GS, it's just off by default, you'll need to turn it on. It also can read it in different voices, languages and rates of speed if your slow listener like me. I'm a Windows server admin, so I do like MS products, but Apple IMHO has the best UI, hardware and ecosystem

mg555 and Raygon like this.
  14. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am also a Windows server admin. I hate Windows 8 on a PC but Windows Phone 8.1 is an excellent OS. "Live Tiles" and Nokia's "Glance" are features that work great and have no equivalent on IOS. Do yourself a favor, try out a Nokia Lumia 930 or a 1520 I think you will be surprised at their quality and Windows Phone 8.1's refinement. As to which phone has the best OS, They all have their good and bad points. I've tried them all for extended periods. BTW, depending on what source you quote, I've seen it stated that Windows is 5.5% of all phones out there, maybe not as much as IOS (13%) but that is still a significant number.

#14 KeinoDoggy, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  15. Warren39

Warren39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I used to have a windows phone and the text were read aloud. I now have the iPhone 6 and the pop up comes up on the screen, but you have to use the screen to have it read. According to your statement above, how do I set it up to read automatically?

16. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly....the windows phone 8.1 with Cortana reads the texts and asks you to reply or ignore. Here is a poorly done video but demos what I am saying.

17. nugimon

nugimon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Like in the above post, I just found out in IOS 8, you can have Siri read your text messages and also reply. You can have this done without touching your phone at all, which is better than having the Prius do it as it does take a few clicks on the screen and would be distracting.

I just say "hey Siri, read my text messages. She will read your newest messages and ask if you want to reply, at that point you just dictate your text. Siri will confirm by reading it back to you, and you tell it to send. This is all done hands free and voice only with your eyes on the road.

Go to settings, general, Siri. Allow "Hey Siri". (This only works when you have power connected i.e. in a car as it needs to keep the mic active to listen for your commands.)

Again, great feature for when you in a car and in the morning in bed when you want to check your stocks or the weather but too lazy to reach for the phone :)

#17 nugimon, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  18. nugimon

nugimon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just say "hey Siri, read my text messages. She will read your newest messages and ask if you want to reply, at that point you just dictate your text. Siri will confirm by reading it back to you, and you tell it to send. This is all done hands free and voice only with your eyes on the road.

Go to settings, general, Siri. Allow "Hey Siri". (This only works when you have power connected i.e. in a car as it needs to keep the mic active to listen for your commands.)

Read more: Text messages not read out .. | PriusChat
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook