1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thanks PriusChat!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Tekdeus, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you folks at PriusChat, for all your helpful info. I just bought my '04 in December. On my first tank of gas at 32psi tire pressure, I only got 38 MPG. I upped my tire pressure to 42/40psi and my 2nd tank got 42 MPG with more careful driving. I found out that my front 2 Falken Ziex 92 tires had poor rolling resistance so I swapped all 4 tires with new Michelin Energy Savers at 44/42psi and got up to 48 MPG with some hypermiling. I then realized that the 40-50F winter temps were hurting my mileage greatly, so I did a 90% full grill block and installed an EBH (block heater) with a timer to use before trips. Getting better at pulse and glide, I managed to reach 57 MPG on my current tank of gas, but with some short cold trips and stop and go, I'm back down to 52 MPG, with the outside temps still around 40-50F.

So glad I was able to get over that 50 MPG hump! The Michelin Energy Savers at 44/42 psi have amazingly low rolling resistance and great handling. The car just coasts and coasts, and my real-time MPG readings have gone up significantly, even at 40F and tires not yet broken in.

Thanks again for all the tips. - Brad

2 people like this.
  2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :cheer2:On ya Brad, good to see you getting great mileage early in your Prius ownership.:cheer2:

3. seatown7

seatown7 Northwest Prius Dork

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm in Seattle and I'm also a newbie Prius owner...just wait until the warmer weather gets here! I've also ordered a block heater to help out my mileage while we're down in the 30's and 40's.

Good luck and happy hyper-miling,

B