1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thanks to Toyota for HID headlight fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dstrevel, Nov 21, 2008.

1. dstrevel

dstrevel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Over the past two months, my 2006 Prius developed the intermittent HID headlight failure well-documented on this site. Both right and left bulbs were going out, and operating for shorter and shorter periods when turned back on. I noted seven failures in 45 miles of driving on November 17, the last day before repair.
    Thanks to this site, I reported the case to the Office of Defects Investigation of NHTSA (www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov). I noted that they have 246 complaints on file for the 2006 Prius, of which about 95% are for intermittent HID headlight failure.
    With Toyota pricing their HID-D4R bulbs at about $330. each, and light control computers at over $300. each, Toyota service advisors told me the repair bills could be as much as $1,800. Yet the problem is obviously due to inadequate design or faulty manufacturing of the components. With two years and ten months of ownership and 36,400 miles on the car, the problem had begun within the warranty period but my car was now out of warranty.
    I don’t understand why, but Toyota’s bulb pricing is absurd at about $330. each, while OsramSylvania HID-D4R bulbs are available at local auto parts stores for $131. Apparently reputable web-based stores sell them for $115 per bulb (plasmagarage.com).
    Wishing to avoid Toyota’s sky-high prices while also believing it should be treated as a warranty problem, I called Toyota Customer Service at 800-331-4331. After two polite and pleasant phone conversations a couple of days apart, Toyota responded to my request by agreeing to pay the full parts and labor bill. They called Leith Toyota to arrange that the repair bill would be sent directly to Toyota Customer Service.
    On November 18, I took my car in. The repair tech decided that only the HID bulbs needed replacing, which he did by removing the front bumper cover. In four days of driving since then, the headlights have performed perfectly. I believe the problem is fixed. Toyota states that the current bulbs are from a different manufacturer than the originals and therefore, the hope is that their lifespan might be commensurate with their price. Toyota Corporation was billed for $726. plus tax for the bulbs and labor.
    My thanks to Toyota for doing the right thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    dstrevel, I think you approached this problem in the correct way and glad for the resolution. I always ask people who feel well served by Toyota Customer Experience to write thank you letters and send them to the various administrative levels.

That sort of stroking may be helpful when the next Toyota buyer (not Prius necessarily) hits a snag.

3. bluecar

bluecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please PM me. I'm in Cary and I've been having the same problem with my left headlight for quite a while now and the rep at Fred Anderson didn't seem to have ever heard of this.

Thanks!

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bluecar,

Note that you can email dstrevel which will better ensure that he gets your message.

Click on his name to produce a drop down menu and then click the email link.

Good luck.

5. ganglo

ganglo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

New 2006 Prius owner here as of 5/31. Had the car for three hours before my first HID failure. The long and short is this - I'm out of warranty (60,000 miles) and put in a call to Toyota hoping for a goodwill service.

I've talked to TCE twice, and they're not interested in making this right. The rub is that I had a presales vehicle inspection by Priority Toyota the day before I took delivery and was informed that there were no defects with the vehicle other than the cabin air and engine air filters.

Good luck with your efforts. I will let you know if my new ebay'ed bulbs fix my problems.

- Sorry I dug up an old thread. I'll post this to the current one as well.