1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Nov 16, 2018.

1. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just picked up my fresh Turkey,and everything else I will need on Thursday. The grocery store required an immense amount of patience this afternoon. :oops:

Raytheeagle and Starship16 like this.
  2. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks fuzzy. Very interesting. I didn't realize they had such severe weather in Israel.

Nor'easter? Multiple de-icings? Yikes! What part of the US were you in at that time? I don't know how they do it, but our pilots do a great job flying through that weather every year.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not surprising that it may have missed most of the American news, which usually misses such foreign items even when not pre-empted by larger domestic stories such as the California fires and election aftermath.

The flash flood fatalities this time were in Jordan, but various problems struck the whole region:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/9788747/Torrential-rain-snow-storms-and-flooding-hit-the-Middle-East.htmlv

We were in Petra just two days after it was hit by flash floods. I didn't have internet time to view the videos then, but recognize many of the specific locations in these clips:

Jordan flash floods: Eleven killed and tourists evacuated from Petra - BBC News

Our connection was through JFK airport. All the crew within the aircraft did great, my comments regarded some management decisions and other actions by people on the ground. Though they were heavily loaded with extra work from the storm problems, including taking in flights diverted from other airports.

Starship16 likes this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I spent decades cooking the big turkey dinner with all the trimmings for up to 32 people. Turkey was usually baked using my mom's recipe she used before I took the dinner over. Occasionally it was a "beer can" turkey using the large Foster's Lager can. I also added apricots and apples to the bread stuffing while filling the neck cavity with prunes as the bird cooks. The prunes have always been a family tradition and the flavor is awesome. All the other parts of the meal (casseroles, potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc.) have always been pretty straightforward.

I love a smoked or fried turkey. I've just never had the right cooking equipment to do it right.

Alas, between deaths in the family, people moving away, relatives visiting kids in other states and people's work schedules we will only have four of us this year. We've been talking about it and we are just going to do something simple like a family sized frozen lasagna, green salad and store bought pumpkin pie. I will make a fresh loaf of garlic bread in my breadmaker, though.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Was bird master for a large party in Texas last year. Separating skin from underlying muscle, and filling that space with large amounts of butter yields superb results.

6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Absolutely. That's an important part of the recipe. I also occasionally use an injector to put melted butter and/or liquid seasoning directly into the bird.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Cardiac health is a low priority during this feast!

Massasoit's revenge :)

8. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, somehow a turkey just doesn't taste right when it's basted with water. ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I remember the Chanute AFB winters of 1977 and again in 1982. Both times for training. Both times pretty cold. They say the only thing between Rantoul and the frozen Arctic is a barbed wire fence, and that blew down last week. Retired AF in 1997. Thanksgiving with family as usual.

Starship16 likes this.
  10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's Tofurky at this house, or maybe gardein fake turkey. Now and Zen had an excellent vegetarian roast, but they up and disappeared a few years ago. There will also be real turkey for the unconverted. It really amazes me how much fat drips out of a supposedly low fat meat.

11. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was at Chanute for the firefighter school. After the Air Force, God forbid I went to work for the U.S. Mail for a couple years. Got very bored with that, and then it was on to a hitch in the Army Infantry.

That was enough "government service" for one lifetime. :LOL:

My cheapness and frugal ways have won out. I just bought two little microwave turkey meals. "Lean Cuisine", only 300 calories. :ROFLMAO:

#31 Starship16, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hope everyone has a very nice Thabksgiving week. Enjoying family gatherings, friends, good food, football, or whatever.

Wishing for a happy and peaceful Holiday Season. Be safe in your travels.

See you all next year.

Maybe. ;)

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Among those whose dinner plans will be disrupted are players and staff of 6 NFL teams.

Certainly TV viewers' decisions will be based on many factors. However I notice that according to fivethirtyeight, only one team has plausible (in fact highest) chance to win Super Bowl. That team is New Orleans Saints, who face Atlanta Falcons. All other games involve one percenters or less.

Just a thought.

14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It won’t change those who watch;).

Tradition is what drives 2 of those teams being on turkey day (Detroit and Dallas). As a Steelers fan, nothing would be more enjoyable than NOT having to watch a Cowboys game:cool:.

But since it’s on, I’ll watch(y).

bisco likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm mostly a plant eater these days, but I'll probably roast a turkey and help with meal-prep, and enjoy family time.
    Besides trying to noodle out a (mostly)Vegan Pumpkin pie and Cornbread dressing that a normal person would be willing to eat....our Thanksgiving fare will be within typical Southeast US norms.
    No terduckens though.
    We're not "that" kinda southern.

As far as TV....
    I have people rooting for both the dirty birds and the black-n-gold, but I'll probably play with the (other) youngins instead and watch Baby Shark and Gummy Bear over and over and over and over and over.
    ......enjoying myself immensely. ;)

...and of course, there's virtual Black Friday!!!
    Big doins there!!!
    I might actually buy my very first ever personally owned iPad (if the $249 price @ Wally holds.....) to accommodate those in my family who are less capable.....
    I also intend to replace my 4-year-old, $130 Droid with probably a $200 Moto G6.....maybe.
    $200 is a LOT to spend on a phone that lasts less than 5 years!
    :mad:

Of course if I want another 'first' I can go find a door to bust....but most of my BF shopping will be done while driving a mouse.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should be a cakewalk for nawlins

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    When in Romaine, don't eat the lettuce.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just talking about this. the industry has claimed to be trying to reduce contaminants for the last 12 years.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and no jennie-o ground turkey. seems ironic

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just two date codes. Ours is from a much earlier batch, so we kept them, cooked up one package a couple days ago.

But not for T-Day, that deserves a better level of product.