1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

That darn aux water pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jo-Jo Joseph Mims, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Jo-Jo Joseph Mims

Jo-Jo Joseph Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone found the best retrofit replacement auxilery/inverter cooling system 12v water pump?

I'm determined to find an upgrade for the stock single bearing pump. That thing has proven at this point to be a design failure at its base concept. It does look like the gen 3 has upgrade design, but I haven't seen the inside of one yet.

Volx, MB, Audi and others use 12v aux pumps that don't have near the failure rate based on supplier sales/stocking data.

Just wondering if anyone has looked at this already?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The pump seems to fail every 100k miles or so. What data are you getting that's different? Aftermarket pumps are inferior though, so best to stick with OEM

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't know. Do any of these other aux coolant pumps get used at 100% duty cycle? I usually see them as part time heater booster pumps or as "after run" pumps on turbo engines. The prius inverter pump runs anytime the car is ready.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep my tsb recall pump lasted 100,000 miles that’s a good run for an electric pump.

Just make sure the fluid has a lot of movement in the reservoir after replacement. My factory replacement denso pump has the same behavior looks like it’s boiling which means the aluminum coolant radiator and heat exchanger loop is clean and was properly bled of air and has very strong circulation.

after market pumps are junk.

5. Krokettenslayer

Krokettenslayer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Didn't Toyota redesign the original one bearing pump to have double bearings?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not heard that in this site but it may have been improved post TSB.
    Bottom line the factory pump works great and the auto parts store pump has a high rate of early failure based on what we see here.but the pump online I like
    Toyota
    Olathe Parts

mine failed and was tine sensitive so over the counter the pump was $180.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The ones that I have cut apart have a impeller / magnet assembly that ride on a single long bushing- no actual ball bearings or seals. The electronics for the brushless motor are completely encased in plastic and silicone potting compound with no exposure to coolant.

8. Jo-Jo Joseph Mims

Jo-Jo Joseph Mims Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm anxious to try the new double bearing Dorman replacement.

I've been through 2 $35 aftermarket and 2 unknowns that I pulled from wrecks... I'm trying a cab heater system pump from a wrecked gen 2 now. It's slightly louder, but not offensive, moves plenty of juice, and seems like possibly a more robust design(I haven't opened one up yet though).

I have no issue changing them and always carry one as one of my spare items. Also, I monitor systems continuously with Torque Pro so as to catch any issue as it happens.

I'm getting ready to test out a comparable Audi pump. Likely install in this week.