1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

That's it!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Feb 3, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Bye, have fun, sign on when you get there...of course, we wouldn't notice the difference but heck, you'll be warmer. The earth might move or the weather will be really wild but it'll save you from freezing your butt off for a few months so if it's worth it, go for it.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 3 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]384985[/snapback]</div>

If you look closely at that WeatherBug screen, you'll notice a link that says "Change Location." Click it, click it now!

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 3 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]384985[/snapback]</div>
    South O.C. today: EIGHTY FOUR degrees. Help ... I need an ice cold coke to cool me down. Never mind, I'll just go down to the community pool (splashing sounds of relief ... and smugness). Oh, sorry. Whoops! Now I'm lieing. :p
    Excuse me while I go find another cold beer before the game.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 4 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]385191[/snapback]</div>
    during the summer it says warm low 80s and huuuuumid......

We are happy to get a cold snap, if it freezes at night for 3 dys the mosquitios die :)

We also get those GIANT yellow and black GRASSHOPPERS! <yuck> they make a cracking sound when you run them over with your car..

Even if you dont see them, every home has palmetto bugs they hang out in the walls.

And we have transplanted people from all over that cant drive, they do 55 in 65 mph zones..

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 4 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]385177[/snapback]</div>
    I actually adjust the temperature depending on ambient conditions. When it's hot outside, I let the temperature creep up to 77 or so before turning on the A/C. The colder it is outside, the colder I keep it inside. Even keeping the condo at 67, I'm still comfy in a tee.

However my elderly father prefers much warmer temps, due to his arthritis, and since he moved in with me after my Mom died, it created a bit of tension between us. I finally found the solution though: for his bedroom I got an electric heater, since power here in Manitoba is quite cheap compared to other places in North America. So he can keep his room a stifling 78-80.

About the only other occupant of my condo who likes that sort of temperature is my cat.

In the living room I have a natural gas fireplace. My Dad will leave it on most of the day and soak up the heat. It's a fair compromise for all concerned.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 4 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]385205[/snapback]</div>
    Yep it's an instinctive Survival Mechanism for Northern climates: flames are better than ice

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 4 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]385205[/snapback]</div>
    It was probably a Coleman then. A bimetal spring on the back of the heater allowed you to very roughly set the temperature. The burner well had enough oil to keep a "low" fire going, sort of like a pilot for a gas appliance. When the bimetal spring tightened up, it lifted the float valve and more oil flowed in, with a higher flame.

Fancier ones used a thermopile and a millivolt thermostat on the wall to turn on/off the float. They also would work without power, as the thermopile works by heat.

Sooting was a big problem with those heaters, as there was no inducer fan to force combustion air into the chamber. An oil furnace/boiler has much less sooting as the combustion air is forced, so the flame is much hotter.

Like an oil lamp, the flames in a Coleman or similar oil heater are yellowish, and very sooty. The quality of fuel used was also important, highway diesel or jet fuel worked best, especially jet fuel as it usually has Prist or another anti-gel already blended in.

I was a kid when my folks had such a heater in a very old house, and if I recall the instructions called for routine cleaning of the burner ring. That model also had an oil tank hooked to the back of the unit, which you would take outside to fill up. The house always stunk of diesel.

Fond memories to be sure, but I'll stick with my comfy central system thanks.

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For 20 years, I was in tropical Sri Lanka (in a coastal city), around 80F and 80% humidity everyday.
    Then I moved to Tucson, AZ where it gets 110F and 5% humidity in summer.
    Now I am in Michigan where it is -14F today.

Where should I go next?

8. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 3 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]385006[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, we missed out on 2 months of bitching about the weather, so now we need to make up for lost time. :lol:

9. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Right Now for
    South Pasadena, CA (91030)

Clear
    73°F
    Feels Like
    73°F
    Updated Feb 4 06:45 p.m. PT

UV Index: 0 Low
    Wind: From E at 4 mph
    Humidity: 13%
    Pressure: 30.12 in.
    Dew Point: 18°F
    Visibility: 10.0 miles

All freezing PRIites are welcomed to Kalifornia
    We are civilized, liberal, more-or-less friendly people.
    AND having Eastern PRIites move here will improve the gene pool :D

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Feh! Maybe it's the hard liquor talking, but beat THIS

Attached Files:

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Feb 4 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]385309[/snapback]</div>
    I don't remember if the thermostat was on the wall or on the heater. Control was not as precise as a modern thermostat, but it was pretty darn good. The worst problem was the leaky walls and windows: on windy days the floors were cold no matter what.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Feb 4 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]385309[/snapback]</div>
    I had no instruction book for that heater. But the fuel tank was outside, maybe a couple hundred gallons, and there was no smell in the house. The weak link was the portion of the fuel line from the tank to the house. Once I put heat tape on it it was okay.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I guess its plain to see why everyone wants to move to Florida ;)

[​IMG]

Mon (hi/lo - rain chance)
    Feb 5 Sprinkles
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    59°/46° 20%

Tue
    Feb 6 Partly Cloudy
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    66°/45° 10%

Wed
    Feb 7 Partly Cloudy
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    70°/53° 10%

Thu
    Feb 8 Few Showers
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    71°/51° 30%

Fri
    Feb 9 Few Showers
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    73°/51° 30%

Sat
    Feb 10 Partly Cloudy
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    73°/55° 10%

Sun
    Feb 11 Partly Cloudy
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    71°/53° 10%

Mon
    Feb 12 Scattered Showers
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    66°/56° 30%

Tue
    Feb 13 Showers
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    71°/58° 60%

Wed
    Feb 14 Sunny
    (hi/lo - rain chance)
    75°/56° 10%

Neeener, neeener neeeeener ! :p :lol: :lol: B)

13. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 4 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]385246[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but you also get paid more to reflect your high cost of living. My job in California pays almost triple (yes, I've looked!). San Diego is like nirvana for me - no humidity, but still warm. I live in Columbia, aka the center of hell. Nichole gave me 2 options for our wedding - 1 was in May and 1 was in March. I chose the March one because it is the only time I have a chance of not sweating all the way through to my tux jacket - in the air conditioning!

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, it looks like our low temperature overnight tied a record

Attached Files:

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok Tony. so now you can brag since Chicago's weather made the NBC national news tonight...nice pix of the cutter breaking up the ice in Lake Michigan...