1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 09, she is gone, sold, 3rd gen on the list

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Jan 3, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I compiled a spreadsheet with 2009 package, miles, seller and asking price, then averaged the miles and price. Vast majority of dealer ads are for package 2's.

So, I could quote the average asking price on autotrader was $18.4k with 34k miles and all package 2's except for 2 out of 25 ads. Almost all dealer ads.

CL was $17.8k at 34k miles, again almost all pack2's.

That plus seeing kbb, nada and edmunds all post about $18.7 excellent condition PP sale helped.

The lookers were like OMG, wow, really .... this thing looks new. Not bragging though cause it's also a sign of not having really 'lived in' it enough either. But, curb appeal helps a bit.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as leads from CL vs autotrader ....

The car was up on autotrader 12/28, not on CL

At that point, I received a first call from a PA area where I asked of their location and intent. Never called back. 2nd call was from a Las Vegas recorded message ad'ing to sell my car for even more for ad'd price. Likely BS service, scam, who knows. I've also had 'unavailable number' calls come in my cell phone with no response.

The autotrader ad said there were no emails through it, and only 4 phone number lookups, 2 of which were from the above. Autotrader did send me a party offering $16.5

I received several emails which likely came through CL. The buyers 1st saw it on CL, so CL won this battle.

3. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I first put my ad on CL then the next day on autotrader. So far no bites, except 2 obvious scammers (on CL) and I dropped the price on both by $500 this morning.

However, my next door neighbor looked intrigued when I mentioned my car was for sale and told him the price. He's going to think about it and talk to the wife when she gets back in town.

Worse comes to worse, if it doesn't sell within the next 2 or 3 months I'll just donate it. I know that's not the best solution at all, in terms of getting $$$, but at some point I need to stop paying insurance for 2 cars when I'm only using one. Plus I transferred my registration/plate to the Prius and the Saab is now unplated.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys and dolls, just wanted to touch base as I may not be around these parts so often ... bought an '11 Accord EX 2DR Silver, 4 cyl automatic, picture on request.

I typically drive about 7 or 8k miles a year, so gas shouldn't be too much of an expense. Prius came in 3rd after the '11 Mazda 3 five door Grand Touring (btw, Fremont Mazda twice handed me keys after copying license, said 'enjoy your test drive', solo, no pressure, that's customer service!

I could see a handful of changes that might have put Prius on top, namely -

lumbar support in the cloth seat
    perfected steering wheel placement/adjustment range (center it in front of seat, not off to left!)
    improve door armrests,
    obviously an Accord-like interior would work for me, classic center console in 4 gen Prius
    reshape taillights (no boomerang shape), ok as is, were never a deal breaker
    16" OEM wheel option on III and IV
    Consider some gages in front of driver which seems to be more the norm in advanced tech cars,
    whole, full-size dead pedal for left foot
    softer plastics for the dash

anyrate, keep bringing the advanced tech cars Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Ford, Nissan, GM, everyone, I'll hit it next time around.

Gotta go rearrange the garage, new car a bit wider :)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your new Accord! I was wondering what happened to it when your profile changed. They did some tweaks to the 2011 models for fuel economy so you got the benefit of that!

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats on finding a new car, cycledrum! How many hours did you spend test driving each of your top 3 choices? I assume you spent the most time in the Gen III?