1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 2014 list of CARB States in the US

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by JimboPalmer, Jan 19, 2014.

1. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, basically, we all need to find where this CARB label would be.

Sounds like there is a lot of confusion over crossing state lines. As I said above, my car was originally sold in NY (CARB), I bought it Certified in VA (second owner; not CARB) and have it registered in DC (not CARB). Would love to know if it will become re-CARB warrantied if I register it in MD (CARB) within the warranty period (CARB or Federal). Like, once a car is registered in a non-CARB state is CARB warranty option gone forever or no? Also, if people originally bought their car in a non-CARB state, can it ever be CARB? From the Toyota letter, sounds like the answer to the second question (never CARB) is no, but the answer to my question about a vehicle that would have been originally registered CARB is not.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Would love to know if it will become re-CARB warrantied if I register it in MD (CARB) within the warranty period (CARB or Federal). Like, once a car is registered in a non-CARB state is CARB warranty option gone forever or no?

Toyota's letter states 1) originally CARB, and 2) currently CARB, so once registered in MD it is CARB again.

Also, if people originally bought their car in a non-CARB state, can it ever be CARB?

No. Although originally WA, PA, or DE would be interesting, as they are CARB, except no warranty extension. What happens if you move to another CARB state with the extension?

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^Let's say you bought used Prius, I assume what really matters is what state it was orginally purchased.

The crux of the question, but I don't know the answer, is "CARB certified" defined by a sticker or label, or is it defined by the first state of registration. If its a sticker, the easiest way to get one is to purchase in a CARB state but there could be other possible scenarios to get one with a sticker outside CARB. One example, I might go to MD to buy a hybrid.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The sticker is on the underside of the hood. It'll have an engine code and maybe an emission rating it. Under the vehicle listing on fueleconomy.gov there is a an environmental or emission tab. There you can look up a car's rating for different states. It will also give the engine code.

I no longer have a Prius so can't say what a Pa purchased one says any more.

sosarahsays likes this.
  5. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll try to remember to check for one on my car tomorrow and report back.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay...what's with the asterisk?

When I originally bought my Prius, the salesman said the Hybrid Battery warranty was the 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I told him I thought Oregon was a Carb State and the warranty on the battery would be 10 years or 150,000 miles. Wisely maybe, he neither confirmed or denied.

I called the Toyota 1-800, customer service number to confirm and asked "Toyota". The person I talked to told me that YES Oregon was a CARB state and that the warranty was 10 years or 150,000 miles. Now I see this thread which seems to suggest that in Oregon I do NOT get the benefit of the 2 extra years and/or 50,000 miles?

Which is it?

I really want to know. No immediate plans to do anything. But it could long term affect decisions on when I would start to consider trading the Prius in....

Considerable difference in having a 5 year old Prius...with potentially 5 more years left on the Hybrid Battery warranty, than having a 5 year old Prius and only 3 years and 100,000 miles on the warranty.

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The states with an Asterisk (WA, PA, and DE) Have the CARB warranty, but only a very short duration. (Why ? I don't know)

I am not sure why you are concerned about OR.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-13Prius/pdf/2013_Toyota_Prius_WMG.pdf
    (page 15 of the PDF, page 13 of the manual. DE is not mentioned as it is new for 2014)

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    PA Clean Vehicle Program

Pennsylvania didn't completely adopted CARB. It appears they just don't want vehicles that are federal emission only. With most models, the practice of the manufacturer offering a seperate federal and CARB compliant engine and emission system with a model has disappeared. In practice, Pa is a CARB state. The difference is it only seems to be that Toyota doesn't have to pay for the longer warranty. Thus, they choose not too.

Prii, no matter where they are sold, have the same engine and emission equipment. Which was designed to cost Toyota the least possible under CARB's PZEV standard and warranty. The extended warranty is a plus for selling the car, but I don't think it will sway trade in value much if the car is approaching the end of the federal limits. With a 5 year old car, it will likely still be long enough to match up with any certified/used car warranty the dealer might offer.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree OR is full CARB as far as I know.
    The asterisk was for PA.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. No defense. Simply looked at the list wrong. For some reason thinking the Asterisk for PA applied to the entire line, including Oregon.

I thought Oregon was a CARB state with the full Hybrid Battery Warranty, as that was what Toyota said, but I was momentarily nervous if only because my Salesman when I was buying the Prius did NOT know this....

Anyway my bad. The old reading comprehension skills are the first to go.

11. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Late coming back to this party, but update on my car, which was bought in a CARB state but sold to me (second owner) in a non-CARB state and is now registered in a non-CARB state. The sticker under my hood says U.S. EPA and California: PZEV. I am guessing this means my car is up to CARB standard and if I move back to a CARB state it might extend the warranty back to the original CARB length?

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume so too, but I am hoping you move to non-CARB Virginia. However, in the event you do move to MD and in the unlikely event you need to replace your battery under 150k mile warranty, try to pick a major dealer who will work with you to work it out with Toyota. I am under the impression some dealers are better than others. Last year for example many MD dealers sold Plug-In Prius to out-of-staters (CA etc) with Toyota discounts, but other MD dealers misinformed consumers and said this was not possible. I do not know if some dealers have less status with Toyota or what.

In any case I would certainly be assertive and say you assume you are covered. You could also write to Toyota USA to clarify in advance...if you move.

sosarahsays likes this.
  13. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I actually will likely move later this year if my roommate gets the overseas job she is applying for. I'll keep you updated! I think for auto tax/registration reasons, it would probably be better for me to stay in DC if I can for now, but we'll see!

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting your sticker says PZEV...that's the No. 1 top best label. I have not seen this yet (but I am looking at Gen2's). You should be good in a CARB state, but it depends on what I call the "immaculate registraton" rule, which is a rule, that many infer, that if the vehcile is ever registered outside of a CARB state could be disqualified.

Jimbo- Your OP was a very good post....believe we need to add DE as another asterisk CARB state (no PZEV coverage for the extended battery coverage)

15. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I went to change it, but it was already asterisked.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Oops my bad I missed it...sorry

17. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So my California Prius will also be covered by the 150,000 mile emissions warranty even if I move to Maryland. Good to know. :)

This is how "change" usually happens in this country. The Member States of the union start adopting a new idea (no more slavery, give women the vote, outlaw child labor, adopt CARB regulations), and then eventually the central government adopts the same idea & takes credit as if they came up with it. :D

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    All the gen III prii are the same. The CARb is only about the waranty. My guess is if you register in a carb state you will be covered.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am coming to agree all US Prii are fully CARB certified, and then CARB apparently allows the manufacturers to set up rules to disqualfiy from CARB coverage otherwise fully compliant, CA-certified cars in CARB states.

No one here that I know, knows Toyota's rule on the round trip "In-Out-In" CARB case. Everything I've seen from Toyota so far stresses that once you register outisde of CARB you're CARB-disqualified by Toyota's rules. Now I've asked for a ruling what about if you move back to CARB? But we must assume the worst. However, realize it's easy to ask that In-Out-In coverage question, but can you imagine the rarity of the case where someone moved In-out-In CARB and also the battery died between 8-yr 100k and 10-yr 150k? Case may not have actually happened yet. I think the case it will happen though. Gen2 batts are dropping fairly fast now. The OP case is funny too, holy cow: how can Toyota accuse her of a violation by being registred in a non-CARB state...DC is not even a state!!

When I look at FORD warranty, it just says if you're regsitered in a CARB state now, and if your car is CA-certified you are covered. So we need to realize that Toyota has a very complicated disqualification rule set, which is not clearly known to us except for the basics.

#39 wjtracy, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    austingreen likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The central gov step is to force Southern states to comply.