1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 4 Inch Screens - Both Blacked Out

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by KimPrius3, Sep 9, 2016.

1. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yesterday while running errands I came back to my Prius after having it parked (powered off) and found that when I started it the two 4 inch screens were black. Nothing showing up on them. I drove the car a short distance and then turn it off for a few seconds. Again the two screens were not lighting up. I waited an hour and started the car again, with the same results. I called the dealership where I purchased the car and the man asked if I could bring the car in right then. Being 2 hours away from the dealership, he suggested I take it to one that's about 45 minutes away. I asked if it was safe to drive the car and he said if I didn't feel that the car was safe, I could have it towed. After another few hours I got off from work and started the car again. The two screens were back to normal. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advise? I may take it in this weekend for a check.

2. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar experience in my Gen 3 - it happened after I jump-started the car. My guess at the time was that when the available 12V is low, the system tries to conserve 12V power by turning off everything that is not essential. Next time I started the car, everything was back to normal.

But it doesn't make sense in your case - unless you have a problem with your 12V battery - which is highly unlikely. If your 12V battery is healthy, then sound like a shaky connection.

RCO likes this.
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    There is an option to turn off the big screen..

Could you have possibly hit that by mistake and then turned the radio on or something like that causing it to turn back on??

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a different screen though from what Kim lost.

RCO likes this.
  5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Oh, was she meaning the speedometer screen and the one next to it? Sorry... I'm stumped.

Maybe a short circuit or loose wire?

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  6. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I discovered exactly how/why the two screens went black. So much to my embarrassment, I will share this information on this forum. There is a button/switch on the left side below the steering wheel about knee level. This switch allows you to turn off the two 4 inch screens or at least make them appear black. Apparently when getting in or out of the car, at some point I must have touched the switch and darkened the two screens. I hope this information can keep someone else from getting so freaked out and that they can avoid embarrassment. :oops: Still learning . . .

RCO, krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that near the HUD, VSC and AutoHighBeam adjustment switches? If so, mine has a blank plate there, but I can see a +/- light adjustment switch on the UK online Owner's manual.

RCO likes this.
  8. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, that's where it is and I will not forget it either.

RCO likes this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Kim. I think you are referring to the dimmer switch? I didn't think it would black out the screens totally. But how did they suddenly come back on for you?

10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh - I'd knocked the AutoHighBeam switch as well - I suspect maybe my knee.

I checked my manual, and it tells me that meter brightness is adjusted through the steering wheel settings buttons. It also says there is a "SCREEN OFF" setting "turns the multi-information display off" - no idea why, and I haven't been game to try it. It's odd that they do different things in different countries.

RCO and KimPrius3 like this.
  11. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know, I just started up the car and they were on. I'm still a teeny bit concerned it might happen again and will be taking it straight to the dealer if it does. It sure scared me.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It might be possible that the car resets to a "default" level after it's restarted? Now you got me curious. I gotta play with it tomorrow. :)

13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did it turn your HUD off at the same time? Or did it keep shining with the display turned off?

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I turned my screens off today. It's just a dimmer switch, so I don't know why Toyota would make them go completely "black." I guess it would be good if you're parked for a long time at night and staying in the car with the power on... or sleeping in the car. (My seat is all the way back, so no chance of my knee hitting the switch.)

alanclarkeau, RCO and krmcg like this.
  15. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't remember any other car I had, where you were able to completely turn off the speedometer light... while driving? And if you also turn off the big Nav/radio screen (which I did) it gets pretty dark in there.

Mommy! :eek: