1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 7% Solution

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 22, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Arthur Conan Doyle,

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
    It is also is also:

The relationship between precipitation and temperature is founded in science. Simply put, warmer air holds more moisture. Scientists can even tell you how much. A widely used theorem in climate science called the Clausius-Clapeyron equation dictates that for every degree the temperature goes up, there is an approximately 7 percent increase in the amount of moisture the atmosphere can hold. The intensity of extreme precipitation, which is proportional to atmospheric moisture, also increases at a scaling rate of approximately 7 percent, in the absence of moisture limitations.

The problem is that when scientists ran computer models predicting the likelihood of extreme precipitation in the future, and compared those results with both present day observations and the temperature scaling dictated by the so-called "C-C equation," the numbers were off. In many cases, the increase in extreme precipitation relative to surface temperature over land was closer to 2 to 5 percent, rather than 7 percent. . . .

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170307100337.htm

Now this is one of the conundrums of climate modeling, the predictions do not match the weather observations. But these become opportunities (usually for graduate students) to write a paper or thesis. <grins> The summary goes on:

However, Wang says the peaks seen in the observational data and climate models simply reflect the natural variability of the climate. As Earth warms, her team found, the entire curve representing the relationship between extreme precipitation and rising temperatures is moving to the right. This is because the threshold temperature at which rain intensity peaks also goes up as temperature rises. Therefore, extreme rainfall will continue to increase, she says.
    One of the things the climate models appear to show are extremes of drought and flood. For example:
    • Texas
    • California
    It is as if a switch were thrown taking each state from severe drought to floods. But this is not unique to North America, India and SouthEast Asia has had similar extremes. So what did they find?

. . . says Wang. "Our study suggests that this is a wrong question to ask. If you want to relate rain intensity to temperature using the C-C relationship as a reference, you have to relate to the temperature at which the rain event occurs, not the mean temperature, which is the long term average."

. . . Trenberth explains the findings this way:

"In general, extreme precipitation increases with higher temperatures because the air can hold more moisture -- although that depends on moisture availability. But beyond a certain point, it is the other way round: the temperature responds to the precipitation, or more strictly speaking, the conditions leading to the precipitation, [such as extensive cloud cover or surface moisture]. The most obvious example of this is in a drought where there is no precipitation. Another example is in cloudy, stormy conditions, when it is wet and cool. By relating the changes in precipitation to the temperature where the relationship reverses -- instead of the mean temperature as in previous studies -- we can make sense of the differences and the changes. Moreover, it means there is no limit to the changes that can occur, as otherwise might be suspected if there were a fixed relationship."

Now I all but memorized the Steam Tables, actually the unique phase changes of water. What this tells me is to understand precipitation and ice, one has to understand the non-linear effects of water phase changes including both fresh and salt water. So let me translate this in 'Bob' (not always a good thing.)
    • polar ice - driven by salt-water freezing and fresh water precipitation that deposit snow
    • drought vs flood - driven by some interesting, global air patterns that seem to find binary states over various surface area. These air motions (I can not call them circulations) mean there are 'resonate states' that provide geographical patterns.
    Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There is a global atmospheric biphasic system called the quasi-biennial oscillation (QBO). While in no way claiming it relates to rainfall 'tails', it has been invoked for Asian monsoon. Strong and weak monsoon years tend to alternate.

QBO is also one of those things that coupled ocean-atmosphere models cannot yet develop without external prodding :)

Not entirely unrelated is the idea of where rainfall actually comes from. Meaning, from marine or terrestrial evaporation? a 2010 publication by Van der Ent et al "Origin and fate of atmospheric moisture over continents" analyzed stable isotopes from lots of rain samples. Made a wonderful map that I ask students to meditate on.

Why should PriusChat not be similarly encumbered?

global precip recycling.PNG

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting, I need to do a little more study in that area. However, there is some associated information from another, lay source:
    Global warming is increasing rainfall rates | John Abraham | Environment | The Guardian

The graph in the article suggest that the rain threshold changes with the temperature:

The idea is shown in the sketch below. Details vary with location but, as the world warms, there is a shift from one curve to the next, from left to right. The result is a shift such that more intense precipitation occurs at higher temperatures in future, while the drop-off moves to even higher temperatures.
    . . .
    The authors find that in some parts of the globe, the relationship is even stronger. For instance, in the tropics, there’s more than a 10% increase in precipitation for a degree Celsius increase in temperature. This is not unexpected because precipitation releases latent heat, which can in turn invigorate storms.

From a practical standpoint, this helps us plan for climate change (it is already occurring) including planning resiliency. In the United States, there has been a marked increase in the most intense rainfall events across the country. This has resulted in more severe flooding throughout the country.

In my state, we have had four 1000-year floods since the year 2000! Two years ago, Minneapolis, Minnesota had such flooding that people were literally fishing in the streets as lakes and streams overflowed and fish escaped the banks. No joke, I actually observed fish swimming past me as I waded up a street. This occurrence is being observed elsewhere in my country and around the world.

Bob Wilson

4. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remain unconvinced of the effect AGW is having/will have on precipitation intensity. I know IPCC AR5 concluded that it is "likely" that the number of heavy precipitation events has generally increased since 1950 (quotes added), but it also added that observational uncertainty is much larger than for temperature.

Most of the very short-term (<one hour) record rainfall rates happened before 1960, although that is a function of a rain gauge being in the heavy rainfall event. A recent study in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society concluded that rain gauges cover an incredibly small portion of the earth's surface (~0.00000000059%) (Kidd et al., “So, how much of the earth’s surface is covered by rain gauges?” January 2017 BAMS, Pages 69-78). The observation that 1000-year floods have occurred several times since 2000 may be more of a function of persistence than increased rainfall intensity, which may or may not be associated with AGW.

The "warmer air can hold more water" assertion (Clausius-Clapeyron equation) is certainly valid, but warmer air doesn't necessarily hold more water. Surface temps in the Southwestern U.S. are commonly in the 90s F in Spring, but surface dewpoints are sometimes below 0 F.

It takes more than a lot of atmospheric moisture for heavy rainfall events anyway. I may have mentioned this before, but as a NWS forecaster in Brownsville, TX, in the late 1990s, I was initially alarmed by the "loaded gun" atmospheric profile soundings common during the summer there (BRO is an upper-air site). Surface dewpoints were routinely in the upper 70s F to low 80s F, precipitable water (PW) was commonly >2.0 inches, thermodynamics (e.g., CAPE, LI) were off-the-charts, and all you would end up with was scattered flat-top cumulus all afternoon (no precip). A "trigger" is typically required to make use of the "loaded" atmospheric profile, which seldom happens in deep South Texas (average annual precip there is only about 25"). Whether a valid assumption can be made that future upper-air dynamics in a warming environment will remain similar to what typically happens now is debatable, in my opinion.

tochatihu and bwilson4web like this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Any post mentioning CAPE gets a like. I'm easy :)

6. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Very interesting suggested link to (decreasing) monsoonal strength.One wonders whether analogous monsoonal patterns in Africa and N. Amer. show decadal trends.

Article does not mention analysis of extreme snow or ice (not hail) events, but 2008 was exceptional in that regard.

#7 tochatihu, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    wxman likes this.