1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The A Pillar

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Trelauney, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Trelauney

Trelauney New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi folks.

So this 2017 / ZVW50 ( darn tetraphobia ) Prius is almost two months in my possession. And my pair Of Viofo A119 dashcams are installed, softwired - and it's time to change that.

I have pair of cheap Chinese hardwire kits - it'll get me from 12V to 5V, even if the sticker on one was upside-down.

But this A-Pillar cover... on the driver (left) side - the top hook - I managed to get it unhooked once, looking around, planning - and it was so difficult I left the cover off for days. When I did get the cover back on, after struggling, it didn't, and does not, lay flat.

Is there some tool that should make this easy?

Is there a 'proper' orientation of that top hook?

2. Trelauney

Trelauney New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok. Since I got such a response, I finally paid the $15 for access to techinfo@toyota

Namely,

TOYOTA 2016-2017 Prius Repair Manual (RM3200U) >> Vehicle Interior >> INTERIOR PANELS / TRIM >> ROOF HEADLINING

So,

1. The "Front Pillar Garnish Clip" & "Front Pillar Garnish LH" (the "cover") should stay connected,
    2. The clip may be sacrificed removing it from the car frame, but maybe not,
    3. there are tabs that can be levered out where it connects to the frame if your hands can't reach
    4. The curve of the clip should be towards the windshield when reinstalling. (palms toward chest, hook finger. Like that.)

#2 Trelauney, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just pop it out enough to snake the wire down (or up) then close it back up. No need to take it completely out or break that clip.

4. Trelauney

Trelauney New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, hands have the wrong combination of bigness & computer-typing softness... I might be able to do it if not for the airbag.

Good advice, if I hadn't already reinstalled the clip backwards. I think I'd want to try and find a path from below with a straitened wire hangar.

5. Trelauney

Trelauney New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having done more research, an even more preferred method -

1. Purchase "12V 6+6 Y-Cable Car AUX CD Changer Interface Splitter"

2. Chop off a duplicate connector

3. Connect cheap 12v to 5v usb mini-b converter to appropriate wires

4. Connect lane detection camera & harness to intact connectors

5. Profit

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual may say the front pillar garnish clip (part number 62217-78010) is reusable if undamaged, but Southeast Toyota Distributors, in their accessory installation instructions for the HomeLink mirror (SET-AI-2595-D on techinfo.toyota.com), says always to discard the clip and replace it, and I gladly took their advice.

It’s not hard to see why: the clip is inexpensive to replace ($3.07 or ¥150 list), can be time-consuming and difficult to remove intact, and might interfere with proper airbag deployment if damaged or improperly reinstalled.

If you have to remove it again, consider this procedure: open the front pillar garnish far enough to expose the clip, cut the narrow section (carefully) with nippers, and extract the pieces conveniently once the garnish is fully removed.

(I assume you’ve read and followed the precautions in the Repair Manual for working near the airbags, including having waited at least 90 seconds after the negative battery terminal has been disconnected before starting work.)

7. Trelauney

Trelauney New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you - and no, I didn't before, but I'll be sure to disconnect the battery with now that cutting edges are involved.

Elektroingenieur likes this.