1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Acceleration Trick

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by electricity_guzzler, May 31, 2006.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Jun 1 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]263980[/snapback]</div>
    The answer to what?

2. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jun 1 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]264102[/snapback]</div>
    i've had people do that to me. when i try to overtake them on the right because they won't move over, they speed up. so what i do is accelerate faster (it helps that i was driving powerful cars then), overtake and then step on the brakes. not hard but just light enough to turn on the brake lights. this scares these rude people who don't want you to pass that it's guaranteed they won't do it again to anybody else.

the best one: i was driving about 80 on the highway following a car, not tailgating but just following. then when the lane on the right cleared i shifted lanes because it was obvious he wasn't going to move. i didn't tailgate or flash my lights to signal my intention to pass, but the highway in front of us was wide open, so i didn't mind changing lanes to the right to pass. now when i accelerated slowly, he also matched my acceleration. it was really funny because we were going 90-95 now and he was still matching my speed so i can't pass. this happened for several seconds. although i know i could easily out-accelerate him (because i know my car had better horsepower) i gave him a chance to have a fill of his fun and ease up. but he did not. and eventually we were fast approaching another car on my lane. no way i'm gonna slow-down. the car ahead was probably doing 70. we were doing 95 at that point. so i floored the gas pedal and moved in front of him at about 105mph just in time before we caught the car in front. then immediately i stepped on the brakes just light enough to turn on the brake lights. i didn't want him to crash on me of course. i held the brakes for many seconds until our speed dropped down to 60. he eventually changed lanes to the right. i resumed my 80mph speed. then he tried to catch up to me. i allowed him to pull along and actually overtake (i did not accelerate). he flipped his middle finger when he passed me on his lane. i was laughing. and i accelerated again and pulled alongside him and glared at him. i didn't flip him or anything, just glared. he looked shaken. and i accelerated again and he did not follow this time. :)

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jun 1 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]264170[/snapback]</div>
    I thought "Jesus was the answer". So there is a dichotomy in the US between those who believe Jesus is the answer and those who favour guns. Why don't they just agree on a Jesus who packs heat?

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jun 1 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]264170[/snapback]</div>
    To the question, "what's 'snug' spelled backwards?"

5. too tall

too tall New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ Jun 1 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]264189[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! What a crazy story.

Something like that happened here on the curvy, dangerous road to Santa Cruz: "Two drivers apparently became enraged while trying to pass each other on southbound state Highway 17 Sunday evening resulting in a 95 mph road rage crash that miraculously left only one person with minor injuries."