1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The AirBnb of EV charging

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Marine Ray, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it nationwide yet? Last I saw it was only in Cali.

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    How would a private power owner determine how much to charge? I don't recall that all EV charging points have meters on them, and if the owner was on a time of day plan, these would be unlikely to be economical during the peak times. In California, for example, it's 12.6 cents/KWh at night, but peak rates 49 cents summer and 34 cents winter. Peak is 2pm to 9 pm M-F, 3 pm to 7 pm S-Su.
    Partial peak rates 7 am to 2 pm and 9pm to 11 pm M-F would be 26.5 cents summer, and 20.7 cents winter.

4. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't see how this is any different than getting a Chargepoint home charger and making it public, if Chargepoint were to allow that.

Maybe it can use a schedule of electric rates, GPS location and the honor system to charge the appropriate amount of money for an unmetered charger. It could assume that charging happens at the maximum rate the charger allows, which would discourage people from parking longer than necessary.

I wouldn't want random people parking in my driveway to charge while I was at work, and there's nothing in walking distance of my house anyway, so I don't really understand what this is for. There's already Plugshare to find home chargers that people share for free. And for businesses it seems like just another EV network that doesn't need expensive public charging stations. Around here, Chargepoint is the only network that's really worth using, since the others are too expensive or uncommon. But their stations are really really expensive, I think around $8000, which is hard for a business to justify.