1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Alarm - Goes off randomly

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Incredible, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The optional car alarm is set off by hail storms. That, I can live with.

But since it started getting cold, it goes off more or less randomly. After a couple of hours past parking it. In the night. Out in the parking lot at work. I can't tell for sure but I think it's a cooling-down thing. Some sensor is set off by it.

I have to make an appointment to get it looked at, but was wondering if anyone else is having anything like this happening.

2. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid 2013 Prius v Five 2012 Priuc c Four

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yep...

Would that be Toyota's:

VIP RS3200 Plus System. The VIP RS3200 Plus (Vehicle Intrusion Protection) is a complete vehicle security system with alarm and glass breakage sensor for vehicles that already have keyless entry with remote lock/unlock. When equipped with the VIP RS3200 Plus, the vehicle's security system is activated immediately if the glass is broken or if forced entry of a door is attempted. It includes a wide range of security and convenience features including automatic rearming and relocking, door-ajar warning, interior light activation, panic alarm, rolling code technology and disabling of the starter.

Or a dealer sourced item?

3. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's the VIP system. Added on at the dealer before pickup.

They said there's a sensitivity adjustment available, but I didn't get it adjusted when the hail thing came up. Now I'll get it adjusted.

4. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely a sensitivity issue. I remember my first car alarm was initially so sensitive that if a cat jumped on the hood, or the wind was high, it would set off the alarm.

5. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sensitivity, yes. Though I have not been accused of that myself, the C has it.

I think I've found the culprit. When my cigars are finished I put the end in a screw-top can. I empty it later or simply throw it out. I use a can from an energy drink.

As the butt goes out it uses up the air in the can. It creates a vacuum. The vacuum pulls in the sides of the can. POP! POP!

Alarm goes off. Scramble for keys. Push the button.

I've taken to loosening the lid before I go in. So far it hasn't gone off again. It isn't exactly a Perry Mason moment, but close.

RocMills likes this.