1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The [B] gear??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by senectus, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the difference using "B" in the Classic and the 2k4 is really noticable. The 2k4 drops speed better and faster, more powerful you bet. one day I'll do comparison on reg icons, as I notice the 2k3 is a lot better at regen than our 2k1 was. The 2k3 gets better mileage as well and that has been documented by Yellow Cab 15.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Attila on PriusOnline has been able to interface into the CAN and decipher quite a bit of info through a laptop/pda. I'll ask him to analyze B mode.

By the way, a few times I have used B, once I stopped at a light while in B, my ICE did not until I got out of B. Normal 6 bar SOC. What gives?

3. Frank Hudon

ICE runs all the time when in B stopped or not. Stopped it gets fuel to run and if moving the ICE runs with and without fuel as needed.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not quite. On the 2G if you drop into when ICE is off AND you're going less than 20mph the ICE will not start up. Otherwise you're correct.

5. Frank Hudon

your right on the less than 20. Where I get caught is at the bottom of the big hill on the way to work is pull up to the traffic light and sit there thinking why won't it stop look at the scanner and all parameters are right and then look at the shift indicator and sure enough it's in B. Put in D and have more coffee to wake up.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Why in the world did they do that? There's no justification for it. I might understand if they run MG1 to crank the engine unfueled to try and bleed off excess SOC that might have occured because of B, but it does not make sense to unconditionally burn fuel at a stop.

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they're doing it to remind you to take it out of B mode?

8. PriusPhotog

PriusPhotog New Member

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this gear question. When I test drove a 2005 Prius last month (yes, I got lucky and the local dealer had one on the lot!!) I talked a lot with the salesman. He was very knowledgable regarding the car and its many details. He had driven various Prius's many times and seemed to have quite a lot of personal driving experience.

He encouraged me to plan ahead and to use the gear to break whenever possible. He said that driving was more efficient this way, and this seems to be at least partially backed up by the first paragraph of this Car and Driver Magazine review. Does anyone know if this is really true?
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...1&page_number=3

I'd like to learn more about it before my new Prius arrives sometimes this month. Thanks!

9. senectus

senectus New Member

LOVE this quote..

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > He said that driving was more efficient this way

Measurements done by a few owners have provided data proving this false. They showed less regeneration occured when in ... which makes sense.