1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The back hatch release is the worst setup for the winter cold

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by heyphillip, Feb 21, 2015.

1. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The release hatch in back of the 2010 thru 2015 Prius is horrible in the winter.It freezes and gets stuck causing the back hatch not to open.Anyone else having this issue.Maybe they should have had some kind of setup like the back window defroster where it defrosts the hatch

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Nope. Sorry no issue here with my 2015 Persona's rear hatch release this winter. Was -25 with wind chill the other day and still no issue.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not for me. Six winters with it so far, no problem.

Make that 5 winters. Over here on the warm side of the continent, the left coast, we didn't get winter this year.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Own Prii since 2005, several ones, and never had a problem with freezing rear latches

5. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Due to the non stop use of road salt here in Tropical Buffalo NY, I am running my 2012 Prius through frequent automatic touch less car washes in well below freezing temps without an issue.
    So much road salt that I purchase a unlimited monthly car wash pass for three months of the winter.

6. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Never have had a issue with any of my prius hatch releases. Maybe you have a hole in the rubber cover allowing moisture in causing it to freeze? That would be the only reason for that.

7. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Temps have been pretty brutal in the midwest last two winters, but I've not had any issues with the hatch release on my 2011.