1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The best tires money can buy.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Doza, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Goodrich is owned and made by Michelin. Cheap but your mileage will go down for 10,000 miles at least. I would go with a special order that my fellow members use with high MPG reports. Find a LRR tire for your car unless it is an emergency.

2. aditi1

aditi1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    V
    this is a good picture of car.
    i like it very much.:)

3. nthach

nthach New Member

If the parent's Prius needed tires to replace the no-Integrities now, I'd go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 in a heartbeat. I wish Michelin made the Pilot Exalto A/S in the 185/65-15 or 195/55-16 sizes.

I would consider Yokohama or Bridgestone too.

4. LAKE TAHOE PRIUS

LAKE TAHOE PRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have gone through my original tires in a year and a half with tread down to 2/32 - so need to buy new tires asap! I live at Lake Tahoe where we have heavy snow and driving over passes. Are you still pleased with your tires? Any negative comments to date? Would you still buy the same tires? I am debating whether to buy snow tires or the tires you bought. My local Prius dealer said they do not sell your tires, that they are the wrong size for my 2008 Prius. Help please!

5. LAKE TAHOE PRIUS

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have gone through my original tires in a year and a half with tread down to 2/32 - so need to buy new tires asap! I live at Lake Tahoe where we have heavy snow and mountain driving. Are you still pleased with your tires? Any negative comments to date? Would you still buy the same tires? I am debating whether to buy snow tires or the tires you bought. My local Prius dealer said they do not sell your tires, that they are the wrong size for my 2008 Prius. What would be the best tires to purchase. Safety more important than cost. Help please!

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the Consumer Reports November 2009 issue tire tests, if you want an all-season tire with the best snow handling and ice braking, then hands-down the tire to get is the Hankook Optimo H727.

The Hankook Optimo 727 is among the highest rated all-season tires in general. And for snow handling and ice braking, it rates higher than the Nokian WRG2 that a lot of people rave about. In fact, it rates as well or higher in snow handling and ice braking than most of the WINTER tires tested by Consumer Reports. Plus they only cost about $75 to $85 per tire, depending on where you get them from.

Here are the reviews, recommendations and Ratings Charts for Consumer Reports November 2009 issue tire tests. I'd look it over carefully if you're considering new all-season or winter tires -- it's the best and most comprehensive tire tests available now:

[​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

Good luck.

2 people like this.
  7. LAKE TAHOE PRIUS

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your prompt and very helpful reply. We are having our first major snowstorm of the season tonight - so I need to get the tires in a few days!

8. bufffy21798

bufffy21798 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I went with the Hankook Optimo h727s and am more than happy with them. I can't wait to try them on some ice and snow! I believe the user named China also has them.

9. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a subscription to CR Online and I read about their tire report for Nov 2009. I don't think I'd purchase the Hankook tires because they are difficult to find. My fear is that in the event one of the tires has a puncture and has to be replaced, it would be difficult to find a replacement.

Edit: I did some research and see that these tires are sold at PepBoys. Now it gives me some relief as there are plenty of those stores in my area. I will now consider that tires when it comes time for replacement.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sears is another brick and mortar place that sells Hankook. And I think I saw them at Strauss Auto too.

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is our second winter on the Michelin Hydroedges, and they have handled torrential rains, some snow, and a bit of ice just beautifully!

We've had to drive to Olympia (52 miles over the Black Hills) in high winds/rain storms, for medical appointments so far this year, and the grip of these tires are amazing!

I'm really sold on them.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I had a buck for everyone here (including me) who cried about integrity wear, I'd be a rich man. Ours were shot in less than 15K. If you made it to 25k with your Integrities, count your self lucky.

13. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the Falkens too. The ZE-512's in my case.

Bought them because they were cheap and were well rated by most users on the Net. They are better than the Goodyear Integrity OEM tires that they replaced, but anything would have been better than them. However, I've also lost about 4-5 mpg and traction is still not a good as I like (still get the slippage light even in non-wet situations).

I'm not going to pull them off just because of this but, if I keep the car long enough, I'll probably try the Michelins or Hankooks instead.

14. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I want to verify which size you got. The H727's don't seem to be made in the OEM size 185/65/R15. Did you get the 195/60/R15's?

I was looking at the SEARS web site and they suggest that the optional tire for the Prius is a 195/55/R15's which then is also not offered in the H727's.

15. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ack! I can't decide between:
    Michelin Primacy MXV4
    Michelin Energy Saver A/S

16. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow. I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine have over 85k on them. They'll be replaced when I get my oil change at 90k.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The best money can buy, eh ?
    How about made of gold, with diamond studs for snow ?

18. estherowen

estherowen New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A tire made from a cloud and wind, can money buy? It sucks:rockon:

19. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to get tires soon. I'm leaning towards the Michelin Primacy MXV4 or the Yokohama AVID Touring-S in stock (185 65 15) or 195 60 15. Decisions, Decisions.

20. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought the Michelin Energy Savers A/S. Fuel economy went up significantly from the Falken Ziex 92 tires I took off. Handling is great in wet and dry. I corner very hard to maintain kinetic momentum and fuel economy and they don't squeal one bit :D