1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Best XM solution for your Prius

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Jon, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Jon

Jon New Member

Here's why PriusXM is the best XM solution for your 2004 Prius.

- It's totally integrated into the multi-function display. No ugly head unit sitting on your dash.

- We include a 40 minute DVD that shows you an actual install in near real-time. Why spend $25,000 on a new car and then wreck it to save a few bucks. Get PriusXM and see how to do it right.

- The tuner is mounted securely in the vehicle. Again, you've just spent $25,000 - do you want some tuner wedged in the car somewhere where it might rattle, get damaged or even cause damage? DO IT RIGHT - get PriusXM

- We were the first to offer the Integrated XM solution, and we can ALWAYS get them. Some other solutions are "back-ordered" - whatever that means. In fact, we have 3 kits in stock as of this post.

- Support innovation and competition - buy from the source that brought you XM for the Prius first and plans to bring you other great kits for the Prius.

- Support a PriusChat sponsor.

Buy one NOW at http://www.priusxm.com/

-Jon

----
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jon,
    Is the PriusChat price $460? If not, please post the price and what we need to do to get that price.

3. Jon

Jon New Member

The PriusChat discount is $10 off. $489. Just mention PriusChat in the order form.

You gonna buy one, Evan?

---
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got my annual bonus and am seriously considering it...Hard to convince my wife since I have a perfectly functional XM system in the car already...but dang I want that integrated one....

5. frbill

frbill New Member

As one of Jon's customers I have to agree the integrated system is the best. Other systems work just as well but there is something nice about not having any external wiring in the cabin of the car. Also the use of the steering controls is sweet.

I also have an iPOD and must say that the lack of an integrated solution for it means it has been used much less than my XM as I really don't want to have wires showing. I use a cassette adapter for it and it works well enough but When someone figures out the integrated I will be very happy to leave my iPOD hidden away.

Again the integrated XM solution that I got from Jon works great!

Peace,

Fr. Bill

6. KathyY

KathyY Member

I have Jon's system in my car and it is great! I don't even think of it as an add-on--it is just part of the whole thing. The voice activation works with it to--I just say "Sat 1 or 2 or 3" and it goes to that band. I drove up and had Jon install it. When he was finished the car looked the same except for the antenna which I don't even notice now.

7. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that's a great system for those who want XM in their Prius, but it looks like the exact same solution for which Coastal Dave charges much less $$$. And Coastal Etech is an all-around Prius guru that knows the whole car very well, and who everyone has trusted for years.

http://www.coastaletech.com/xm_radio_in_prius.htm
    says $410

Ok - I did some homework. This is apparently a standard XM product that fits all Toyota products that are preconfigured for it. The software and wiring are already in most new high-$$ cars - including the Prius. From what I've seen, you pull the panel, mount the radio, plug it into the receptacle that is *already there*, run the lead to the magnetically-affixed outboard antenna, and that's it. No rocket science, no skill beyond installing a video card in your computer. If you put this in your car and it *doesn't* work as though it were factory-installed, you should be ashamed of yourself! Neither of these vendors designed or built any part of the kit - they're reselling it. So why the huge price difference?

And no, I don't have an XM radio (I'm deaf) and don't work for or against either of these vendors. I want to trust PriusChat, and want to believe that any product promoted here is automatically a "good deal", but this one definitely is not. A special super $10 PriusChat discount brings it down to $489?

Bull!

8. jtmahoney

jtmahoney Junior Member

Priusxm is without flaw

I had Jon install the priusxm radio in my new prius. Everything about it is perfect. You would never know that this was not factory installed equipment. People like Jon are the veritable pioneers for Prius owners. He deserves our support.

Jim Mahoney

9. KathyY

KathyY Member

I chose Jon's over Coastal Dave's because I could easily drive up to NJ and have Jon install it. I frequently drive up the Turnpike to visit my parents. I was not comfortable taking my car apart and neither was my husband. I offered to pay my son-in-law to do it but he didn't want to hurt my new car--I know he would have done it if it was his car. I didn't get Jon's DVD for the install but everyone says it is great and makes the job easy.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are some differences, but the devil is in the details:

Jon includeds a mounting bracket that Coastal Dave does not. Jon includes some kind of adhesive or something to better affix the antenna (marginal value if any IMO). And the big thing he touts, and others have applauded for it's utility is a detailed DVD/video demonstrating every step of the process. Jon established PriusXM as a for profit company, it is his only product, currently, so he's got a mark-up on it to make a profit on his resale. Jon is a PC sponsorer, and Dave chose not to.

Dave is selling the kits pretty much for cost, as it comes from his supplier with only the addition of some printed installation instructions.

Although most of the points you make are true, the install is probably a bit more complex than you assume. Since the main unit is installed in the rear/cargo area of the Prius wires must be run under the trim to get to the head unit. Also, the dash pieces must be pulled off (maybe--I think Dave's instructions have you just grope around behind the dash from underneath to fit the plug in the proper receptical. The antenna wire needs also be hidden under the trim as well.

No, it's not nuclear (or nookluyer) science, but for someone not experienced it could be a tricky and difficult install.

I honestly don't know which solution I'd choose at this point. Honestly I, too, probably lean toward saving almost $100 and getting Dave's, if it's available, and be prepared to struggle with some of the finer points....but I like struggling, it helps me learn and it's a good use of time. I also have pulled many of the pieces off of the dash myself already with my other mods so I'm not as intimidated by that.

But, I wouldn't put down Jon. He's been very dedicated and forthright with this board. He has a very nice site and has had a great reputation (as does Dave). Dave is a Prius guy to the core and I support him for that. I think it's a personal decision based on how valuable the 'extras' you get from Jon are and how much of a do it yourselfer one is.

11. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jon is surely a good guy doing a good job - I hope more companies enter the Prius aftermarket.

My objection is to the PriusChat endorsement that this is a "good deal" - a $10 group discount on what I perceived as an inflated price. When PC endorsed the windowshade I ordered instantly - confident it was a "good deal". And if I were in the market for XM, I would want to have the same confidence in PC's endorsement.

As to installation, if someone doesn't want to do the work, and lives near Jon or Coastal, that's the thing to do. And for the geographically inconvenient, I found that Coastal posted the Toyota/Pioneer part number on Yahoo - PT546-06040 - so perhaps any Toyota dealer can do the job (...but at what price?).

12. rflagg

rflagg Member

I went with Jon's kit for a number of reasons - the DVD is an added bonus that really helps, especially if you have a laptop and are doing it yourself. And, it's not as simple as just plugging in a few cables - you have to tear apart the whole front dash, keep the wiring all the way down to the back of the car to where the antenna mounts, mount the sat. reciever box, mount the antenna, etc. It may be "simple for anyone" - however, breaking down your hard earned Prius is more of overcoming an emotional block of not wanting to mess up the car.

The number one reason I went with Jon's kit - they were available. At that time, Coastal Dave was on backorder and it was months wait time. I haven't heard from anyone who's gone with Coastal Dave's kit, and no offense to him, but he's been saying since the beginning of January that the Video/Audio kits are coming "soon", so my suggestion is that if you want the real thing and want it now, the extra $70 is worth it.

-m.

13. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Same situation here. Jon had them in stock when Dave was back-ordered. The system is flawless and the video was a life saver. If anyone does decide to go with Dave's version for the cost savings, then I still highly recommend buying Jon's DVD separately (I'd hate to see Jon lose out completely).

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Moving this to the appropriate forum & wanted to clarify a few points brought up concerning PC & our relation with sponsors/vendors:

PriusChat has no control over what our sponsors charge, nor is it a requirement of PC sponsors to provide a discount. ToyotaPartsStore.com does not provide a specific PC member discount, but they are a sponsor that was chosen based on their assortment of Prius-related accessories.

Many companies/dealerships get free advertising everyday on this site by plugs from our members. The $$$ that equates to is quite large when you have 5,000 unique people on this site everyday. Many sites such as www.avsforum.com do not even allow linking or discussion of pricing for items that are not available through their sponsors.

All I'm trying to say is that Jon provides a quality product, supports the Prius community through his involvement, and has made available a package that an individual who has never even opened up his/her computer could install.

Yes, he prices the product so that he makes a profit off of his venture, but you also have to realize that probably 80% of the products on CoastalDave's site are close to 100% profit after R&D.

Just my $0.02.

15. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I too have Jon's XM integrated solution installed in my Prius. I actually ordered it several weeks prior to taking delivery of my car which gave me more than several opportunities to become familiar with my car even before I took delivery! Thanks to Jon's included DVD, I did the installation myself and it turned out perfect! Thanks Jon! :)

16. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A local Toyota dealer says that part number PT546-06040 is a complete kit with instructions, at $480.68 retail, and installation is "about $100". That dealer has never put the XM radio into a Prius, and the job is not in the book, so they'll charge by the hour at a litigator's rate.

UPDATE:
    Dealer called back to say they looked at the instructions and "installation will be $70, so it's $551 complete."

I'm positive that Jon's DVD in real time makes an easy job trivial, but fair is fair. Coastal Kelley says their kit comes with a CD and photographs, and the things I've seen from them have been accompanied by great tutorials.

Enough on this.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think that's quite true Danny....at leat not the 100% part that obviously was an exageration, but probably too extreme of one. Dave makes available the Prius XM system for his cost (so he claimed, there may be a buck or two added for the instructions, but obviously it's not much of a profit, if any). The hitch system he sells certainly isn't free to construct...he probably pays a contractor for that. The CC EV mod certainly IS a high profit item, but the circuit is not free and involves time on someone's part to make. Also, as shown by his initial failures, the cheapest parts don't work.

Also, let's not take his R&D for granted...nor his personal time spent with his customers and others. He fields, literally, hundreds of calls and e-mails a week which he responds to and supplies valuable information for free. He provided the information on the Cigarette lighter mod for free with nice pictures and exactly how to do it yourself...or hell send you a simple kit with maybe $2 in parts that he's already put together for $10.

His dedication to the Prius community is very valuable and deserves consideration as well. The amount of time he does on R&D is also valuable and he deserves to profit. Jon's R&D was zilch, he just happened on a discovery of a system that anyone can get, made a DVD and a nice marketing effort. And that's fine, and his customers are happy, and that's great, but don't slight Dave for his, IMO, much more valuable contributions.

I know he was actually scared away from Priuschat in large part b/c he felt pressured to pay to mention his products here. If you recall he RARELY did anything anyone could call advertising (do a search, see what you find), but provided a LOT of free information about what he was working on, how he got it to work and how you could do various mods yourself. He freely answered questions and contributed time to the community.

I know, Danny, that you're trying to keep PC viable and even a little profitable, but Dave felt slighted for his free contributions. I can't really blame him too much and feel we lost a very valuable asset. He no longer feels welcome to contribute here for fear of being accused of advertising for free while others pay. What has Jon contributed here besides a little information available elsewhere and his advertising $$?

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Evan -

I'll respond to your post in the staff forum.

I don't think my stance is being understood.

Danny

19. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

Would something like this work for Sirius as well?

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are FM modulated solutions for Sirius, but nothing integrated.