1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The case for model 3

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tugga, May 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, I am skeptical of the posts in this thread quoting low insurance premium costs. Many people quote an insurance premium without context, that is not saying what their actual coverage breadth is or the deductible. As we’ve seen on other threads some PC people don’t even carry comprehensive coverage when the cat is stolen or collision on their old Prius’s just mandatory liability. Insurance companies won’t insure a new $40,000 car for anything near what they insure a $10,000 used car for.

A Tesla has not only a high purchase price but it’s repair costs are sky high because of the way it’s made and parts availability. Therefore the comprehensive and collision coverages will be expensive.

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I search for my first BEV to replace my PP, I have been considering Toyota, Subaru, VW, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, and even a Ford. But the most obvious choice Tesla is not on my list. Yeah, the high initial purchase price is one of the reasons. But for me, Tesla is a total deal-breaker since there is no Tesla service center (or sales shop) in my state. If the car can not be serviced locally, then I would have to tow the car to the nearest service center over 400 miles two states away. I doubt Tesla will be paying for the towing cost if a new car needs some warranty repair or recall.:(

#22 Salamander_King, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla has remote service set up which is very robust, I doubt your assumptions are correct.
    That said, I know there are many other reasons for you to want another brand. Just noting that particular one is worth looking into if it were the only sticking point.

4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the remote service free? And if they are charging, what is the cost? I can't imagine Tesla would absorb the cost entirely. And even if they can send out someone to my driveway to do a minor repair, there must be a limit to what they can do at a remote location without sophisticated equipment found in their service centers. So, what happens if they come out and diagnose, and can't fix it on my driveway, it needs to be towed to MA ~400 miles. Who is going to pay for the cost?

#24 Salamander_King, Jun 2, 2022
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If “you can’t imagine” that it would be free, does it do any good for me to tell you it is?
    This was years ago, so I don’t know if it is still the case… I once required a tow to a Tesla shop about 120 miles away. Tesla picked up the tab. It was for work covered under warrantee.

I’ve used remote service myself, and you are correct, there are limits. But in an electric car, there aren’t many.
    Body work would be the big one that comes to mind. Alignments would be another I would think.

That being said, you have other reasons a Tesla wouldn’t work for you, so I simply say this to correct assumptions you are making, so others aren’t mislead.
    If this was the only sticking point, I would suggest contacting Tesla to get the real info rather than making assumptions.

#25 Zythryn, Jun 2, 2022
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the lack of a service center is not the only reason that Tesla is not making a cut for me, but since you mentioned it... I checked it out myself on the Tesla website. Not surprisingly, there is no information as to the cost of the service. I tried to contact them via their "Contact" page Contact Us | Tesla. But, their Submit a question or comment is for topics related to only either Ordering a Tesla Powerwall or Solar Roof and Becoming a Tesla Energy Products Certified Installer. There is no easy way to contact them about pre-purchase vehicle concerns. I ended up emailing one of the closest service centers in MA (~400miles away). I will see if my questions get answered.

I guess, maybe, for a warranty or recall services, Tesla is willing to absorb the cost incurred to the owner due to the unavailability of the nearby service center, but I still wonder how much it would cost to get the car serviced/repaired (not the actual cost of the service itself, but just the cost of getting to or having someone coming to service the car). For many people living in a remote area away from their service centers, how and where to get a car serviced and how much it will cost is a big concern not only for Tesla but for any make of car.

BTW, I also checked their mobile-service info page:
    Mobile Service Support | Tesla

One clause caught my attention...
    If temperatures reach below 40F/5C degrees or above 105F/40C degrees, we ask that you provide a garage or shelter access so the technician can complete the repair.
    Yeah, that is a very reasonable thing to ask... but it would make mobile service no service for most of our region during winter unless one can afford a heated garage at their residence to work on the car. Certainly, I don't have one to provide. LOL

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: The nearest Tesla Service Center to me responded to my inquiry in timely manner and answered most of my questions. Unfortunately, the answers provided by them are what my assumption was which was that Tesla would incur a large cost for any services to be performed by them due to the lack of service center near me.

Here is the excerpt of the response:

As a general rule, it is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle to make the vehicle available to service to address any concerns warrantable or otherwise. So we would encourage you to plan to bring the vehicle in for any service appointment. Some customers choose to pay to have their vehicle towed to the service center for convenience.
    Basically they are saying that it is the owner's responsibility to bring the car to them for any service. Furthermore, they addressed the mobile service capability, and was determined that my area would be too far away for the mobile service. I would have to bring the car quite far south near them to have it serviced by their Mobile Service team making it not very practical.

And parts can be ordered directly from our website or this could be performed by our Mobile Service Team. Although we do have Mobile Service in Maine, due to the shear distance Mobile Service may not be available in your area.

#27 Salamander_King, Jun 2, 2022
  8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I applaud you for looking into that, especially since you aren't considering a Tesla!
    The 400 miles may just be too much for them now-a-days.

One note, you noted the need for a heated garage. What you quoted from Tesla, and in my own experience, does not indicate the need for a heated garage, just shelter.
    Any techs I have had out at my house have never had any issues working in an unheated garage.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's good to know. Of course, in my case, I would have to make room inside of garage/barn first to accommodate their needs. But as far as the mobile service goes, if there are any technicians (not restricting to Tesla) who would come out and are willing to work on our cars in the unheated garage in the middle of winter, then they deserve to be paid twice the labor cost a typical dealer would charge... That would be ~$220/hr. Unfortunately, then I would not be able to afford the cost of service for our cars.

10. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have to make accommodations for service? So who works for whom? Virtue Signaling, Tesla buyers make up all kinds of excuses as to why their cars are so great.
    Musk is a marketing genius.

The new Toyota Corolla hybrid looks like a great alternative to a Prius.

11. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is for Corolla Cross Hybrid, then the MPG numbers: 37 mpg combined doesn't seem to be a good alternative to a Prius.

13. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    MPG is but one factor

14. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On insurance. I have a 2018 Model 3 and a 2012 Prius plugin. The Model 3 insurance is ~25% higher, (same coverage) and the car's price was almost double.
    As for maintenance costs on the two cars, the Prius is much higher. The only maintenance on the Model 3 has been washer fluid and repair of a flat tire (freak allen wrench in the road). Tesla came to my home and gave me a free loaner tire within an hour. Since it was not repairable I could have bought my own tire anywhere but chose to have them bring one to my home and replace it and collect the loaner. I also needed a warranty replacement of the charge port motor (still worked manually) and they came to my home and fixed it for free.

Let me tell you how the flat tire service went. I opened the Tesla app on my phone, went to roadside assistance and said I had a flat. Within about 3 minutes I got a phone call:
    I see your car is at XXX address, are you safe? It is after hours so we can just send a truck with a loaner. You fix or replace the tire and return the loaner in a few days. Your wheel size is ZZZ, tire is a XXX size YYY, do you want this? Yes. It will arrive in about 30-45 min. I got a text in about 30 min saying the truck is 5 min away. Fixed in about 10 min.

Mike

Zythryn likes this.
  15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems apples and oranges to compare an in warranty Tesla and a long out of warranty, ten year old Prius. The price of the Tesla and the increased insurance costs would offset a lot of maintenance costs on a Prius.

16. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As soon as I do my first oil change on the Model 3 I'll report how much it costs.
    Certainly the Model 3's purchase price was much more. But then the specs of the Prius can't compare either, in terms of things like 0-60 mph time, seat comfort, free OTA updates and total feature set.

Mike

17. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My Lexus is much nicer than my Prius too.

18. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A great article in today’s Wall Street Journal on the desirability of EVs
    Here’s a short excerpt
    I Rented an Electric Car for a Four-Day Road Trip. I Spent More Time Charging It Than I Did Sleeping.
    Our writer drove from New Orleans to Chicago and back to test the feasibility of taking a road trip in an EV. She wouldn’t soon do it again.

19. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oil change on Prius at the dealer costs me $32 so that’s not an issue.
    I’ve never had a problem with my Prius’s 0 to 60 mph time.
    The leather seats on my 2007 Prius are quite comfortable.
    Free OTA updates are not really free, they’re accounted for in your expensive car purchase price which I guess is part of what you get in a full feature set.
    I guess you’ll get rid of the Tesla before the battery needs replacement.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All in, with taxes? That includes a tire rotation as well? The oil alone costs close to that, retail, oil filters and drain bolt washers don't grow on trees.