1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Chevrolet Volt.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Syclone, Jan 7, 2007.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Jan 8 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]372476[/snapback]</div>
    What are the GM hybrid diesel buses that we now see in airport and national parks?

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]372597[/snapback]</div>
    Too bad Saturn's L-series left that bad taste in so many people's mouths. The Fusion is a nice car, I rode in one last week, impressive. Ford seems to be "getting it".

3. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]372597[/snapback]</div>
    So just what is a red blooded American to do? I looked at the Impala and was not impressed with the layout inside. It was not roomy and reminded me of Grandpap's old car. After adjusting the seat to be comfortable for my 6'2 250lb frame I them tried to sit in the back seat. My feet would not fit between the front and rear seat! Fuel economy was nowhere near what I wanted. GM reliablility is not up to Toyota standards. It is the job of the management team to run the company and set it in the right direction. Ramping up production of SUVs and trucks, cutting prices to insure sales, while this nation has yet to come to grips with our energy problems. GM does not share my ideals.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Jan 8 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]372668[/snapback]</div>
    And you fit well in a Prius?

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]372677[/snapback]</div>
    The US government classifies the Prius not as "compact", but "mid-sized". It has a lot of interior room for a car that size.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 8 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]372681[/snapback]</div>
    It does not have more interior space than an Impala. I just checked.

7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    malorn - this was your original question:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]372602[/snapback]</div>
    This reply is not relavant to that question
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]372685[/snapback]</div>
    Again, your original quesion was if a Prius was "roomy enough" - not roomier than an Impala.

There is a GM apologist at GreenHybrid named martinjlm - he is a GM engineer. While there are some issues I will not agree with him on, I highly respect that he makes his defense without dodging the original question, or get get the discussion heated.

He is a good example to follow concering discussions.

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It does sound roomy. Here is the Edmunds summary:

Not sure how this got into a Prius vs. Impala thread. For most of the folks driving Prii, something like an Impala was probably not on the radar at all.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 8 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]372689[/snapback]</div>
    I have not dodged any questions on here, but if you ae looking for another GM apologist you better look elsewhere.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 8 2007, 03:46 PM) [snapback]372691[/snapback]</div>
    You are right. What I found stumping wa the quote"GM does not fit my ideals?" What does that mean? Does anyone on here really think that Toyota is any more altruistic in its behavior than GM or Ford? I guess he summed up my fascination/frustration with many of the folks on PC. I think many of you actually believe those toyota ads.

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]372692[/snapback]</div>
    You shift on practically many posts - not credible. Lawyers know better - they lose their case if they can't stick to their guns.

It would also be helpful to you case to avoid bait - just like martinjlm at www.greenhybrid.com. You would be brilliant to get him to join this thread.

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 8 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]372696[/snapback]</div>
    I shift? How. I think I have been extremely consistent during my 15+ months of posting. I will take the bait. I am obviously very passionate about this for a number of reasons.

12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take the high road and get in touch with martinjlm - he presents himself very well.

I'm giving you an opportunity to advance your case.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TechLite @ Jan 7 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]371975[/snapback]</div>
    Also sounds a lot like a locomotive.

Wasn't GM responsible for introducing Diesel locomotives in the 40's-50's?

These were basically electricity generating plants on wheels, right...?

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Jan 7 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]372020[/snapback]</div>
    I made the huge mistake of special-ordering a very expensive 2000 GMC Sierra SLT extended cab sportside box 4x4 to tow a 6,800 lb camper. Starting from day one:

-The parking brake pedal return spring went SPROING and broke the very first time I used it. Had to reach down and lift the damn thing up, waited 4 months for a replacement assembly.

- One week later, backed out of my garage - I had a house then - and there was a puddle of gear oil on the floor. The rear axle pinion seal had a heavy leak. That American Axle & Manufacturing rear axle gave me a lot of trouble. The Eaton made G80 started chattering about a year later, despite dealer-recommended servicing.

- The "drum in hat" parking brakes needed adjusting every 6-8 months or they wouldn't hold. Dealer blamed me, claimed the parking brake wasn't meant to be used all the time. They failed just out of warranty around $600.

- The AutoTrac mode select assembly was replaced twice under warranty, once off warranty. Left me stranded a couple of times at my cabin. Seems the truck reverts to 2wd operation if there is an error in that mode select switch assembly. It also displays "SERVICE 4WD" in scary amber letters in the DIC.

- My Vortec 5.3 made knocking noises starting around 5,000km, and started burning oil. The General's response to that? It's "normal" for a gas motor to knock like an old Detroit Diesel two-stroke, and it's also "normal" to burn one litre every 1,000km.

I'm GM's worst nightmare, a VERY disgruntled customer. It didn't help matters my GM dealer manager and service writer were complete dickheads.

The GM CEO, and the entire board of directors, should be strung up by disgruntled shareholders and employees.

But I digress ...

If the Volta is "real" I'd probably buy one. Just not from the dickhead GM dealer that sold me my POS 2000 GMC Sierra.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 8 2007, 08:07 PM) [snapback]372797[/snapback]</div>
    Amen. My Prius isn't perfect but the dealer and Toyota owned up and fixed the problem. The difference is ATTITUDE.

16. Topgas

Topgas New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]372449[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you've never heard of the Olds diesel in the late 70's or the Pinto's that burned people alive from rear enders or the 03 and on 6.0 Ford diesels. The list goes on and on. And the nerve of these CEO's being paid millions while they mismanage the hell out of these companies. I can hear them now, "Let them eat cake".

17. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]372677[/snapback]</div>
    Are you from the upper management of GM? The Prius makes great use of cabin space to give the front and back passengers room. The head room while sitting in the back , with the front seat all the way back, is ok. Leg room is fine, the test is passed. Great job Toyota. GM?

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Jan 8 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]372866[/snapback]</div>
    Oh come on! What bull! I'm 6'1 and any adult (non midget adult) who sits behind me in my Prius ends up giving me a kidney massage.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 8 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]372703[/snapback]</div>
    Correct! GM's ElectroMotive Division was building Diesel-electric hybrid vehicles (but without traction batteries) some seventy years ago.

Anyone know why they want to use Li-ion batteries and not NiMH?

Vote For Volt at http://tinyurl.com/yy795t

20. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 8 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]372692[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius is a tool. The right tool for the job. I did not look at advertising to make my mind up on what car to buy. I looked at Fuel milage, quality, room, and overall design. Perhaps if the real Volt is ever produced, GM will do the same. I am not a Hero, but I am not a Poser either.