1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Chevy Volt and "Strong" Looks

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by boulder_bum, Oct 27, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BORNGEARHEAD @ Oct 28 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]531788[/snapback]</div>
    Some of us know it. But remember what P.T. Barnum said: There's a sucker born every minute.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Oct 28 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]531791[/snapback]</div>
    My Zap Xebra does better. And there are Xebras on dealer lots now, for sale and ready to drive away in. It goes 40 mph and from 15 to 45 miles, depending on what battery pack you put in it, how hard you drive it, and terrain.

I'm actually surprised they didn't put a big enough motor in that Volt to at least get it to go a decent speed without making such a gawdawful whine. But come to think of it, that's probably GM's strategy: They marketed the EV-1 by stressing that it could not go very far. They're going to make sure that everyone thinks the Volt is a 5-mph car that makes awful noises, just to be sure that nobody actually wants to buy it. Then they can say, "See? We tried again. But nobody wants to buy an electric car!"

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I really didn't care what the Prius looked like, I just liked the new technology and saved gasoline. If the Volt lives up to GM's promise then I guess I won't mind that ugly design. The Prius looks cool but the Volt looks like a Motown retro look and I can't say that it would appeal to me if it was just another gas-only model. By the time that GM gets the Volt on to dealer lots, I may be looking at an EV conversion for my Prius anyway but ya never know.

3. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It doesn't exist, so i don't really care.

It is too puffy and aggressive looking, Like a Midlife Crisis Car.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 31 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]533152[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius is so elegantly designed to use the ICE and the electrical system together that it is probably the worst choice to convert to an EV.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, the Prius is *my* midlife crisis car!
    _H*

6. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 27 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]531362[/snapback]</div>
    Godiva, actually the engine is up front near the electric motor. That thing in the back must be a muffler or some such.

From Edmonds there is this article, dated 1-7-07 by Michelle Krebs:

“The specs for triple-digit fuel economy:
    The Volt features a front-mounted electric motor that generates 120 kilowatts of power (160 horsepower) and 236 pound-feet of torque. Lithium-ion batteries are housed beneath the Volt's floor. Also onboard is a 53-kilowatt electric generator. The turbocharged, 1.0-liter three-cylinder gasoline engine also fits up front, while the 12-gallon fuel tank is in the rear.†as 2- 6 gals.

The show car was put together ASAP for the 07 International Detroit Auto Show. GM readily admits that the Volt is not ready for prime time, given battery technology at that time. But they built the show car to show that they have a car that can be ready when the battery finally becomes available. Full Volt production is targeted for late 2010, a time frame that Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has repeated several times. I’ve not heard 2009.