1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The code is P0A80- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blend123, Aug 23, 2021.

1. blend123

blend123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    An update from a previous post. The code, P0A80- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack, came up, so I replaced the hybrid battery with a used one (2011 Prius with approximately 86k miles). I bought the car with 203,000 miles. The hybrid battery warning light went away, but came back. No new codes came up. Also, when the car is on parking, the car does not turn off (the engine turns on, then the hybrid battery takes over). However, when driving, the car turns off after a like 10 minutes. Does that mean that the used hybrid battery is not good? Bad inverter? Do I have to update something? I have also replaced the inverter pump.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you say "no new codes came up", does that mean you have read the same code you had before, P0A80? Or does it mean the code reader you are using hasn't shown you any codes at all for this appearance of the warning light?

To be clear, there isn't a "hybrid battery warning light". If you are seeing a triangle-exclamation-point light, that thing is called the "master warning light" and comes on for a couple hundred different reasons. There are trouble codes if it comes on, but not all scan tools will show them. Naturally, the best way to answer that "oh, why is it on again this time?" question is to find out what the codes are this time.

3. blend123

blend123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the same code appears- P0A80. Yes, the light (car with exclamation point) comes on, which the prius manual calls it "hybrid battery warning light.

What scan tools work to read the hybrid battery codes?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is slightly confusing; your post #1 mentions a 2011 Prius, and your profile mentions a 2012 Prius v wagon.

Are you talking about this light that exists in a 2011 Prius and is called this in the 2011 Prius owner's manual?

mwl.png

Or are you talking about this light that exists in a 2012 Prius v and is called this in the 2012 Prius v manual?

hswl.png

Though the shape changed and the name changed slightly, you can see that neither one is specifically a hybrid "battery" warning light. The light will come on to tell you about any warning condition affecting the car's hybrid system, which includes the battery, multiple ECUs, the inverter and transaxle, network communications to the engine and brake controllers, even the air conditioner. It's not an exaggeration that if you look in the Repair Manual for the tables of issues for which that light "comes on", you easily count over two hundred in the table for the power management ECU alone ... and dozens of issues detected by other ECUs can also light it.

That's why I often work at talking people out of seeing that light come on and trying to guess the reason, like they're counting a few possibilities off on their fingers. The most sensible thing to do is ask the car why the light is on.

The scan tool that is most known to Just Work is the Toyota Techstream software on a beater Windows laptop. There are, however, other options that get discussed in these forums that are also capable of reading the codes that some generic scan tools miss. The key thing is not to be fooled into thinking there are no codes, when a particular scan tool isn't showing them even though warnings are on.

In your case, if the code that has returned is P0A80, then the current issue you are dealing with is likely to be that the used battery just installed is not in great condition. Maybe not the greatest news, but still better to know than to be stressing over the whole panoply of different issues you might have read about on PriusChat.

Edit: I re-read the post, the car you're working on is the 2012 v, the 2011 liftback was the battery donor, is that right?

5. blend123

blend123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have a 2012 Prius V but the used hybrid battery came from a 2011 Prius.
    What is interesting is that the car does not turn off when on parking.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you parked with a/c running?

#6 bisco, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's not inconsistent with the trouble code you have.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do you hear the hybrid battery fan running loudly too in this scenario.

A P0A80 code typically has sub-codes that many generic readers can't see.

9. blend123

blend123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I have the car on parking and the AC running. It doesn’t not turn off.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's probably normal, just too much energy consumption in the LA heat

11. blend123

blend123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

12. priusfan3000

priusfan3000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    When a prius does not power off, you hold the power button for 6 seconds and it shuts off.