1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Correct Bulb for Passenger Headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by carstuff, Sep 28, 2020.

1. carstuff

carstuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2007 Base model Prius. My car has 130,000 miles on it, and I purchased it used with 70,000 miles 5 years ago. I've never had to replace a headlight in that time. My passenger side headlight bulb (not the high beam) recently went out and I'm looking to replace it myself, but I'm a little confused by the information I've found here–– as well as within my owners manual.

In the owners manual it says:
    Headlights
    Discharge headlights –– 35 –– D2R Discharge bulbs
    Halogen headlights –– 60/55 –– HB2 Halogen bulbs

Am I correct in believing that this manual was written for Prius' with HID bulbs, and Halogen, and mine only has halogen bulbs? In which case I should just go to a local car parts place and pick up a HB2 halogen bulb. I'm also not too concerned about bulb brightness, but would instead like a bulb that lasts as long as (I'm assuming) the OEM bulbs that were in this car. Any recommendations on bulbs to buy, or stay away from? Should I buy a two pack and just replace both while I'm in there?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take the old bulb out and bring it with you to a dealer. ask which it is and get a price.

then go to a parts store and do the same. see what alternatives they have.

alternatively, sign up at toyota.com/owners, enter your vin, and see if it tells you which headlights.

yeah, get a two pack. they are available on line as well.

3. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have halogen, I got the Hella 9003LL extended life bulbs from RockAuto.
    2008 TOYOTA PRIUS 1.5L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS Headlamp Bulb | RockAuto
    They're $2.73/piece plus shipping, and if you can find some other cheap maintenance parts while you're at it, shipping will be negligible for all of it, and you get extended-life bulbs out of it.

Also, do replace both bulbs. Otherwise you'll have two very different brightnesses, and you'll just have to replace the other one soon too. Seriously, for $2.73, why not? Improve your safety while you're at it.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the price on the bulb from RockAuto.

But disagree about replacing them both at the same time.. my rig, the passenger side blew out and I replaced with the Napa 9003.....a year later the SAME passenger side blew out again.....almost to the day -- one year.

Then I replaced with a Sylvania 9003. Driver's side died about two years later -- a long time after passenger side's first death. Replaced with Sylvania again (they were $9 each).

Never noticed significant difference in brightness between the two and I checked.

It's a PITA to replace them, I have to remove the bumper cover -- partially -- my big man hands don't fit. Some folks can do the job without messing withe bumper cover --if you can, my congrats!

You can usually save a buck or two on shipping thru RockAuto if you have orders shipped to a business address.
    kris

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    having changed my bulbs multiple times the best bulb to buy that lasts the longest is the factory oem bulb from the dealer.
    Buy online like Olathe Toyota.

At 130,000 miles all the bulbs should be replaced. Rears are easy.

The Sylvania's you can buy at the parts store are super bright with short life. When you replace the bulbs look closely at the socket to see if its burned up or not.

Best way to replace the bulbs is to pull the top of the bumper down enough to get the entire headlight assy out. It requires a few bolts removed. I can do mine in about 5 minutes.

M in KC, carstuff and cyberpriusII like this.