1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The cost of ChargePoint charging - worth it?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by DerekR, Oct 7, 2017.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Create an account via the app, then use NFC on your phone to unlock the charger. Waiting for a card isn't necessary.

#81 john1701a, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't read his post. Says he doesn't own a smartphone.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A tablet with nearby Wi-Fi (or a hotspot) would work too. Otherwise, just call the number on the charger. I have done that. They're customer service is really nice. There is also the option of asking the owner/office to unlock it for you.

#83 john1701a, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  4. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You don't need a ChargePoint account or a smart phone. You can use ChargePoint with a credit or debit card which has RFID capabilities -- which is not the same thing as the "chip". Look for a card with a WiFi-like symbol printed on the card.

RFID-credit-card.jpg

The first time I used ChargePoint, I did not have the complementary ChargePoint card with me but had no problem using my bank's ATM debit card with the RFID symbol on it. (My other credit cards without the symbol do not work.)

The ChargePoint station was one that is free at a municipal parking lot. I was not billed for any cost.

ChargePoint stations display their rates when you activate them with your card. They do not begin any billable transaction until you actually plug in your car, so if the rates shown are unacceptable to you, just don't remove the cable from the station and go park somewhere else so someone who wants to use the station can.

Please note that ChargePoint rates are set by the owner of the property where the ChargePoint station is located. Some landlords or merchants offer the service for free. Others charge a rate per kWh. Some have a time surcharge if you leave your car at the charging station too long so that others can't use it.

markabele likes this.
  5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Odd. When I go to the Chargepoint web site and click on the SignUp button, I get a form to fill in to create an account. FWIW, the URL is

ChargePoint

After you create the account, they will send you an RFID card that you can use to unlock the handle and start charging. You don't need a smartphone app.

#85 CharlesH, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Jon Cryer likes this.