1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The cost of charging

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by R. Barre, Mar 10, 2015.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your numbers are much lower than I've calculated. I've measured about 90% for L2 and 85-86% for L1 charging.
    I did this by driving only in EV for a couple of weeks (except a short ICE warmup after 124 miles). I recorded the kwh for each charge and compared to the kwh consumed reported on the dash.

Mike

2. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My salmon have never been much good at powering my home or providing much other benefit to me. I'll take the power and leave the salmon issue up to the fish hatcheries.

I need to calculate my figures again for L1 charging. My estimate is based on initial numbers which could have a larger margin of error. I'm L2 charging now and have no means to measure efficiency.

#22 Redpoint5, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I have never looked on line - and don't even know if SCE provides such a comprehensive breakdown, but I will look, when I get a chance. The only thing I've studied is the monthly paper bill which shows the entire month as a break even month - or a month where we generate more than we use, or a month where we use more grid power than we generate ... the latter 2 scenarios are then illustrated as average daily surplus or average daily drawn from the grid - like so;

[​IMG]
    You can tell we run a lot of Christmas lights during the 3 shortest months of the year
    :)

markabele and Redpoint5 like this.