1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The countdown to 200K cars

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Jun 28, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Attached is a chart showing the various automakers and their expiry date for reaching 200K qualifying cars. It will be interesting to see what might Congress might do at the end of the year to protect US automakers Tesla and GM in light of the current administration's proposed tariffs to protect US manufacturing.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be very surprised if Tesla doesn't hit that 200,000 number before July 1st.
    I know a lot of people are expecting Tesla to manage their deliveries to not deliver that until July, but I just don't see it happening.
    I have seen a lot of deliveries here in MN just this month.

3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We'll know in a few more days.

Regarding what Congress might do about the tax credit at the end of this year, I have three scenarios:

(the more likely scenario in my opinion)
    Republicans maintain control of both houses in Congress. The Federal tax credit will be eliminated for all car makers on January 1, 2019. Tesla customers will have taken full advantage of the maximum tax credit and GM close to it. Ford, German, and Japanese makers will not get a $7500 advantage over Tesla and GM in the future.

(the less likely scenario in my opinion)
    Democrats gain control of one house or the other. Complete gridlock, worse than we have now. The outcome regarding tax credit is too difficult to opine.

(the least likely scenario in my opinion)
    Democrats gain control of both houses in Congress. The Federal tax credit for Tesla, GM, Ford will be extended to 300K qualifying cars and German/Japanese production expiry will be cut to just 100k cars which results in almost revenue neutral.

It is just my guess.