1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Courier CT hits 300,000 miles

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by Raidin, May 9, 2017.

1. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #21 Raidin, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beautiful car! Your car give me hope for my 2012 v 5 wagon. I do all of my own maintenance and am very OCD about it. My car just recently started using oil now at 110,000 miles. I change my oil and filter with best quality synthetic oil every 5k.

Actually kinda bummed :( I didn't expect it to become a oil burner till somewhere around 200k miles. Wish I had your luck!

3. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hehehe, it's ok. I'm sure the mods will take care of it.

Up to 80k miles, I was changing the oil every 5k miles. Cost so much. After that I switched to 10k miles OCIs. I started doing oil testing and was able to push to 26k and will be doing 28k next. I'm not sure why yours burns oil, but it may be age (where seals start to wear out).

I don't know if my regiment has anything to do with it, but on top of that, I also drive with cruise on mostly on the highway, so I rarely stress the engine. I try to be gentle on my car so it will go as far as possible.

Have you had someone look at the oil burning problem?

4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting, I'm so paranoid I let the engine start and run for 10 seconds before I even pull away in the morning, and I check the oil level every 3 days! The reason why, we have 4 other Prii in the family not counting mine that all use oil. They are all maintained well, but still burn oil.

I drive gently and for fuel economy. I've even wanted my money in the past on engine flushes! I'm just disappointed. It's had a perfect life!

Adding oil isn't a big deal, oil consumption usually leads to other things down the line. And a engine at 100k should not consume oil if it's Japanese :)

5. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's strange. As far as I know, my previous Prius C also didn't burn oil, and is currently at 150k. I wonder if there's some common factor related to your cars or area.

It is a good idea to wait a few seconds after starting the car up, as it gives the engine time to get the oil flowing. Warming up isn't necessary before driving off with modern cars at least.

6. JoePriusPrime

JoePriusPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey Raidin, just curious since you have so many miles have you ever used Lucas Synthetic Oil stabilizer?

I use their fuel treatment with my gas fill ups on my GS and RX and notice couple mpg difference. Lot of people swear by Lucas.

7. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never have. Never even heard of this stuff.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  8. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Great pictures, Raidin! Thanks for sharing. I think it's short-sided for Lexus to not continue selling the CT200h. I see tons of them in the Minneapolis area. Drive safe!

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nobody is perfect.
    Toyota Engine Oil Consumption Problem Explained
    Excessive oil consumption from defective piston rings in the 2.4L resulted in Toyota extending the powertrain warranty of effected models. The issue may extend to other engines, or simply be normal for the age and wear on the car.