1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(The Detroit News) Toyota's revamped Prius hybrid gains higher mileage, better interior

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The worst possible gas mileage you'll ever get in the 2010 Toyota Prius is 26.8 miles per gallon.

I know this because I did every thing humanly possible to beat this redesigned hybrid into submission.

The car's sticker reads an eye-popping 51 mpg city, 48 mpg highway -- 50 mpg combined -- and most people will best that mileage without even trying. So I had to see what it would do if I did everything wrong.

I rolled the windows down, turned the AC on high and gunned the 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine in the parking lot, hoping to spin the optional 17-inch low rolling resistant tires in defiance; let's put all 134 horses, a combined total from the engine and electric motor, to work.

Toyota's revamped Prius hybrid gains higher mileage, better interior | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Bare with him. It's not as bad as it seems.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A good read, even a negative review is very positive. I'm looking forward to reading the fan drive impressions.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HOLY :censored:!!!

And this guy's a critic for the Detroit News? I wonder if he feared for his job when he submitted this report.

5. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is actually a good review - you just have to read the whole article.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yep, it is actually the best review of new prius, and the most positive one, coming from unexpected source.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

and it seems 17" model is "sport" version, as it does have much quicker steering ratio + wider tires, something that apperantly US marketing folks did not know :p

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow! This is from a Detroit reviewer?

Imagine the mileage without the 17" wheels and extra weight?

Still, to have done that well (poorly) on the loaded machine, trying to get the worst possible mileage . . . It makes me think I might get pretty decent mileage on a Platinum package! And enjoy the ride even more!!

9. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    4Stars!!! Not bad.:)

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did read the whole article indicated if only by my quote of the last sentence.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't help but to ask how Top Gear managed to get 17 MPG with the Iconic Prius?

The guy bashed the Iconic Gen II to the point it is not true though.

12. Guy in WNY

Guy in WNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    usb,
    The Top Gear folks just ran the car Wide Open Throttle around and around the track. You didn't watch the Youtube video, I take it? When you drive your Prius WOT for a few miles, the mileage is not so good, according to these folks. But, unless you happen to live near the Autobahn? then you don't have to worry about that nonsense.
    The guy that did that show did not do his research. He starts out showing a map and saying something about where the materials for the battery come from, but then never really makes a statement that links it all together. I bet he thinks the Hummer weighs less than a Prius, and cheese comes from the moon!
    Guy in WNY.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I saw it but I don't remember the video providing details... Did they floor it and then shift to Neutral (circumvent re-gen braking)? Stuff like that.

Prius can climb up a bridge at 47 MPH at 30 MPG. However, going back down use no fuel so should average 60 MPG. For Top Gear to average 17 MPG is just mind boggling.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

why not? just city driving in my GS will get me 12 mpg, let alone flooring it on the track, which would probably get low single digits... yes, it will get almost 30 mpg at steady 55 mph in perfect conditions, which happens 0.01% of my drive time.

that was really well written article by informed writer

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only watched bits (?) of the video but typically driving for performance on a track involves going WOT on the straightaways, being VERY hard on the brakes before going into turns, accelerating briskly when unwinding from turns and being hard on the throttle after that. The WOT == bad mileage. Hard on brakes means throwing so much energy away via the friction brakes.

I took my former 02 Maxima on the track before and I forgot the mileage (the 2-4 mpg too high) trip computer told me but it was pretty awful compared to normal.

The bashing by Clarkson was moronic and some of the detnews writer's comments on the iconic Prius were exaggerated, off the mark and inaccurate. However, at least he gave the 3rd gen a positive review.

16. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On the track, most cars will get fuel economy in the single digits when flogged. Diesels and hybrids are the exception.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I thoughly enjoyed the review in part because the driver didn't realize what it takes to put Prius mileage 'in the dirt.' Frankly, I have no real interested in educating him. But for us:
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice the green line is the maximum acceleration MPG. Now one of the first things someone will do with the ZVH30 is to plot a similar curve for for maximum acceleration to find out how well EGR and the dual, variable valves work. But for "Top Gear," the first part was a maximum acceleration that probably forces an overly rich mixture so the exhaust heat won't burn out the catalytic converter.

The second part is to brake to ABS full involvement. This exceeds the energy capture capability of MG2 and the traction battery. It converts momentum into heated brake pads.

All the reviewer had to do was "Bang the stops" drive the Prius and he would achieved the worst possible mileage. But the EGR and 1.8L engine control laws probably limit the worst case MPG.

We won't know until we get a chance to plot the maximum acceleration if the green MPG line is basicly flat at ~25 MPG or has some slope or shape. Interesting times are coming.

Bob Wilson