1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The difference between "Good" and "Great"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by The Electric Me, May 2, 2013.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose for almost every "Prius" newbie, there is a point of amazement.

My Honda Fit was considered an economical sub-compact. In good weather conditions, and with conservative driving techniques applied I was most often able to get about what Honda presented as the EPA...28 city, 32 highway and a combined 30 mpg. Not bad for a sub-compact.

Last night I came home from work in my new Mid-Sized Prius, and being late with little traffic I paid a little more attention to the HSI indicator and tried just a little to "hypermile". Not with too much effort. When I got home and turned the vehicle off...my MPG for the trip was presented as 65 mpg. Okay? Now even if that is Crazy Toyota Computer optimistic, which I suspect it was, that's still amazing fuel economy. Shave 5,6,7 mpg gallon off the estimate....it's still good.

I know some of this HSD newness will wear off...but initially as I thought I would be, I'm impressed. You buy a hybrid, you want the technology to do what it is advertised to do, and so far? The Prius has been amazing.

As far as fuel efficiency goes, I've now experienced the difference between commonly held standards of ICE "Good" and current hybrid standards of "Great".

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota seems to have mastered 'under promise, over deliver', which is the secret to success.

ewxlt66 likes this.
  3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Based on the experience of others your display is probably ~6% optimistic, so you're close to 61.3 mpg for that trip.

4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did a 104 mile round trip, moderate speed 25-60 mph. Me and my wife somewhat dry weather
    and temps in the mid 50-s.

Calulated mpg was 61.89, MPG computer was 61.9. Same station different pump, same method used both
    times, slow speed and first click remove nozzle.

My theory is in warmer weather fuel expands to compensate for difference in computer readout. In cold weather
    perhaps the fuel contracts causing a higher error.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's kinda crazy isn't it? I mean just when you think that the competition has finally caught up it turns out you almost have to hypermile to get their EPA estimates. You don't have to hypermile to get the EPA estimates In a Prius and if you do, your mpg numbers go through the roof. :)

6. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When my 2010 Prius III MFD HSI Trip estimates 65 mpg it is normally about 3 to 4 mpg overly optimistic.

My Prius normally average between 60 to 65 mpg (computed at each fillup) in the Spring for my regular 16 mile one way commute with the Prius. In the summer and early spring I can average 70 mpg at times (both ways) but then the Prius fuel efficiency drops during the winter time to about 53 to 58 mpg ... when I take the Prius on an extended road trip (+500 miles in one day) on the superhighway( >60 mph) , the Prius' MPG drops depending on how fast I drive... 80 mph (=44 mpg)

saver likes this.
  7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And the best thing is that this number will improve as your hypermiling techniques improve/adjust for the car and as the car "breaks in" and the tires wear a bit.

Nicely done!

8. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Not likely ... it is most likely to be fuel up error ... I had done now 100+ fuel ups and I can tell when something was wrong at the pump (happened maybe 3 times premature click off). The computer is over btw 5-6% every other time NEVER shows less than what calculated EVER so the positive bias is proven by hundreds of us who keeps record. ( I have kept record for the Gen II but that computer was pretty accurate without this positive bias )

9. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good post! I don't think it ever wears off. Even when I beat a record, I still have those times like last weekend where I don't get great gas mileage so I start the week trying to meet my record yet again...well, or at least become a member of the 600 club! :ROFLMAO: I think the biggest accomplishment with the Prius is just changing perspectives about traffic. I used to drain me to the point when I would get home and couldn't talk for 30 minutes...it was just so stressful. Now, I seem to relax more and enjoy the opportunity to use the battery more and accomplish better gas mileage.

DadofHedgehog, Bob G IA and Codyroo like this.
  10. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good for you. Another interesting thing about the Prius you can have great MPG days and NOT so great MPG days. The not so great days will rarely, if ever, be below 45MPG. Pretty nice!

11. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    With winter out of the way I can "just drive it" and exceed the c's EPA city rating by 10-15 miles per gallon. This is a great little car.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Huh? What do you mean 'wear off?' <grins>

Actually what happens in my case, I pose a question to myself and look around for answers. Even if I find a credible answer, I then construct an experiment to test . . . and run the experiment. Since October 2005, I've been doing a lot of experimentation.

Now my experiments are not so frequent as much as I try to mentor those new to the NHW11 about what I've learned. It doesn't always work and sometimes . . . <sigh> . . . But we do have a great team of diagnosticians hanging in the NHW11 forum and we are often bouncing ideas off of each other. Best of all, we know each other and with respect will 'translate' into 'newbie' as needed. <grins>

You have a really excellent Prius and I would like to suggest:
    • get the SAE papers - this will be engineers speaking about what they did to make that little puppy
    • get the "New Car Features" - not quite as technical, these are available from the TIS (rent access) and are written more for the Toyota Service technicians . . . and we can usually understand them too!
    • consider getting Diagnostics and Maintenance Manuals (shop manuals) - expensive, these are your 'road map' around the car and what is 'under the panel.'
    You've got a great little ride and your cheeks are going to hurt from the smiling. Try not to giggle in public . . . unless your co-workers already know you're 'a bit off.' <wink>

Enjoy!

Bob Wilson

Bob G IA likes this.
  13. Graymalkin56

Graymalkin56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My first extended drive in a brand new Prius 3: 60 miles at 49.9 MPG. The drive home: 53.7 MPG. And I'm a rank newbie. So far about 300 miles on half a tank. This car is phenomenal.

ewxlt66 likes this.
  14. Kore971

Kore971 PEDD-CESC

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I love my Prius, it is a well engineered machine, and constantly surpasses my expectations, 2 years of ownership and I still learn something new every time I drive it :)

Bob G IA likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yup! Even if I don't try, it's 53mpg easy in the summer (55mpg shown on the display). That's 3mpg better than our 2005 (I recorded 50mpg on a tank once).

F8L likes this.
  16. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    slap energy savers a/s and then take a picture of your reaction!

17. Bob G IA

Bob G IA Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I agree with what you said about having a different perspective about traffic. I used to be constantly pushing to find openings or the fastest lane so I could negotiate traffic as quick as possible. Now I'm willing to blend with traffic and if an opportunity to glide comes up without affecting traffic I will see how far I can go.
    I did at one time have a 1975 3/4 ton pickup with a 350CID and a granny 4 speed. That pickup had a vacuum gauge with 3 ranges, green, yellow & red. Its surprising how that instantaneous feedback will change a person's habits. I would often lift my foot when I would see the vacuum gauge get into the red zone. The sad part is.... I was happy back then when I could get 14 MPG with that truck.
    Today I needed to haul some stuff with my 1996 Suburban. I was so surprised how old habits of pushing down the pedal without thinking about the effects came back. I have a Scan Gauge II that I use with my Suburban, mostly when towing our camper. It always frustrates me when coasting down hills or towards a stop sign at highway speeds and the instantaneous MPG only goes up to maybe 40 and quickly starts dropping.... Its so disappointing to think how much fuel it is still using with my foot of the gas.

18. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a former Fit owner as well, first gen sport trim with manual transmission. Drove that car till 200,000km and averaged 32mpg 20% city driving.
    43,000km later the HSD newness hasn't worn off for me yet.
    Still look forward to driving my v every day. 80% of my driving is city now, lots of hills, not many level sections but still average 42mpg, only a couple of times when it was really cold when i lived in Edmonton i got as low as 37mpg, but for the most part its 42mpg or better these days.
    I am envious of the liftback mpg, but then again my v doubles as a "work van" so I can live with its "not so great" mpg. ;)

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've observed the same thing in crowds, in my case commuters coming off a train, headed for escalators. Most are willing to move with the tide, take it easy; but there's always a few obsessed with shouldering ahead, almost tripping people in their compulsion to get to the head of the line.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Here's some motivation :). 70mph with cruise (granted it was pretty warm that day.. I think 22°C-25°C). 5.6L/100km isn't too bad, esp since that's the combined mileage of the EPA rating (my dad's getting that mileage on the 2005 but he doesn't hypermile like I do cause my record on the 2005 is 3.9L/100km over 858km). Take advantage of the rolling hills if possible.

IMG_0588.jpg

jonb505 likes this.