1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The difference between "Good" and "Great"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by The Electric Me, May 2, 2013.

1. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Normal non hybrid cars that can get around 40 MPG are becoming more common. I just drove my son's manual Fiesta for the first time... 1.6L with a great clutch and steering feel. It was indicating 38 MPG and when I got back after 65 miles of driving it was indicating 42 MPG. This car shows about 1.5 to 2 mpg under what it's really getting, so not too bad.

But then when we compare that to a normally driven Prius, it just doesn't even come close. Our red third Gen is averaging between 52-55 MPG. In Florida (recent trip), I was getting around 60-62 MPG on the extremely flat ground down there under urban and suburban conditions (in daytime temperatures near 90 degrees).

Great to see that you've switched from the competent and highly usable Fit to the highly competent, highly usable and extremely fuel efficient Prius. Congrats!!!

This is our second Prius and the HSD newness hasn't worn off yet. Definitely still enjoy driving this car.

2. Graymalkin56

Graymalkin56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not doing a good job with the gas mileage. Used up the second half of the tank after only 150 miles. Just filled up with 8.9 gallons. Trying to figure out how to keep a cumulative record of MPG and fuel-ups.

Unfortunately, my commute home in the evening requires stop-and-go driving up a series of small hills. That uses the gas engine a lot, and I'm getting maybe 22-25 MPG. The commute to work, on the other hand, routinely gets 40-45 MPG in stop-and-go driving downhill. :)

Just calculated my first tank -- 380 miles on 8.9 gallons = 42.6 MPG. Not too bad, after all. But that includes 120 miles of highway driving where I got 50-plus. Without that, I'd probably be in the 35 MPG level. Better than my old Camry, but still.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is a link to some info. that might help!
    Max MPG Driving Techniques Youtube Video | PriusChat
    Give it some time, you will get better mileage in the next tank! :) I'm positive!