1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The dreaded "black out".

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DisgruntledGirlie, Nov 25, 2016.

1. DisgruntledGirlie

DisgruntledGirlie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys,

New here and I have what the title states, dash lights don't work. Was at first trying to get it repaired under the extended warranty but my dealership said that was a "no go" a while back.

I was "living with it" for a while because sometimes it would work and sometimes not, but now they never work and beyond other safety issues, I'm tired of setting myself reminders to get gas (reverse lights not working cus of it is also a big one) so have decided to pay for the repair.

Anyway, I'm just a little skeptical that my dealership "knows what they are doing". It was my understanding that to replace the part legitimately, the "bad part" would need to be removed and sent off. Is this not the case? As they have made no mention of taking out the defective combination meter until the new part comes in. It's possible that since the odometer would shed no light on mileage due to never working, that this step could be skipped in my case (or maybe it was never an actual step, and I've misunderstood what I've researched).

If anyone could shed some light on the typical process to replacing the combination meter at a dealership, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Always check the 12v battery first.

bisco likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.

Your posting in the wrong section. Put your post in the G2 Maintenance and Troubleshooting section. There's lots of discussion over there about the "Combo meter" repair. You can use the search function also.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The dealer said "no go?" Read the attached file, take it to the dealer, and try that again.

Attached Files:

5. DisgruntledGirlie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I did the standard check with the center console thingamagig screen and it reported it as being fine. Had also been at the dealership a number of times over the issue and at the last visit I told them to check it (no way of knowing if they did though)

Bin trying to get the combination meter replaced for over a year now.

6. DisgruntledGirlie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took that to them in the first place. No cooperation from them on it.

They gave me some story bout them not being liable since I purchased the car in a different country/region than I am currently... which is a different situation than most find themselves in in this forum, so... could be true, could be shady, who knows.

#6 DisgruntledGirlie, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  7. DisgruntledGirlie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, sorry.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's a USA warranty. OP is in the Bahamas.