1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The dreaded Check Hybrid System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SteveLee, Nov 29, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You could have gotten a new battery, but now that you reset the code, you’ll have to wait until it pops up again.
    Unless it is stored in memory

Raytheeagle, Mendel Leisk and amos like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, don't shoot the messenger.

bisco, Raytheeagle and amos like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I thought that line is @Air_Boss ’s:p.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes Toyota will give you a new battery under warranty BUT you have to get the car down there with the codes thrown. No codes actively illuminated on the dash, no problem in Toyota Tech world. Get the codes on the dash and get it recorded under warranty and start the process. You won the battery lottery!

amos likes this.
  5. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Im almost sure aodes are kept and dealer can see all of them
    So far no cel and no other lights. Lets see if this comes back soon. I hate going there but will do it for a free battery. Anyways need to take care of that recent recall and probably get rid of this car sometimes next year. Feels like more troubles are coming soon with all the driving i do. About 4000 miles a month.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's been more than a few discussions, on how to push a battery "over the edge". How about a few steep hill climbs... :whistle:

amos, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Theres a 25 miles stretch of uphill that im pushing that that prius. Grade of 6% driving at 70-75 mph. Battery was ok there even when temps outside in the summer are almost 120 degs. Battery was solid. Maybe this coming summer battery will die. Who knows.

bisco, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you clear the codes though, they aren't kept. But in normal situations where the code "heals itself" a record of the code is logged and stored. There there are fields like the distance driven and time since the codes were last cleared.

A Prius is great for 4k miles a month driving. There's a reason why they're used as taxis everywhere. Ask any taxi fleet owner with them and they'll tell you the maintenance costs are substantially lower than any other vehicle on the road.

amos likes this.
  9. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking bout how this happened.
    That morning i left my car on. Totally forgot about it. And came back after 30 minutes. In that half an hour there were lots of charging cycles . later after two drive sections. I got this code for battery and hybrid. Now im thinking maybe some cells are not 100% anymore.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    30 minutes won't hurt anything. people camp in them and use them for generators for days at a time. you just have a defective pack, it happens. the car doesn't cycle much unless there is large draw

amos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well at least i know what to do next . this time i got a little confused when i saw that dreaded triangle for the first time. Next time hoping for a new battery. Thanks a lot for that tip @bisco .

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got that triangle again. About 1000 miles after resetting it. Have to continue driving about 100 miles. Will check it at barstow about an hour drive. Hoping its the battery again and not something serious so i can get to the dealer timorow morning if they are open.
    Meanwhile battery is on 2 bars from bottom and engine wont stop.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. LeonardoSalgado

LeonardoSalgado New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi There.
    Prius 2011, about 103k miles, maintenance up to date, fairly new 12v battery. Lost power while driving, the Check Hybrid System heading came up on the dashboard. Made it to a shoulder safely and got the car towed home, thinking that I could maybe reset it. Tried restarting it but it won't turn on. The check engine, check hybrid system, slip indicator, and tire pressure lights all come up, and I am unable to shift to D to get it moving. The Check Hybrid System heading keeps coming up on the dashboard. Disconnected the v12 battery but nothing changed when reconnected.

Is there a way to reset this with a start button procedure or anything else? Should I get a scanner and check for errors myself? Just trying to find out what I can do to avoid getting scammed at the dealer with some "let's try changing this for this much" bs. Thanks!

14. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are some codes that can be thrown by a failing or failed HV battery or even just mice chewing through insulation, that are logged and stored until forcibly cleared because they are deemed safety issues. Such as high voltage isolation leaks. You really should have a code reader to see what's up.

You won't be able to get it into gear unless READY appears. No READY. No vroom...

How long did you leave the 12v battery disconnected for? Did you lose your radio presets and automatic window settings? If not, then not long enough.