1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Dreaded Rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Washington1788, Aug 23, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emtownsend @ Sep 11 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]510671[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip. I will check the passenger side window piller.

It seems like the rattles kind of move around the car. Could this be due to the eight speaker sound system? Maybe Toyota installed microphones all over and the computer plays the rattles out of various speaker to discourage the do it yourself mechanics.

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Our Prius is wrought with rattles at 30k miles. Its actually one of the rattlyist cars I've ever owned, moreso than my old 97 Explorer at 160k miles. Really surprises me. When we drive down the highway a significant amount of time is spent trying to locate rattles, its terrible.

$30k car shouldn't be that way.

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Our Prius is wrought with rattles at 30k miles. Its actually one of the rattlyist cars I've ever owned, moreso than my old 97 Explorer at 160k miles. Really surprises me. When we drive down the highway a significant amount of time is spent trying to locate rattles, its terrible.

$30k car shouldn't be that way.

4. PriusDiver

PriusDiver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Sep 11 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]510704[/snapback]</div>
    Thats an interesting suggestion, I think it just has to do with the weird acoustics at play in car full of hard surfaces at odd angles.

Nice avatar btw, I wonder if our Prius have seen eachother. What area of Portland are you in? I'm in SE, not too far from the New Seasons on Tacoma.

5. PriusDiver

PriusDiver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Sep 11 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]510704[/snapback]</div>
    Thats an interesting suggestion, I think it just has to do with the weird acoustics at play in car full of hard surfaces at odd angles.

Nice avatar btw, I wonder if our Prius have seen eachother. What area of Portland are you in? I'm in SE, not too far from the New Seasons on Tacoma.

6. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDiver @ Sep 12 2007, 02:02 AM) [snapback]511123[/snapback]</div>
    True... The reason I found PriusDriver's post funny was that I spent, I dont' know how long, pushing, pulling, opening, closing, the suglass holder and the map lights only to find that the sound was really coming from the right front of the car! No wonder I never could get it to stop...
    SW03ES, I am hoping that doesn't happen to me... Rattles really grate my nerves. The one I am having in the front right mimmicks the sound of a blown speaker and actually interferes with my music unless I crank it. Toyota's are pretty solid cars in my past experience, so I am hopeful that progressive rattles will not happen... Here's to hoping! But if not, I will track down the rattles and mercilessly terminate them! :D

7. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDiver @ Sep 12 2007, 02:02 AM) [snapback]511123[/snapback]</div>
    True... The reason I found PriusDriver's post funny was that I spent, I dont' know how long, pushing, pulling, opening, closing, the suglass holder and the map lights only to find that the sound was really coming from the right front of the car! No wonder I never could get it to stop...
    SW03ES, I am hoping that doesn't happen to me... Rattles really grate my nerves. The one I am having in the front right mimmicks the sound of a blown speaker and actually interferes with my music unless I crank it. Toyota's are pretty solid cars in my past experience, so I am hopeful that progressive rattles will not happen... Here's to hoping! But if not, I will track down the rattles and mercilessly terminate them! :D

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emtownsend @ Sep 13 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]511945[/snapback]</div>
    I cannot stand rattles either, and they're really getting out of hand. Maybe they've improved in this department since the 04s I don't know.

Now...my fiance has never missed a pothole so that might have something to do with it since she drives the Prius primarily. I am very careful when I drive but she's not...

9. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDiver @ Sep 12 2007, 12:02 AM) [snapback]511123[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the compliment. If you know that bridge, you can appreciate what it took to drive the Prius across it. I actually updated my signature to indicate I live in Camas, WA, Prune Hill, if you know that area, but I appreciate Portland very much also.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kohnen @ Aug 23 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]501157[/snapback]</div>
    Kohnen,
    You were correct, it was my passenger side A pillar cover. Whenever I hear the rattle, I reach over and hold the A-pillar cover and the noise stops. I didn't see any place where there was a gap large enough to wedge in clear plastic tubing. Some foam might work. I think I'll go out there now with some foam and a small putty knife. Anyone know what the dealer does to fix these? I would like to fix it myself, rather thay dropping off the car at a dealer for the day and getting rides to and from the dealer.

Oh and Kohnen, I like your Late Night show. Can't wait to see you on the Tonight show in two years.

10. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

I got that passenger side near the glove compartment rattle about 4 times in the past 5,000 miles. They all lasted a couple of minutes and disappeared. It's a mystery.

11. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just wondering what TP those with rattles have. My 2007 was totally rattle free until I increased TP to 40/38, now I have them in lots of places when I hit bumps or rough road. Nothing too loud, but there nonetheless.

12. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Sep 14 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]512616[/snapback]</div>
    The tire pressure is definately a factor. Mine is as 42/40, and I changed it early on, so I cannot say I had the rattles before I raised the tire pressure. I am about to lower my tire pressure for winter, and to determine how much difference it realy makes for MPG.

Meanwhile, The passenger side window piller trim was deffinatly one of the culprets in my case, as I could reach over and quiet it down. Then I fixed that by pressing small peices of foam rubber in between that trim and window and dash.

As soon as I fixed the window pillar rattle, I noticed the clear lense for the map lights rattled and pressing on this stopped that rattle imediately. So I removed the overhead console and placed one dop of glue on each of the tabs. I used Elmers Carpenter's Wood Glue, becuase it will stick to the tabs well enough to stop the rattle, but can be easily removed in case the lense ever needs replacing. Here are the pics.

Lense
    [attachmentid=11488]

You need to remove the PCB (Three Screws in Green circles) to get to all six tabe. Yellow Arrow shows four press fit fasteners that hold the overhead console in place, and the electrical tape I wrapped around the fasteners in an earlier attempt to quiet the rattles.
    [attachmentid=11492]

Six lense Tab locations
    [attachmentid=11490]

Drop of glue on each of six tabs. I used wood glue so it could be easily removed if needed later.
    [attachmentid=11491]

Attached Files:

13. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am happy to report the credit card trick -in the right hand pillar, where the SRS meets the dash- worked to stop my major rattle. Now to make it more permenant!
    Thanks for the great tips!