1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The dreaded search for winter tires

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bltman, Oct 29, 2012.

1. bltman

bltman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do I obsess over my purchase of snow tires? This seems to happen every 5 years when I get new ones. I keep trying to tell myself that any snow tire is better than all seasons but I still end up doing way too much researching.

Thankfully I am coming to the end of my search for winters for my Prius v. Basically, in the price range I am looking at (under $750 for the full package of tires, steel wheels and installation), I am down to 2 options – General Altimax or Hankook 409. The cost for 4 tires, 16” steel rims and installation in the Toronto area is exactly the same for both. I have read great things about the Altimax but the tire guy indicated the Hankook’s were LRR tires and because of that suggested them for the v. I have not been able to confirm that the Hankook's are LRR ties, but assuming they are, I am debating whether I go for a tire that will give a bit better grip (Altimax) vs a bit better mileage (Hankook). Any thoughts?

2. Groger

Groger Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I have the Hankook's on my 2 cars (Corolla and Sentra) with studs and we love them.

I also could not find anything that said that the Hankook's were LRR's. When I looked at www.tirerack.com the only one that was listed for the Prius V was the General Tire.

The fact that you are getting winter tires is a fantastic idea.