1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The dumbest questions you were ever asked about your Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusOwner004, Sep 12, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never been asked a dumb question about either my Prius or my Xebra. In the early days, some people asked if I had to plug it in. That's not a dumb question. It merely shows that the person does not know how the car works. I've been asked what mileage I get, and whether I like it. Nobody's ever asked me how fast the Prius goes. (I've been asked how fast the Xebra goes. That's a reasonable question, with the limits imposed on NEVs.) I've been asked how long the battery will last; but that, too, is a reasonable question to ask.

The most common question about the Prius is, "How do you like it?" but even that is less common as the car becomes more common.

The most common questions about the Xebra are range, speed, cost, and charging time.

All good questions. It's never dumb to ask a question you don't know the answer to. It's only dumb if a reasonable person who has no previous knowledge of the item should be expected to know the answer based on common sense.

"Can it fly?" would be a dumb question to ask about the Prius.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never been asked a dumb question about either my Prius or my Xebra. In the early days, some people asked if I had to plug it in. That's not a dumb question. It merely shows that the person does not know how the car works. I've been asked what mileage I get, and whether I like it. Nobody's ever asked me how fast the Prius goes. (I've been asked how fast the Xebra goes. That's a reasonable question, with the limits imposed on NEVs.) I've been asked how long the battery will last; but that, too, is a reasonable question to ask.

The most common question about the Prius is, "How do you like it?" but even that is less common as the car becomes more common.

The most common questions about the Xebra are range, speed, cost, and charging time.

All good questions. It's never dumb to ask a question you don't know the answer to. It's only dumb if a reasonable person who has no previous knowledge of the item should be expected to know the answer based on common sense.

"Can it fly?" would be a dumb question to ask about the Prius.

3. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Is that a Prius?" while standing at the rear of the vehicle.

Runners-up:
    "So you plug it in every night?"
    "Where do you get new batteries?"

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Is that a Prius?" while standing at the rear of the vehicle.

Runners-up:
    "So you plug it in every night?"
    "Where do you get new batteries?"

5. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Well, it gets good city fuel economy, but it only gets 25 mpg highway, right?"

Sadly, that was more a statement of fact than a question, but I included it anyway.

Harry

6. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Well, it gets good city fuel economy, but it only gets 25 mpg highway, right?"

Sadly, that was more a statement of fact than a question, but I included it anyway.

Harry

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    "When the batteries go bad it's gonna cost $5,000 or $10,000, right?"

When I tell them it'll be closer to $3,000 and probably lower, it's still a reason not to get a Prius as they don't want to spend that much for repair; ignoring the fact that they probably just spent that on their transmission.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    "When the batteries go bad it's gonna cost $5,000 or $10,000, right?"

When I tell them it'll be closer to $3,000 and probably lower, it's still a reason not to get a Prius as they don't want to spend that much for repair; ignoring the fact that they probably just spent that on their transmission.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

"so how long does the battery last?"
    me, about 5 times longer than the transmission in your car.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

"so how long does the battery last?"
    me, about 5 times longer than the transmission in your car.

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 12 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]511214[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, I like this viewpoint. I suppose I tire of the "How far can it go?" and "Where does it plug in?" questions, but each time someone asks, I should refrain from rolling my eyes and take the opportunity to thank people for their interest and offer kindly and considerate explanations. Unfortunately, this may take some adjustment on my part. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 12 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]511214[/snapback]</div>
    OK. You've got me. The answer is . . .?

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Daniel, I like this viewpoint. I suppose I tire of the "How far can it go?" and "Where does it plug in?" questions, but each time someone asks, I should refrain from rolling my eyes and take the opportunity to thank people for their interest and offer kindly and considerate explanations. Unfortunately, this may take some adjustment on my part. :rolleyes:

OK. You've got me. The answer is . . .?

13. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Daniel is right. It is clear that people do not have a clue how a Prius works. I am an engineer and work in an office full of engineers. (mechanical, electrical, etc). You would think that they would be more likely to know how a Hybrid works. Nearly all of them have asked me if it needs to be plugged in, and how long the batteries last. One guy also stated that there is no way that it could get 50mpg on the highway without depleating the battery to get extra energy. I explained that the engine runs on the Atkinson cycle(more efficient than the Otto cycle - he is a chemical engineer, so he understood that) and the car is very aerodynamic. Thus, it can exceed 50mpg even at 65mph.

It is truly a revolutionary car which is very different than a "normal" car. Its operation is much more complicated that a normal car. It is expected that people do not understand it.

14. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Daniel is right. It is clear that people do not have a clue how a Prius works. I am an engineer and work in an office full of engineers. (mechanical, electrical, etc). You would think that they would be more likely to know how a Hybrid works. Nearly all of them have asked me if it needs to be plugged in, and how long the batteries last. One guy also stated that there is no way that it could get 50mpg on the highway without depleating the battery to get extra energy. I explained that the engine runs on the Atkinson cycle(more efficient than the Otto cycle - he is a chemical engineer, so he understood that) and the car is very aerodynamic. Thus, it can exceed 50mpg even at 65mph.

It is truly a revolutionary car which is very different than a "normal" car. Its operation is much more complicated that a normal car. It is expected that people do not understand it.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Me: "I'll give you a ride"
    Friend: "Ok, but the [mountain] bike won't fit"
    Me: "Why not?" <folds seats, loads bike>
    Friend: <eyes wide open> "Whoa!"

"How often you do have to change your battery? Like.. every year or something?"

"Oh, you have a Prius? Yeah I heard about having to replace the battery and... "
    "Really? Maybe you should ask the cab drivers. They've done well over 160,000kms, some hitting 300,000kms."

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Me: "I'll give you a ride"
    Friend: "Ok, but the [mountain] bike won't fit"
    Me: "Why not?" <folds seats, loads bike>
    Friend: <eyes wide open> "Whoa!"

"How often you do have to change your battery? Like.. every year or something?"

"Oh, you have a Prius? Yeah I heard about having to replace the battery and... "
    "Really? Maybe you should ask the cab drivers. They've done well over 160,000kms, some hitting 300,000kms."

17. mgipe

mgipe New Member

How can you afford it? Isn't a Prius real expensive?

18. mgipe

mgipe New Member

How can you afford it? Isn't a Prius real expensive?

19. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

"Is insurance higher than other cars?"
    "No"
    "So its just a little higher like a sports car?"
    "No. Its probably even less than a regular car as it has a wide array of safety features."
    The guy was still convinced insurance must be higher than other cars...

20. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

"Is insurance higher than other cars?"
    "No"
    "So its just a little higher like a sports car?"
    "No. Its probably even less than a regular car as it has a wide array of safety features."
    The guy was still convinced insurance must be higher than other cars...